Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Audi RSQ3 Sportback Vorsprung 2021 Mythos Black
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, could do with a bit of advice please, not Q3 related though…..
The other half has a A3 17 plate (pop up screen on dash), we purchased it 2nd hand last year, no sat nav in it but after contacting Audi, they said it came with sat nav as a new build, looks like someone has removed the SD card they said. To get it up and running it requires best part of £300 for 2021 maps.
Can it be done differently and cheaper?
Any advice would be appreciated, no rush…
Thanks
Chris

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
@Chris248 I had the SD based satnav when I had the S3, don’t waste your money on getting it back. It is one of the worst I’ve ever used, even worse the. The hopeless one in the current Q3.
As per the suggestion, look at the free options on smartphones or spend £100 or so on a stand alone unit from TomTom, Garmin or whoever. It will be far better

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
In case my MMI one was rubbish, I bought a cd slot holder for my phone as Google Maps works fine. So far not needed but the Audi one’s search is a bit limited and can be very last second on directions.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
@Chris248 I had the SD based satnav when I had the S3, don’t waste your money on getting it back. It is one of the worst I’ve ever used, even worse the. The hopeless one in the current Q3.
What's the issue with the F3 Q3's Satnav?

I really like mine, accepting the reality that as a right-handed human operating the system with my left digits is a challenge using the Voice Command 'Drive to' is brilliant - the system uses its internet connection and fuzzy-logic to figure out where the destination actually is with uncanny accuracy.

As an example I wanted to drive to Ian Coley's shooting ground which is southwest of Cheltenham, it's notoriously hard to find - the Postcode dumps you in the wrong place - tricky and as the sport is a tad noisy the grounds are usually in remote areas/deep in the countryside.

So the Q3 got the instruction "Drive to Ian Coley's Shooting Ground Cheltenham" the system searched and came back with the trading name of the business from the web site "Ian Coley Gunshop, Shooting School, Sporting Agency & Country Clothing, Andoversford" which is a pretty large extrapolation of the original instruction and bang-on (no pun intended) correct.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
102 Posts
What's the issue with the F3 Q3's Satnav?

I really like mine, accepting the reality that as a right-handed human operating the system with my left digits is a challenge using the Voice Command 'Drive to' is brilliant - the system uses its internet connection and fuzzy-logic to figure out where the destination actually is with uncanny
My current, and last, Q3 is a 67 plate and seems to chose the route by throwing a plate of spaghetti at a map for 30 yards. Have had it try to take me off the motorway, around a town ring road and back on at the same junction. The traffic data is only available for A roads with 2 digits, I.e. A14, or less and assumes any with more are clear. It also frequently tries to take me the wrong way down 1 way streets , even though the 1 way is clear on the map. Also tried to take me through a bus only route in Nottingham, despite again being on the map. And don’t even get me started on it’s reliability in Birmingham!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Inbuilt OEM Navs are always one step behind the offerings of Google maps/Waze. Waze in particular has a huge subscriber base now which allows immediate reporting of incidents, pesky police hiding behind bushes and such.
Single cd slot phone holder with your trusty smartphone, job done. Don't waste you money on paying Audi 300quid for a map update that will be obselete again in no time... Mine still has 2014 maps...

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
My current, and last, Q3 is a 67 plate and seems to chose the route by throwing a plate of spaghetti at a map for 30 yards. Have had it try to take me off the motorway, around a town ring road and back on at the same junction. The traffic data is only available for A roads with 2 digits, I.e. A14, or less and assumes any with more are clear. It also frequently tries to take me the wrong way down 1 way streets , even though the 1 way is clear on the map. Also tried to take me through a bus only route in Nottingham, despite again being on the map. And don’t even get me started on it’s reliability in Birmingham!
67 plate - sounds like the end of the 8U Q3 - most likely with SD card version of Nav? My wife has it in her A1 - and it's very poor, outdated by better technology.

·
Registered
102 Posts
67 plate - sounds like the end of the 8U Q3 - most likely with SD card version of Nav? My wife has it in her A1 - and it's very poor, outdated by better technology.
Yes end of the BU, but is the HDD version with Audi Connect, not the SD version. Had the SD in the 64 plate S3, and not much between them

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
The HDD one is usually OK, probably did 75k miles over two RSQ3'. both had software updates with latest map data though. A clever bit of kit developed by Harman Becker (now part of Samsung), has two Nvidia Tegra processors - one does the map rendering and the other displays the car systems. The HDD one is fast enough to keep up with complex junction navigation whereas its inferior cousin really isn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts