Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
RSQ3 Sportback F3
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

This is Scott from Taiwan and I have just picked up my RSQ3 Sportback at the beginning of February. I am also new to this forum and would like to learn more information about this Q3 series.

Currently car has been driven about 900 miles and most of things from this car is awesome, some advanced electronic equipment I am still learning, my previous car is 2018 MK7.5 Golf R and it is just two years different between them but the difference is big.

About the power from this car, stock 400HP & 480NM is good but after driving it 2 weeks later I have plan on my mind and want to go higher power so I ordered intake, turbo inlet, downpipe, intercooler for stage 2 hardware but some items are backorder and delivery is in May. I will share once all has arrived ;) The most important thing is the gear knob shifter, which I think this is not suitable for such RS car, I then ordered a DSG shift knob from BFI in USA, my previous cars all had their BFI shift knob and it is very high quality & good looking.

The heart :love:

Interior is really nice

Full screen map on virtual cockpit

Stadanrd brake and 21" wheel

Rear brake.... that brake disc??? too small :unsure:

Side view

Front end (love this pic, looks so aggressive)

Haldex unit, looks the same as my previous car mk7.5 golf r

Standard without electronic suspension, which I regret very much not to have optional electronic suspension as I love the function switching COMFORT, NORMAL and RACE. I may swap to KW suspension as standard is stiff and sporty.

The killer of exhaust sound, factory OPF (n) which I will swap to straight pipes when doing downpipe.

The rear box of my factory exhaust system, this is stadnard without sport exhaust but to be honest, I can't tell where is exact difference between sport exhaust and non-sport exhaust, I do know the sound is different (deeper tone?) and exhaust tips are black, but which part of exhaust system is different to make the sound deeper? The one at the middle, exhaust silencer?

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Performance, Glacier White, C&S, Diamond Stitched Leather
115 Posts
Lovely car and welcome to the club :)

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey with the car and it's upgrades!

·
Super Moderator
6,415 Posts
Ditto, welcome to the club! Lovely looking beastie you've got there. :cool:

Reactions: scott25rsq3sb

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Welcome to the club.

I also have an RSQ3 standard, in UK spec the trim is silver.

Yours looks like the UK 'Sport Edition' as they have the Black Pack/Matrix Lights/Pano roof/Sports exhaust/21" wheels as standard

To the exhaust question - I don't know what the difference is either, the back box of the standard system is embossed 'RS' too. The forum sponsors. Crewe Audi, part's department have confirmed that there are two different part numbers for the exhaust Std and Sports - comes all in one bit, front to back.

Changing the exhaust is possible to something like a Miltek or Supersprint is possible but expensive. You could however explore a different avenue and install a Cete Active Valve controller and have both exhaust valves permanently open even in Comfort & Auto Drive Select modes - to my ears the standard exhaust sounds great with the Cete. Link to Cete F3 AVC

Tuning.....
I've attached the EA855 EVO engine Self Study materials - a truly fascinating engine. If you do research on the engine you'll discover that Audi's quoted 395bhp/480Nm is conservative based on poor quality fuel, provide 99 Octane and its more like 420bhp/500Nm in standard form. The engine is amazing, designed with motorsport in mind and thus it's also not like mainstream automotive practice of having an aluminium engine block with steel cylinder liners. The EA855 EVO's bores are aluminium with a special coating to save weight - great but if anything goes wrong then it's new-engine time. If you have an engine issue and Audi see all your fancy induction stuff then you'll have no warranty cover - none at all. Do you want to take that risk?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
RSQ3 Sportback F3
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lovely car and welcome to the club :) Looking forward to hearing more about your journey with the car and it's upgrades!
Ditto, welcome to the club! Lovely looking beastie you've got there. :cool:
Welcome to the club.
Thank you all for your kind words. I will take this thread as a build thread of my RSQ3 and try to update more as soon as I get something new. But, please allow my bad English as this is not my first language.

Driving this car is one of my enjoyments now 🤩

I also have an RSQ3 standard, in UK spec the trim is silver.

Yours looks like the UK 'Sport Edition' as they have the Black Pack/Matrix Lights/Pano roof/Sports exhaust/21" wheels as standard
Your RSQ3 standard looks fantastic!! We do not have that standard spec here in Taiwan just sportback so rear passenger head room is quite limited. I would prefer standard as that is more practical.

The UK "Sport Edition" looks fully loaded, here in Taiwan we have many equipments, which are optional in UK, as standard like Pano roof and Matrix lights. The only things we can select are sport exhaust and electronic suspension, which I did not select. I have 😆

To the exhaust question - I don't know what the difference is either, the back box of the standard system is embossed 'RS' too. The forum sponsors. Crewe Audi, part's department have confirmed that there are two different part numbers for the exhaust Std and Sports - comes all in one bit, front to back.
Thank you so much for your information. I thought it's just different middle silencer. It would be good if there are pictures available. One of my friend's RSQ3 has that sport exhaust option, I will ask him to take some pictures for me when he has chance to lift up the car.

I am not interested in getting sport exhaust but just curious to see the difference. The reason I did not select is because, sport exhaust is a bit louder than standard as far as I know, and since I will do the high flow downpipe (necessary if go stage 2 software) and straight non-OPF pipes in the near future, I think my exhaust sound will become more louder, which I hope it will not be too loud for my habit 🤣

Here is my standard exhaust part number if someone interested to see-

Changing the exhaust is possible to something like a Miltek or Supersprint is possible but expensive. You could however explore a different avenue and install a Cete Active Valve controller and have both exhaust valves permanently open even in Comfort & Auto Drive Select modes - to my ears the standard exhaust sounds great with the Cete. Link to Cete F3 AVC
I went Canadian Unitronic downpipe, which is cheaper than those brands you have mentioned. If I am not wrong, both Miltek and SuperSprint uses very high quality catalytic called HJS from Germany, The benefit of using HJS catalytic is, you could run their downpipe without software and car would have no CEL since HJS catalytic has been approved by E.C.E standard. I did not go that way as I would do software stage 2 for higher output eventually. With stage 2 file, the CEL code for factory exhaust flow will be deleted so no CEL appears.

The AVC looks good to people who does not want to do software or high flow downpipe, you could do similar things that Cete can do with just the software, which means you have access to fully control both exhaust valves via software. But still thank you for your link, I will let my friends know about this, some of them I knew does not want to modify the software so they may need this AVC.

Tuning.....
I've attached the EA855 EVO engine Self Study materials - a truly fascinating engine. If you do research on the engine you'll discover that Audi's quoted 395bhp/480Nm is conservative based on poor quality fuel, provide 99 Octane and its more like 420bhp/500Nm in standard form. The engine is amazing, designed with motorsport in mind and thus it's also not like mainstream automotive practice of having an aluminium engine block with steel cylinder liners. The EA855 EVO's bores are aluminium with a special coating to save weight - great but if anything goes wrong then it's new-engine time. If you have an engine issue and Audi see all your fancy induction stuff then you'll have no warranty cover - none at all. Do you want to take that risk?
I have got the same document EA855 EVO engine Self Study somewhere in this forum also shared by you John. Thank you very much and there is ton of information I have learnt from there.

About the tuning, I think I will take that risk as modding car is kind of my habit. I did the same on every my previous cars, I had built engine A3 sportback with 530WHP and my last car was Golf MK7.5 R with 500WHP but stock engine with bigger turbo, both car modification done within warranty period. I did ton of research before I did modification so I don't spend on wrong modification and spend twice. I also study what most people did on this engine, where is the limitation before engine go bomb. Stage 2 output for our DNWA engine is just a piece of cake unless you go something custom file with extreme boost and timing advance, that would def hurt the engine. I like to keep it safe and I don't race or compare drag slip with anyone. I knew a lot of people running 700HP+ & 600NM+ on stock engine for years without issue so standard stage 2 would be just fine. 😋

·
Premium Member
RSQ3 Sportback F3
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The first modifcation I did right after the delivery of my RSQ3 is, turning OFF the fake engine sound-

Go A9 module

In Adaptation you can find this, and you can modify the percentage of fake engine sound, I changed to 0% to completed turn it OFF.

The second modification is the brake system, I went with Audi 6-pot Ceramic Brake Kit with 380mm Ceramic Discs. I did not select this option when placing car order to our local AUDI dealer, because the price is radically high (about GBP 7,500). A local shop I knew very well offered me less price (about GBP 6,000) for the replacement of Ceramic Brake Kit, addtional the shop helps me to sell my original factory front brake kit at about GBP 1,400, which I would not get such money back if I select that optional Ceramic Brake Kit at the beginning from AUDI 😂 Luckly I have this beautiful Ceramic Brake Kit installed ony my RSQ3 at totally only GBP 4,600.

Beautiful 😍😍😍

The heart of this ceramic brake kit, 380mm Ceramic Discs 🤩

In the process of getting my stock brake removing

To be honest, stock brake is good enough for 400HP power and very smooth & linear. But, I need to get it ready for upcoming higher output (550HP).

The rear brake came with 310 discs, I have ordered 370mm discs and will get them changed next month 😁

Same as front brake, the rear is ventilated disc.

The stock brake kit is out and I weighted both disc and caliper
Disc weight

Caliper weight

I also weighted ceramic brake both disc and caliper
Disc weight, which I am really impressed that the weight is only half of my stock disc.

Caliper weight is a bit heavy 😅

Ceramic Brake Kit done

Side view

·
Premium Member
RSQ3 Sportback F3
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If someonw is interested in VCDS AutoCan, adaptation maps and block maps of my RSQ3, I have shared in the link below ;) :

A friend of mine sent me these pictures and this RSQ3 has optional sport exhaust installed from factory, the part number of rear box is the same as mine without sport exhaust, he did not have chance to take mid box part number but I think that is the differnece.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Interesting Scott - so the resonator in the centre pipe is the difference.

·
Registered
2021 Q3 35TFSI SLine Daytona Grey sound and comfort pack, puddlelights
117 Posts
Looking really nice mate, love the badges never seen them before.
the one picture in the garage I thought you had a serious home brew on the go but I assume it’s your hot water cylinder 😂 It’s just in our country there always lagged so you fooled me.
Is that the lot for your car now?

·
Premium Member
RSQ3 Sportback F3
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the one picture in the garage I thought you had a serious home brew on the go but I assume it’s your hot water cylinder 😂 It’s just in our country there always lagged so you fooled me. Is that the lot for your car now?
HAHAHA... that is my water tower for home and yes that's my parking lot :ROFLMAO:

Amazing :). Thank you for the information even though my Q3 is a 45TFSI.
Cheers mate :D

have some performance parts arrived :love:

Unitronic intercooler

Eventuri turbo inlet

Shift gear swapped :cool:

Took some pictures after cleaning. Really like the car with maxton design front and rear which made car even more completed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
WoW it looks absolutely amazing !! Pumped up ! 💪🏻
The shift gear is also something I’d like to change, it is the only piece I find doesn’t go with the overall design on my Q3.

·
Premium Member
RSQ3 Sportback F3
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WoW it looks absolutely amazing !! Pumped up ! 💪🏻
The shift gear is also something I’d like to change, it is the only piece I find doesn’t go with the overall design on my Q3.
Thanks mate 😘 yeah that shift gear is the only thing I really want to change since first day 😂 I bought it from here (Audi Auto/S-Tronic Shift Knobs)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Really nice looking. After owning most of the RS and S range of cars I also really dislike the look of the standard shifter knob so thanks for posting some pics as its definitely something I wanna change.

Interested that there is a lot of people who have the standard exhaust system, I personally would never consider a RS product with the standard exhaust, the looks the sound are the two things for me that really differentiate the car from the standard models so has always been an auto include for me. Everyone is different.

Do you find there is a significant 'lag' in responsiveness off the line? I have just installed a PedalBox which has made a massive difference, gonna do a remap next month as the gain in torque is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
RSQ3 Sportback F3
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really nice looking. After owning most of the RS and S range of cars I also really dislike the look of the standard shifter knob so thanks for posting some pics as its definitely something I wanna change.
Glad my information helps people :D

Interested that there is a lot of people who have the standard exhaust system, I personally would never consider a RS product with the standard exhaust, the looks the sound are the two things for me that really differentiate the car from the standard models so has always been an auto include for me. Everyone is different.
I didn't want to have RS sport exhaust option because I will modify the exhuast in the end of the day, there are some aftermarket options available like Milltek (
) and Akrapovic (modified from AUDI RS3 factory Akrapovic exhaust by APR Germany), I prefer not spending money on something I will change in the future so I don't spend twice. Same to the suspension, I don't have optional eletronic suspension because I will do KW V3 ;)

Do you find there is a significant 'lag' in responsiveness off the line? I have just installed a PedalBox which has made a massive difference, gonna do a remap next month as the gain in torque is pretty good.
To be honest, I don't find the lag you experienced. Instead of lag, I am quite surprised that throttle response is similar to my previos car GOLF MK7.5 R, which is good enough considering RSQ3 is longer exhaust manifold but MK7.5R is much shorter. BUT, I think everyone is different, maybe some are OK with the lag, some doesn't.

I am thinking if there is a difference on throttle response coding, I keep hearing people doing improvement on throttle response by modifying coding using VCDS but I did not try so I cannot say how it improves.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That Milltek exhaust does sound rather nice with the valves open... Anyone know what the cost of something like this would be and how would this affect MOT in the UK. Would it still pass....?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts