Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning the car I noticed that one of the rear brake discs has become heavily scored across the whole face Never had this before on a car that has only 1500 miles on the clock . I suppose this is due to a defective brake pad , main dealer here I come
20200728_165652_resized.jpg

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Have you recently washed the car? The rear discs don't get so much pad pressure so when the disc faces go rusty (happens within a few minutes of getting wet) it takes a run to clean them back up again.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WASH IT ! Her indoors makes me do it every Sunday rain or shine. Yes I get a light dust of surface rust on all the rotors after being left for a day or so but a touch of the brakes rubs that off. What I have here is grooving across the rotor face that I can feel with my thumbnail. I do not drive on the brakes either , most road conditions I drive coast to a stop only use the brakes for final stop. Also this is the rear brakes which are normally only there for the ride.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Could be a sticking brake caliper
Quick test - jack up car and check if wheel turns freely with parking brake off. Compare 'resistance' with other side

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had the same problem on my Q3, believe me, that's not a heavily scored disc :ROFLMAO:, mine have three deep lines across all the disc... But I'm just waiting till I retrofit the whole rear set of brakes from a 2015 model, bigger stock discs and direct fit

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Hi kostas
Tell us more about your rear brake conversion - maybe start a new thread on big brakes.
I've been looking at 345mm front discs and calipers from the S3 / Cupra / Golf R which I could add

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi kostas
Tell us more about your rear brake conversion - maybe start a new thread on big brakes.
I've been looking at 345mm front discs and calipers from the S3 / Cupra / Golf R which I could add

Cheers Spike
Hello Spike, I have already opened a thread here one year ago ;). When I install them and check they fit with no modifications, I will update it

·
Registered
425 Posts
I might be wrong but that to me doesn't look like grooves but rather patches (bubbles?) of non-contact areas (thus oxidized on the disc) caused by the brake pads. Could be defective compound of the pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts