Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Sad story. I had to take back my Q3 to the dealer to have the S-tronic tramsmission repaired. I was driving home from work, with load music when suddenly I noticed the high engine rev. I then saw that I was in D2 and I could not change it. I had to stop on the road shoulder and then stopped the engine and re-started. After about a few hundred meters, gear shifted to D2 again. I decided to drive straight to dealer with the gear in D2. Good thing the dealer was approximately 15 kilometers from where I work. I had to stop several times to make the transmission work again but the same thing happened, after a few hundred meters, the gear shifted down to D2. I made sure I was in D2 when I reached Audi so I could show the mechanic.
I was told that my car will be fixed by Tuesday next week. I also noticed that the yellow emission control system icon lit after after I experienced the transmission problem. I was told that this error message was related to the exhaust, not sure though how is this related to the transmission issue.
I gave a call to the sales rep who sold me the car. I angrily told him about my frustration with this car. I had 2 other issues, front-end vibration and non-leveled steering wheel. I also told the sales rep of other quality issues I found: the plastic door handle was poorly installed, there were parts that feel sharp, slightly protruding fuel tank flap and uneven gaps on rear bumper.
I am seriously contemplating in selling my Q3 and buy a Japanese car, a Lexus may be a better replacement.
pekX2to

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi, how frustrating and disappointing, not what you expect when you buy into what is meant to be a premium brand. I hope it gets sorted quickly and that whatever decision you make you end up with a car you enjoy.

·
Registered
563 Posts
HiA common problem with the S-Tronic gearbox is the Mechatronics unit, if you google it you find it has been replaced in lots of Audi's and VAG group cars, hopefully this won't be the problem with your car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Del said:
HiA common problem with the S-Tronic gearbox is the Mechatronics unit, if you google it you find it has been replaced in lots of Audi's and VAG group cars, hopefully this won't be the problem with your car. 
Del,

Thank hou very much for the info. I remember told me that there may be a problem with the solenoid. Looks like he needs to replace the mechatronic unit. Not a simple repair according to the video I saw in outube.

The only consolation I got is that I got a 2012 TT as loan car. I guess mechanic can take his time in repairing my Q3.

pekX2to

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Del,

You are right, there seems to be a lot of DSG issues posted in youtube. I am now more concerned about reliability of Q3 itself.

pekX2to

·
Registered
34 Posts
A recent problem has occurred with my transmission. Driving along in drive my elbow hit the shift stick and went into neutral. Is this so or do you think i should get it back to the dealership?

·
Super Moderator
1,708 Posts
pekX2to said:
Del,

You are right, there seems to be a lot of DSG issues posted in youtube. I am now more concerned about reliability of Q3 itself.

pekX2to
The many? DSG (s-tronic) Problems as you mention, do not exist in the German and Austrian Audi Forums. When, then they are rare and mostly in combination with older and other Modells.Edited by: audidriver4ever

·
Registered
563 Posts
audidriver4ever said:
pekX2to said:
Del,

pekX2to
The many? DSG (s-tronic) Problems as you mention, do not exist in the German and Austrian Audi Forums. When, then they are rare and mostly in combination with older and other Modells.
HiA few examples for you...http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=193884http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/2120-gearbox-malfunction/page__fromsearch__1http://www.a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3626

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Del,

Got my car back with a new mechatronic assembly. Car is ok now, as for the other quality issues like slightly protruding fuel flap and uneven gap for the bumper and wheel arch, the mechanic tried to fix, looks better now but still noticeable. i will return the car until Audi fix it to my satisfaction.

pekX2to

·
Super Moderator
1,708 Posts
pekX2to said:
Del,

Got my car back with a new mechatronic assembly. Car is ok now, as for the other quality issues like slightly protruding fuel flap and uneven gap for the bumper and wheel arch, the mechanic tried to fix, looks better now but still noticeable. i will return the car until Audi fix it to my satisfaction.

pekX2to
You are right doing it now instead of later after the Warranty-Period is over

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually paid extra for additional 2 yrs of warranty. I now have a total of 5 yrs. I really like the car except for the quality issues. I guess it is part of buying a first generation car.

One advantage of bringing my car to the dealer for repair is that I get a free car wash every time.
i am also taking the opportunity to add the white halogen fog lamps and also replace the glove box and luggage compartment lights to LED. The Audi mechanic said he will do it for me, not sure how much is the labor cost though.

pekX2to

·
Registered
50 Posts
HI. This seems a common fault, i have the sdqame issue. My car got stuck in 5th gear, has hill discent problems and jumps back gears causing huge revs.

The worst thing is they do not want to fix it.

I have spoken to a family member in South Africa.Even South Africa knows it is a major problem, how come we are up against such a wall with dealers?

Keep your spirit high, you may need it if you have to fight them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The car has several funny faults all related. It can change gear at unusual intervels ie, on steep inclines, hold gears to long, early change causing lack of power, hills cause problems going down as it will not always hold its gear,(the same hill can react different every time)and lastly it can get stuck in a single gear for several miles regardless of imput from the driver.This is all a treible share because the car was regarded by me as great, but Audi have done no service to themselves not repairing it. Well over 100 days in the garage in one year.

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Rontheman

As I thought!! Q3 Stronic gearbox is DQ500 version and is not affected. Below from a search on the net.

DQ 500 in the Q3. Volkswagen don't have anything with the DQ500.

Cheers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks prince4142, goes some way to putting my mind at rest.

·
Registered
518 Posts
thanks prince, echo contritions sentiments too!

·
Registered
50 Posts
My car was has been off the road since 31 july 2013 yes nearly 200 days,
i hope to get a solution soon without court but who knows.I would love to share all the detail including the good bad and the ugly.The sad thing is if Customer service were any good at following up or helping i would put it down as a rouge car and have another(as they basicaly build good cars)unfortunatly i can not. Needless to say i am tired, unhappy and dissapointed.This was my eleventh Audi/VW car but i belive it to be my last.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts