Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week the (SD version) sat. nav. has twice "lost the plot" - telling us we were going cross-country rather than on the main road we were actually using. Not a minor glitch this, as it didn't recover during the remainder of the journey and continued to tell us our course was several miles off our actual route. The problem occurred on the same route and within a few miles of the same location in each case.

Looking at the Route > Nav Info page while the fault was occurring shows zero satellites available, even though this was on main roads in open country. So maybe a GPS receiver failure, but coincidental that it happened near the same spot each time?

Am about to tackle the service support at the dealer about this, so would appreciate your thoughts and anyone else's experience of similar sat. nav. issues before I wade in.
TIA

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had similar problems with my old Tom Tom. Shows the road I am actually on but showed me as driving across the adjacent field. It wasn't a new road.
Not had any issues with the Q3 nav.
Perhaps some type of local interference? Radio or radar transmitters?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
argic said:
It's not a new road is it? Not on the ordinance maps yet
Good point - but no, it's on roads that have been there for decades and we have travelled on that route many times without problems with this and other sat. navs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had this the other day when it was very cloudy - I just put it down to the Sat Nav system not being able to lock onto the satellites sufficiently.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Me too, but not in an Audi. This has happened a couple of times - again in the same area - in my old Jaguar. I think it's a combination of weather conditions and possible local interference. I doubt that it's an Audi problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the thoughts about this. I think I'll let the dealership know about it just in case ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had this problem in a Honda CRV. Ended up being a whole new nav system being installed. The technology isn't infallible and may be faulty. Let your dealer sort it out under warranty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I phoned the dealer a week ago last Friday and told them of this problem. The guy said he needed to speak to the person who knew about such things and would get back to me after the weekend. Well, that's now a week ago so I'm not impressed with "Audi service" at this point.

The sat nav is still dropping out - sometimes for complete journeys - so we tried taking along a Garmin jobbie just in case some serious navigation was needed. The curious thing is that when the Q3 sat nav died, so did the Garmin. In fact, with the Q3 stationary while in fault mode and using the Garmin in hand-held mode, the latter lost all satellites when held within a few metres of the Q3. So it looks as if something on the Q3 is acting intermittently as a GPS jammer.

Wish me luck guys. I think I may need it to get this problem fixed without spending many hours hanging around Audi service departments.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had 3 occasions when the Sat Nav has gone nuts - twice roughly 2 hours into a journey it seemed to forget where we were and where we were going, third time I set it up in a multi-storey car park and it just couldn't get a fix until about an hour later.
Recently took card out and re-initialised the unit and it seems to be okay now fingers crossed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts