Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i since picking up my car almost 3 months ago i have spent countless hours searching the internet and scouring my local area in the quest for cheaper SD sat nav fitting, but to no avail. It would seem Audi have us by the danglies when it comes to having it enabled. Spoken to several independent Audi dealers and the answers i got ranged from blank expressions to oooh! no we can`t do that. So i surrender myself to the fact that if i want it doing i will have to visit a main dealer and fork out £495.00.
Unless anyone else has a better plan.......

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Ollie, I too saw the cards on eBay before ordering and thought £500 when they go for £30-£80, no way. Unfortunately it does appear that Audi have us on this, but just be aware it doesn't cost more than £500, as I have read that £200 is the sd card £300 is the registration, and they charge labour too!! Not sure how true but worth asking the dealer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the info, i have had several heated discussions at the dealers where i bought my car from and it appears that they are quite adamant about this. I contacted Audi in Germany to clarify the situation and they washed their hands of it really and said it was down to the dealer as to the price which i found quite shocking.
I did manage to locate a genuine German Audi dealer who would sell me the SD card with maps for a very reasonable 52 euros, however the Dealer still wants £495 to install / activate which is disgraceful really. I think the message they are trying to convey is pay up or P**s off basically.
Shame on you Audi

·
Registered
302 Posts
Personally I don't have a problem with it. It's their system - if you want it you have to pay their price, same as anything else. You don't have to have it. We were shocked at the price when ordering our car. We had an old Tom Tom which needed replacing, so we had the choice of doing that or going with the Audi Sat Nav. After much deliberating and reviewing the options which we were choosing, we decided to have the Sat Nav at £495. If you don't like the price - don't have it
Hence why we didn't go with the Tech pack etc etc

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I`m not disputing the fact that it is my choice Bambi, but the price and the fact that they seem to hold a monopoly on the thing is what i personally think is disgraceful. £300 for an SD card and a few keyboard presses inc 20 mins of a mechanics time seems reasonable to me and not £500.
Rant over and just MY opinion.

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
It is what it is, I'm afraid. Just precisely WHY it is what it is is one of life's unanswerable questions, such as...

Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?

How does the Teflon stick to the pan?

Why isn't "phonetic" spelt the way it sounds?

When administering a lethal injection (death penalty in certain American states), why do they sterilise the needle?

Reactions: David Ousey

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ha ha Gromit!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
We had the sat nav fitted when we bought our Q3 from the showroom and personally I though it was good value when you consider that most manufacturers charge £1500 plus for built in nav which can only be factory ordered or a hugely expensive retrofit (if possible at all).
As has been stated, Audi give you the choice but at least if you don't want it and then change your mind you can have the fully integrated system for under £500 - a relative bargain especially when balanced against the overall price of the vehicle.

Reactions: David Ousey

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was a bit poo poo about having Sat Nav at first, but as it came with my stock car, I gave it a go. I must admit, I now wouln't hesitate to have it, and in fact have it in my Q5 as well. Having just travelled to the south of France, 'Jane' knew every nook and cranny, every little dirt road that ran through every vineyard, (although her pronounciation sometimes was hysterical!). I didn;t have to load European maps, and it's quite cool to see where you are. She gets me out of trouble too as I just ask her to take me home!
OK, she doesn't actually know my own house, which has been built for 12 years, but it's a small niggle really.
I sold my Garmin for £180, so I figured Jane is a bargain at £320 net!

·
Registered
234 Posts
For more than 10 years we've had a TomTom W Europe and been fairly happy with it. When it came to choosing the Q3 spec we dithered then decided to get a new "Lifetime Update" TomTom from Amazon for £143, saving £300 over the Audi satnav price ..... and we have 3 cars so can still swap it around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We got the Tech pack with our car (someone elses cancelled order) I am really glad I didn't order it or pay full price for it as I think I would have been disappointed for the money. I did have the Nav in my A3 but that was retro fitted for about £500 and that was all it was worth, I do have the same feeling here, the tech pack is maybe worth £500 and the SD Nav maybe half that.
At the end of the day Audi make way more for options than they do out of a car, for instance not so many years ago Ford reckoned they lost money on a basic fiesta made a bit on mid range and a bucket load on top spec and options. I suspect Audi are the same.

·
Registered
613 Posts
In-car Sat Nav is always a "too expensive" option - in these days when a TomTom costs approx £100, the built-in system (SD or Tech Pack) is still priced wrongly in my opinion.
My car is a Company vehicle, so I needed the Sat Nav for travelling - but it doesn't offer that much extra functionality over a TomTom (other Sat Nav's are available!!) - and if you don't like the price of the SD Sat Nav, content yourself with the Knowledge that the installation of the 2013 map updates to my Tech Pack (aka "full-fat") Sat Nav - supplied on 1 x DVD, cost £240...

·
Registered
45 Posts
.........and you are paying BIK tax each year for that expensive option!

·
Registered
613 Posts
...yes, I have that honour

1 - 14 of 14 Posts