Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess you guys with SD Sat Nav,have by now had chance to work it all out and have various opinions of it.My very faithfull TomTom XL has died,my fault!! dropped it.Have any of you had experience of both SD and TomTom,if so,how do they compare.Would be interested in all comments,good and bad.The question then is,new TomTom £130 or £499 Audi SD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always gone for the built in option purely for convenience, does my head in messing with the mobile units.
The audi sd setup works well, guess obvious disadvantage is the updates aren't as good as the Tom Tom and speed warnings etc etc. I'd say if you plan keeping the car long term pay for the built in option, if you plan swapping in next year or so go with a mobile unit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have used Both - but I went for the full Technology Pack Sat Nav this time for convenience.
The Audi system is very good, and integrates nicely with the Driver Display system - voice commands etc - so far I haven't managed to get lost using it, but the maps aren't brilliantly up-to-date - there is a regular route I drive up the A46 which just isn't there, for example.

I think the TomTom system for traffic avoidance is also better, to be honest, and also bear in mind the cost of map updates for the Audi will, no doubt, be eye-wateringly expensive - almost like buying a new TomTom each time!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Having used both, and with the full Technology Pack in my Q3 (with online services too!), I would go with the SD card option. Built in is a great advantage, and although the updates are less frequent and more expensive, I think in reality it isn't likely to be an issue.We also have an A4 with Audi DVD sat nav, and the maps havent been updated for nearly 5 years, yet I cannot recall ever having encountered a road that wasn't on the map, and even if the odd new road did crop up, is it likely to be an issue?Traffic news is brilliant with online services. Audi uses the Inrix system, which uses feedback from equipped cars (not just Audi, but all Inrix users, and Inrix is a free download on Android and Iphone mobiles!), to assess road speed from GPS location. I came back yesterday from Brighton to London, and was able to avoid a major jam on the M25. Also, where the Audi system shows traffic obstructions, the Inrix based online traffic didn't, and I trusted the latter which proved correct.In my view, the better comparison for you is between a smartphone (if you have one) with navigation and Inrix, and SD. My suggestion is try the former first. If it works for you, great, if not....!There is another traffic and nav app called Waze for smartphones. Also very good in that it is updated realtime by users on the road, though I prefer Inrix.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Never heard of Inrix (Google that methinks!) - but am an avid user of Waze!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for your comments.I seem to be leaning towards the built in SD system,mainly for convenience.The cost is a bit off putting,but intending to keep the Q3 longterm so it seems the best option.Will shop around to see if I can blag some sort of discount.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Had a look at Inrix on the iPhone - but it's limited access for no cost - Waze is a full (and quite comprehensive) free app!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tried out Waze over the weekend - I had not heard of it before reading about it here. I have to say I am very impressed. It automatically picked up the bluetooth, the route and timings were spot on and it found exactly the right diversion around a slow bit of M6 yesterday afternoon.I held off on the SD satnav because my wife's recent Garmin was so much better than the DVD based system in my A6 and I think I might well be deciding to give the Audi satnav a miss this time round.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I must confess to using Waze more than the in-car Satnav... especially as it "learns" the routes I commonly use, so doesn't direct me (for example) up the M1 on the way home, as it knows I go cross-country at rush-hour.
I was told Apple offered waze much money for the software, but they turned them down...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Was considering the in car SatNav, but this Waze may have just saved me for £500

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Waze has to be one of the best tips I've picked up here, hopefully google won't make too many changes to it and keep up the cross-platform support. I'm using the in-built car nav with Waze as a backup and have it announcing traffic and camera's via bluetooth, works very well so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Contribution, what do you mean: have it announcing traffic and camera's via bluetooth ? I think I have missed something here.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Contrition has the phone high option (I have it too!), which displays online traffic on the MMI (Audi use the Inrix system for traffic updates). However, it does not, so far as I am aware, display cameras (speed cameras, presumably).As AfAX suggests, Contrition please clarify

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry, to clarify, I have phone prep high in the car and my phone running Waze when I drive. My phone is paired to the car for calls via Bluetooth. I'm not using Waze for directions to anywhere, I'm using the car's nav' system which is connected to online services for my route if I need it.

I start Waze before I drive off. On the phone in Waze settings/sound I have:
Device volume: low
Voice volume: high
Navigation guidance: Full
Play sound to phone speaker: Off
Prefer Bluetooth: On

Waze isn't giving me route instructions although I do refer to it to see if there are recent traffic updates from other "Wazers" on my route. Because I haven't given it a destination Waze isn't giving me turn by turn instructions but it reports the speed/traffic cameras that are marked before I reach them via bluetooth through the car speakers and also tells me if there's heavy traffic ahead on my route although the Q3 in-built nav usually takes me around traffic if it can because I have traffic avoidance on in the mmi.

Link to the Waze camera Wiki for the UK which gives you an idea of the information I am receiving and the different types of cameras:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/...ic_Light_Enforcement_Cameras_(United_Kingdom)

The Waze Editor who approves the camera can set the speed for the traffic camera, if I am approaching at above this speed, calculated by my phones GPS, Waze tells me there is a camera and gives a caution to slow down. If I'm on or under the limit Waze just tells me I am approaching a traffic camera.

Mobile traffic camera cars are reported differently.

I think that in some mainland European countries it's illegal to even have the option to list speed cameras in your car sat nav regardless of whether you have the option on or not which is why Audi don't include it, I think I read that here so best to check.

Thinking about it as long as you have a bluetooth connection in the car, built in or aftermarket there's no reason why you can't use Waze like this. If you don't have bluetooth then you could still mount the phone. Personally I think the Audi system is very good but Waze is the cherry on the cake for me and best of all free.

Hope this helps?

Edited by: Contrition

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've had the 2013 map updates applied to my "Full-fat" SatNav (Technology pack version) - and large parts of the new(ish) A46 to Lincoln are still missing - Waze is accurately picking up the whole route.
I had a go at the map editor for Waze too - and that even allows you to correct bits that you know are wrong, for the benefit of other users.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's a road near my parents that must have been there for at least 100 years if not more, B road, that just doesn't exist in the Audi sat nav, it happily reports me driving across fields so that doesn't surprise me.

I'm going to have a look at the editor in Waze if I have time over the weekend, looking forward to adding to it if I can.

·
Registered
613 Posts
As a new user, you can make map edits for areas up to a mile around routes you have travelled using Waze - so if you have driven there with Waze on, it should be easy to add...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts