Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can someone post some pictures of the SD type sat nav screen in action please i would like to see the quality of the graphics compared to the HDD version. Was thinking of getting mine unlocked but some people reckon the graphics are pants and you are better off sticking with a tomtom, cannot believe a car of this quality would be let down by a crummy sat nav system surely. Only had the HDD version demo in the showroom.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I haven't got mine yet but the best I can do is this...

http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/audi-q3-navigation-activation-kit

I think it should be well adequate and is similar to that built-into my Jaguar which has served me well for 7 years. The screens seem to be very clear and uncluttered - if you have too much detail or fancy graphics it can be too much to take in at a glance while driving. SWMBO has a Garmin (IMHO better than a TomTom) and the illustration shown is at least as good as that.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks ok to me thanks for the reply, would be nice to see some real screen shots though if anyone can assist.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
There are actually a couple of pics in the Member Galleries section of this website. The following two I think give a pretty decent comparison between the two screens:
This one shows Satnav on the 6.5" screen (so I am assuming SD)http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t477/chippychap1/IMG_1283.jpg
And this one on the full 7" screenhttp://i14.servimg.com/u/f14/15/94/42/44/img_4821.jpg

I personally have the 7" HDD version and love it. The 6.5" screen does look noticeably lower resolution, but the graphics seem pretty similar. The best thing about integrated Satnav though is the integration with the Driver Information Display. I can only assume that you still get this with the SD system, but getting directions displayed in the instrument cluster is a huge advantage (in my opinion) over an external device (Tomtom etc.). Not to mention not having cables draped all over your dash for charging etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that ivyleaf, yeah the hi-def one looks really nice. SD option looks a little pixelated and cheap

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree, however I think the moire pattern in the photo potentially makes the pixelation look worse than it actually is. Assuming you already have your Q3 with the 6.5" screen, you would have a far better idea at the quality of the screen itself that I would (having never seen one in person). Presumably the quality in Satnav mode will be the same as the quality you see for the rest of your car functions. The actual maps themselves are as good as any I have seen on any other system. I would still definitely choose integrated over stand alone if it were me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your right the screen quality in menus is fantastic quality, think it will be the first purchase when i take delivery...thanks man

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have the SD card nav in our Q3 and the screen quality is very good, certainly not pixelated like in the pictures above. As was already stated I think that must be due to the camera, when you look at the screen you don't see that affect

·
Registered
613 Posts
I notice the DIS on the set of PhotoBucket images is the single-colour one - again, slightly lower resolution than the one included with the Technology Pack SatNav - but nice and clear - that's the first time I've seen that

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I prefer the monochrome DIS from the color one, noticed when i was test driving how crisp and clear the information was.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
<Nerd mode - ENGAGE>

What you're seeing is a curious phenomenon you get when the resolution of the photograph is fairly close to - but different to - that of the Sat/NAV display. You can get the same result if you try looking through two layers of nylon stockings or tights of a slightly different weave or denier overlaying each other...

...assuming you can get away with it without getting arrested. Or your face slapped.

<Nerd mode - DISENGAGE>

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL

now where did i put those tights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take these comments as coming from an old git and a luddite at that ... never having bothered with a sat nav of any description I had always checked google maps for any new destination; however as the Q3 we bought off the shelf so to speak had it already in the showroom then thought it might be quite fun to check out but would not have spent so much on this option if ordering afresh. MY findings below confirm my suspicions.

My version has the SD card - which is stamped 2012 - but the pack it came with says 2013 on the packaging. So I guess I might not have been given this years ... do any of you other guys have a 2013 car with sat nav SD card that shows 2012 on the media card?

Anyway the only time I gave it a go was to find a location in Buckinghamshire and it routed us to what looked like an old drovers lane (that was blocked off anyway) - so had to continue down single track lane bounded by the sort of vertical hedges found in Cornwall that led to a dead end in the middle of a wood! The location we were heading for (crematorium) was located across fields/wood so we were close to destination. Thus had to turn back and guess what a thumping huge huge truck appeared so had to back up and back up and back up for ages. By this time severe stress that we would miss the funeral.

Never again will I use it except perhaps by way of something for the wife to look at in conjunction with a paper map! Will use have to use iPad for traffic still.

Maybe naive but I thought that these things came with traffic conditions - no such luck. Also I've found that the speed limit icon is out-of-date so can't rely on that as a quick reminder of the speed limit.

It does integrate nicely of course the other features on the same screen.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Stux - as one old git to another - I can fully sympathise. I've used SAT/NAV for the last 7 years (since my Jaguar was supplied with it built-in) and in general I have found it invaluable. BUT...

A few similar experiences to yours soon after I started using it prompted me to (a) check the route first on Google Maps and enter a few waypoints in the SAT/NAV to ensure it wasn't going to lead me astray, and (b) check the destination using Google Streetview to familiarise myself with what it actually looked like. There is nothing worse than Samantha the SAT/NAV (sorry, the voice in the Jaguar sounds just like Samantha Bond - most distracting) announcing "You have arrived at your destination - your route guidance is complete" and leaving you in a totally unfamiliar area thinking "WTF is it??!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts