Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I did a quick search but couldn‘t find anyone with the same issue. I cleaned my RSQ3 for the first time yesterday and noticed that the silver matt trim has a strange mottled effect once it dried. This disappears once wet, but then dries back to an ugly speckled effect. Has anyone else seen this or can advise on the best products to decontaminate and then protect it back to a matt finish please?

·
Registered
66 Posts
interesting. What did you wash it with ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - I just used my regular Autoglym car wash shampoo.

I have applied some turtlewax ice for now, which seems to have done the trick in masking the issue, but would like to fix it properly if possible. I noticed the wheel nut covers have been pretty much stripped of their colour so wonder if someone has used overly aggressive acid based cleaning products in its previous life 😢

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
I had the same issue on an A4 Cabrio I bought used from Exeter Audi a few years ago - when I viewed it to buy it was fine - by the time I collected it a cleaning bay drongo and sprayed what was suspected to be wheel cleaning acid over the whole car - the paint survived but the stainless trims didn't, The worst affected area was the trim that the rear of the hood sat on. Replacement is the only solution.

Reactions: SepangRSQ3

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
I think that's exactly what's happened, I experienced similar when a local bodyshop repaired some serious scrapes left down the side of my Q3 by a careless White Van Man parking. this included the silver wheelarch trims which needed respraying. The bodyshop did a lovely job but the morning after I collected it I noticed the same thing. On returning to them it transpired that they'd used a new paint cleaning agent of some sort that a supplier had exhorted them to try. End result - they had to cut back and respray the entire affected area of silver trim.

Reactions: SepangRSQ3

·
Registered
Audi Q3 2015, S Line Plus, 2.0 TDI, Automatic
23 Posts
Hi,

Perhaps you could vinyl wrap the trim pieces all around?

Would save you a lot of money compared to getting it replaced or resprayed.

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
That's a very valid suggestion Brandon!

Reactions: Brandon_t123

·
Registered
RSQ3 Performance Dec 66 plate,
57 Posts

I have applied some turtlewax ice for now, which seems to have done the trick in masking the issue, but would like to fix it properly if possible. I noticed the wheel nut covers have been pretty much stripped of their colour so wonder if someone has used overly aggressive acid based cleaning products in its previous life 😢
Sounds like its been in a cheap car wash, My wheel bolt covers went the same way, But thankfully not my upper trims like yours . I just got new covers for my wheel nuts, Good luck with the trims.

·
Registered
RSQ3 Performance Dec 66 plate,
57 Posts
There is a pic off my wheel nut covers on the (other) Audi site, Im not clever with I T ect, But John may help, > John'

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
Oh Alan, you sell yourself short - see the little picture icon below here in the tool bar just to the right of the link icon - you can attach pictures direct to your post on this site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice guys. Having done a bit more reading, it seems other Audi owners have been affected and some put it down to the clowns at these car washes using brick acid to clean cars!! Of course most of the time, owners would just drive off oblivious to the damage and then have zero comeback.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would guess as you haven’t had the car long and only cleaned it with Autoglym shampoo that it was already like that when you purchased it and when they prepped your car for collection they have done what you have done and masked it polish.

·
Registered
2 Posts

anything with an acid base will cause the discolour of the crome and strip the top coat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts