Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

SD Card

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  twoaudis 
#1 ·
Sorry - I need some help ! I want to play some of my music in the car. I assume that I can copy from my laptop (iTunes) onto a SD card ? Will a standard Sandisk 8GB do ?? If not how do I do it ? I don't own an iPod nor do I have music on an iPhone etc

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Bambi,

Standard sd sandisk will be fine. You may have an issue with iTunes though. If you import the music across and it doesn't work, repost, and I'll try and give you detailed instructions on what to do. I haven't used the sd card in the q3 but did in a vw tiguan and a straight copy didn't work, I had to convert iTunes to mp3 format from whatever the Apple standard is.

Hope this helps

#4 ·
Crem0 said:
Just thought if you haven't got an iPod are you using iTunes for the first time and beginning to put you CDs onto it, if so might as well change it to mp3 from the go.
Thanks, Crem0. I have an iPod Shuffle (which isn't much help). I really only have music on CD (copied onto my laptop) apart from a couple of bits downloaded. I just use iTunes for playing music on my laptop (why, I don't remember). Otherwise I play CDs on my Bose. All I want is, if possible, to copy some of my playlists from my laptop onto the SD card. Previously I've just used CDs in the car, but a single CD player is a bit limiting. I don't have a huge amount of music. So I'm a bit technically challenged where music is concerned

#5 ·
Hi Bambi,

If when you copy from iTunes to sd it doesn't work you will have to convert like this thread shows on apple forums

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19753290#19753290

If you have to convert the files already there, you'll end up with two copies of every song, I know this as I have two copies of lots of mine, and iTunes will sync both copies to your shuffle, so you will need to delete the non mp3 version beforing syncing your shuffle.

Hope this helps!

#6 ·
Crem0 said:
Hi Bambi,

If when you copy from iTunes to sd it doesn't work you will have to convert like this thread shows on apple forums

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19753290#19753290

If you have to convert the files already there, you'll end up with two copies of every song, I know this as I have two copies of lots of mine, and iTunes will sync both copies to your shuffle, so you will need to delete the non mp3 version beforing syncing your shuffle.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, Crem0 - I've ordered a new SD card so will see what happens

#7 ·
I'm not technically minded either. At first I tried loading CD files direct from computer to sd card...it didn't work. However after 'asking Jeeves' found I needed 'RIP' software. I downloaded Express Rip for free.

Load CD to computer if not already there, use 'rip' which converts to proper format then copy tracks from computer to a normal sd card. Works a treat.

Know nothing about iTunes though. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Just tried an SD card in my new Q3 - and it worked 1st time! I use a Brennan JB7 (CD HDD) at home, which feeds into my stereo. All I did was take a backup via the Brennan's USB port onto a USB stick then copied that to my PC and Mac. Stuck a 16GB SD card into the MAC and copied all the music across. I don't use iTunes because I don't have an iPod and don't use Mac kit for music. Album & track info appeared also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.