Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't really make my mind up about the sat nav. I have always used a
separate TomTom unit in my current A3 and I am quite happy with it. But
with the additional pop up screen in the Q3, it will seem a bit odd to have two separate displays - one for the car and one for the
TomTom. Plus - I'll have to find somewhere for it to go as the Q3's pop
up display sits in one of the most logical places for the TomTom to go.

For about £500 for the SD version it seems to make more sense, aesthetically speaking anyway, to go for the option of built in.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well its not the end of the world if can't make your mind up because as I understand you can just pop down to your local dealer and buy the SD card and pop it into the car and off you go.

You never know (not that I'd encourage it of course) it may be possible to copy cards and save a bit of money..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's anything like the A1 (so far as I have read) it's not that simple, as the car has to be re-coded by the dealer and the code applied to the SD card so they are both locked together.

Mind you, as far as I can read off the German Audi website, the A1 SD Based System seems to do everything I need it to anyway. Strange that even the German site does not yet list the capabilities of the Q3 nav System in it's dedicated navigation pages.

I guess it's just too new right now.

Edited by: ESL

·
Registered
44 Posts
ESL said:
If it's anything like the A1 (so far as I have read) it's not that simple, as the car has to be re-coded by the dealer and the code applied to the SD card so they are both locked together.

Mind you, as far as I can read off the German Audi website, the A1 SD Based System seems to do everything I need it to anyway. Strange that even the German site does not yet list the capabilities of the Q3 nav System in it's dedicated navigation pages.

I guess it's just too new right now.

Ah ok so they recode the car to basically activate the GPS hardware as such and tell it 'you now have Sat Nav?

Thats not quite as simple as just placing an SD card in the slot which was the impression I got. Surely hooking the car up to recode will result in a labour charge so the actual cost will be more closer to £600...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm only going on 3rd party info from A1 discussions I have browsed, so this may not be exactly the same on the Q3.
It seems you can buy the SD card separately for a hundred or so as an after sales purchase, but then you need the recode as well (or whatever). By the time they add labour charges and VAT gets lumped in, it ends up at around the brochure price.
I am led to believe that as far as actual "gubbins" goes, nothing needs to be added to the Q3 - all the wiring and processing necessary is there already. Its just that the actual software and the codes to allow processing it are not present.
Of course when the HDD MMI system is added, it's a whole new ballgame as the hardware is either not present (the hard-drive system) and I think even the display unit is upgraded to a higher definition and slightly larger display. Which is why it is so much more expensive.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I didn't order the sat nav with my car because the brochure gives the impression that this can be added at a later date by purchasing the SD card, now after talking to my dealer it seems that the card is £495 plus you will also need to purchase a licence and get it activated, I wasn't told the costs involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to help I have ordered the SD Sat Nav for the Q3 I have already picked up. The cost of £495 includeds the fitted and re-code. However the SD card is not yet ready and wont be until mid December as they are waiting for the 2012 maps....

·
Registered
563 Posts
Richb said:
Just to help I have ordered the SD Sat Nav for the Q3 I have already picked up. The cost of £495 includeds the fitted and re-code. However the SD card is not yet ready and wont be until mid December as they are waiting for the 2012 maps....
Thanks for that, I will have a word with my salesman.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Richb said:
Hi Rich
Any chance you could tell which dealer you are using, mine is still saying £510 for the card plus licence and activation fee's

·
Registered
563 Posts
Finally got a proper answer from Audi UK, the cost of the SD card is £498 this includes all licence and activation fees, seems the system was listing these as seperate items and that is where the confusion was.
The card will need to be activated by the dealer and it is down to them how much they do or don't charge.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Went to the dealer yesterday to get the SD card Navigation and Activation, guess what the dealer couldn't activate it, so I have the card sitting in the SD slot but no Sat Nav and another trip to the dealer in the week to sort it out

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sat Nav is now activated, for anybody interested this cost me £491.69 inclusive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I cannot get any joy from my retailer about swapping the SD card in my current car into the new one I am about to purchase, they say it cannot be done and that I have to spend another £500 on the new car.GB

·
Registered
563 Posts
GeeBe said:
I cannot get any joy from my retailer about swapping the SD card in my current car into the new one I am about to purchase, they say it cannot be done and that I have to spend another £500 on the new car.GB
I'm afraid this is true, you will find it in the licensing part of the documents that should be in one of the DVD cases that the Sat Nav SD cardcame in, it's a crazy situation, basically once the card has been activated it becomes the property of that car

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've just ordered the Q3 with the option of the SD Sat Nav. Does this include for the card itself?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks for the spam audilady
, if you know your stuff then you'll know that Q3 updates will only work via SD card

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi sorry del idont no anything, i had a Q5 and just changed to a Q3 .and used themfor my Q5, so if its sd card only cancel last message lol xx

·
Registered
613 Posts
Scrolling through the Sat Nav menus today, I activated the 3D maps function - which made me wonder... What towns/cities have any 3D items in them?
I guess London (Big Ben, Parliament etc) and Paris (Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe) - anyone know of any others?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts