Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pick up my Q3 this Saturday all being well. It has 'sat nav prep' fitted. Asking about this I was informed that the facility is fitted, but it isn't enabled - but the garage can enable it for some rediculous fee (£500 plus VAT or some such).The dealer was less than impressed when I suggested that he had just removed the SD card from the last owner, and was now attempting to sell it back to me at full value. He even kept a straight face as he flatly denied that.
Am I just being cynical or is this standard Audi procedure?

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
If the previous owner had it enabled it should still be with the car and you should not be charged for it as far as I'm aware, in the same way that any other option fitted would not be sold again to the next owner.

All Q3s have sat/nav prep as standard, so I would assume from this that the previous owner did not require it. £500 is the standard charge for enabling it i.e. supplying the SD card and activating it for that VEHICLE (not that owner).

If you think the dealer is taking the p*ss, get the VIN or registration number and phone Audi - they can check it out.

Edited by: Gromit

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wouldn't have thought they would dare try it on, all you would have to do is phone the previous owner, then they would have to explain thereselves.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There must be a cheaper way somewhere somehow ..

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think the sd card card is about £300 and to activate if is £200.

Seems bad if they took it out if the person who traded it had it.

Does this mean those who paid extra for a spare wheel will have them taken out at trading and then sold as an extra on the 2nd hand car?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gromit, I didn't realise all Q3's had the prep as standard. Perhaps he wasn't trying it on after all. My prior experience with salesmen puts me on the defensive straight away lol. Oh well, at least I enjoyed giving him a hard time
.Can't wait until Saturday to pick it up!Thanks guys for all the posts guys!

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
Samoanjoe said:
...My prior experience with salesmen puts me on the defensive straight away lol.

What?? Surely not - they are such a shy and sensitive breed, straight as a die and honest as the day is long.

(runs like ****, giggling)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I guess if you buy the sat nav card and get it activated the card is yours so you could take it to a new car and then just need to activate it to that car

·
Registered
85 Posts
Da,It can only be registered to one car, you can't take it to another car. Thank you Audi :-/.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I Audi's defence, or maybe just playing Devil's Advocate....

If you have the SD-based Sat Nav system, and a 2-year old SD card, would you really want to take it to your next car (assuming you bought another Q3) ?

In-car Sat Navs always seem to be stupidly expensive - and Audi's SD option is actually quite a cheap way to have a built-in system.... That said, I am more and more converting to using the "Waze" app on my iPhone - which is more up to date, and free to use...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I spoke to the guy who fits our electrics in our van, he can activate the sat nav, but it will cause problems as Audi register the activated vehicles, and it could nullify any warranty claims if not done by a main stealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts