Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit disappointed by the volume of the Q3's luggage space. When having a spare or Bose System under the boot floor, the space to use is about 356 Litre in volume. That's about 100 Litres less then when you are able to use the space under the boot floor to. But there will not fit any suitcase

Compared to my A4 (450 Litre) it's a lot less

I would appreciate it if you tell me:

1. are you satisfied with the luggage space?
2. when travelling with your partner or family, fits everything in de boot?
3. if not, what do you with what doesn't fit in the boot?
4. did you buy other luggage to fill the boot optimal?
5. anything that contributes to this topic.

Edited by: audidriver4ever

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
I ordered my Q3 before the spare wheel was fitted as standard and one of the selling points was it's massive boot. There is significantly more space available than my previous Jaguar estate car and it is a more usable shape, too.

If you choose to have a spare wheel it makes a significant difference - I chose to have the extra space (I need it for work) and will just have to ensure (as I always do anyway) that I always have roadside recovery in place.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have to say moving from an A4 Cabriolet to the Q3 I was a little doubtful about the boot space as I think the A4 was also about 365 litres so we decided not to have a spare wheel (plus you had to pay for it) and now with the larger boot I am happy with it.
I think you will have to ask yourself how often do you think you will need the spare tyre as you will get the glue and the tire inflation is handy to use just to pump up the tires. Also a lot of times the wheel nuts are on so tight, you might not be able to undo them especially by the side of a motorway so you may end up calling out a breakdown service to help change the tire.
So if you have breakdown cover anyway they could always tow you to a garage so why risk changing a tire yourself.
As for the Audio, i am happy with the standard one. it gives out a lot of space and is loud enough

·
Registered
613 Posts
The boot isn't fantastic, but I did manage to fit 3 x decent size suitcases in it (on their side) for my recent holiday - which I was surprised at - shame that I actually had 4 x suitcases plus hand-baggage to carry though!

I don't have a Spare wheel, but do have the Technology pack - so the area below the bumper height is padded by a large shaped polystyrene filler containing lots of hidey-holes and the air pump - but it's quite simple to remove to make extra room for boot sales/rubbish-tip journeys.

I do find myself having to drop the rear seats more than I would normally do for a car this sized

·
Registered
44 Posts
Even I have spare wheel, me and my wife (no children yet) are happy with the boot space when travelling out of the city for couple of days. But I think, this topic is completely subjective and it depends on personal needs

·
Registered
63 Posts
This was one of my concerns but as I'm away in Wales on a break, I can say it's fine for two adults and their luggage! For a family of four I'd say you'd struggle with a boot that has the spare if you want to fit three/four largish cases plus other stuff like a pushchair.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I opted for a spare tyre as the inflation kits in my experience do not work and ruin the tyre once used. Clearly Audi also feel this I assume from customer feed back as is now standard. If you want more storage space just drop the rear seat. For most customers a puncture is more likely than a completely full boot and four passengers on board.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have the spare wheel and therefore have the reduced bot size. there are only 2 of us so if we need extra space, we can fold down the rear seats, but this is usually only when transporting something "big", rather than suitcases.Like others we can get 3 cases in the boot, plus some soft holdalls.Of course, the Q3 is a small car. If boot size was an issue, we would have bought a larger car. Not too sure if I understand this thread correctly, as the boot size is there for everyone to see pre-purchase! If people ordered what they thought was a my13 car without the spare wheel, and received a my14 car with a spare as standard and with a smaller boot, then that is grounds for rejecting the car (ie it wasn't what was ordered).As an observation, yes, the boot is smaller than we would have liked, but it is what it is!

·
Registered
518 Posts
audidriver, to answer your specific points1 No, not satisfied, but it's what I chose to buy!2 With 2 on board, w need 2 cases, plus small holdalls, which all fit comfortably in the boot. If there were 4 of us (ie if we still had 2 young children), we would probably have 3 cases, plus holdalls, and organise things so that they fitted in the boot.3 If our baggage didn't fit in the boot, we would store the excess between the 2 rear seat passengers. If necessary, I would remove the rear parcel shelf to get a bit of extra height in the boot, though of course this might impact on rear vision! Alternatively, if my 2 children were still quite small (say up to 10 years old), I would make use of the split rear seat, and fold down the smaller section to create extra space4. No, we didn't buy special luggage, but usually something soft sided can be "moulded" to fit.5 Please see my previous post (sorry, was a bit abrupt!!!), but the car is a small car, similar boot sizeto an A3 or a Golf(I think!). Re the spare wheel, I fall into the camp of believing it to be essential to have a spare, and thereby accept the trade off with boot space. But equally I recognise that opinions are polarised on this. I don't much like the idea of roof storage, other than for obvious one offs like bicycles.

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
Just to add to Rontheman's post, we have both an A3 and a Q3. The Q3 (no spare wheel here, remember) has bordering on double the usable boot space of the A3 and is very large for the size and type of vehicle - I believe it has more space than a BMW X1 and even a Q5 according to various reviews.

As Terpati said, it is an intensely personal thing and - like all other features of the Q3 - must be subject to a trade-off when choosing this as opposed to any other car. The Q3 has a large boot FOR THIS TYPE OF VEHICLE - that's about all that can be said about it, really. Much larger 4x4s and crossovers have significantly less boot space but no doubt there are many other cars with bigger boots than the Q3.

And now it's beer o'clock and I think I need a drink.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If space is important, together with off road capability, then go for something like an A4 Avant Allroad.I considered it, but then decided we dint really want that large a car, and would somehow find a solution if ever we needed more boot space.Interestingly, I took our Q3 over to France during the summer. 2 people on board (our son and I), plus one bicycle inside, plus 3 cases, plus 12 boxes of champagne (each with 6 bottles) on the return journey (son was getting married soon after), plus assorted holdalls etc. All fitted comfortably with rear seats down. However, one thing I found out by trial and error, which was how important it was to plan out how to load everything in, especially with something as awkward as a full size bicycle to store inside. In a normal situation (ie absent a bicycle) one might need 2 or 3 tries to get the best space usage.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When planning to get a Q3 I checked if my wheelchair fitted.

But between May and September Audi fitted the spare wheel on my 2014 as standard.

On hear this news I went back to the dealer to check my wheelchair fitted, the dealer would not allow me to test it.

On collection day I found my wheelchair just fitted had it not I would not signed the paper work.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is one area where the Q3 falls short of the Tiguan. On the Tiguan the rear seats slide forward (I think this is now standard on the Q5) and can create that extra space you need, unless of course you have large adults in the back.

As there are only 2 of us this is not a problem, but I think Audi should copy VW and create rear sliding seats in the Q3

·
Registered
302 Posts
We've had Volvo estates and currently a Passat estate which have all been very useful when we had children and done the camping holidays in France or the horrendous uni runs
That part of our life finished some years ago and so we wanted a smaller car and got the Q3. Plenty of room in the boot for our suitcases etc and fold the seats down to carry anything else. However, we've kept the Passat so we can still lug sacks of cement and all the other DIY bits, plus do the trips to the tip, carry muddy dogs etc etc. Will we ever sell the Passat and just manage with the Q3 - time will tell !!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Bambi, we're much the same as you. We still have our A4 avant for lugging things around, for Mrs rtm to get things from the garden centre etc. But we're thinking of selling the A4 for something smaller, like a VW up.If we get that, can we borrow your Passat?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry to be flippant, but did some of you not look at what you were spending 30k on.

Boot size is subjective, which is why you make you own personal choice before you purchase the car. If you want a car to hold 4 cases and a pushchair, then the q3 is not sufficient, I am more surprised that rear tables and cup holders are not standard, but I saw this and accepted it before purchased the q3.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I've not found the Q3 storage space to be a problem, i took my old kitchen to the tip using it and my old bathroom. Fold down the seats, dump that shelf and you have a decent load carrying vehicle. I have the folding front passenger seat which has helped me out on several occasions. Also got the spare wheel option but i don't have the kids or large dog option which is costly

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
Bambi said:
We've had Volvo estates...
I didn't know you were an antique dealer, Bambi!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gromit said:
Bambi said:
We've had Volvo estates...
I didn't know you were an antique dealer, Bambi!
LOL :) One of them had done 300,000 miles by the time we got rid of it - it was still running pretty well, but the engine was getting knackered

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a Q3 on order with the spare wheel/tyre option. Has anyone with this option gained additional boot space by temporarily removing the spare wheel. I had the dealer demonstrate that it's possible to remove the wheel and the 'box' that it sits in, but the 'box' also contained the sub woofer for the stereo. This had to be disconnected as part of the removal procedure. The Q3 was therefore left withoutan electrical load on the sub woofer connection. I would be wary of operating the radio with a speaker disconnected.So, it appears that additional space can be made available, but does the removal of the sub woofer present a problem?Anyone with experience of this??ThanksGeoff

1 - 20 of 37 Posts