Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having a similar issue with the s-tronic gearbox getting carried away in 2nd gear?From a standing start, all the shifts take place at about 1600rpm (not booting it), then higher rpm with a heavier right foot, as expected. However, when turning a corner after slowing down, when 2nd gear is selected, the revs can go up to 2600 or 3200 even before it changes to 3rd. It takes a VERY light touch to keep it tame, even then with some difficulty- all the other shifts are dealt with in a civilised fashion. Somewhat embarrassing having a screaming diesel engine around town!Asked the sales rep about it and he thinks it's normal. Car is going in next week to have steering wheel aligned properly, so I'll get it checked then...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Slim47

I have the exact same thing and just put it down to the S-tronic box. Nearly always turning at a junction. The feather light touch does seem to stop it occasionally. Let us know what they find.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yep, same issue here. I thought it had improved as more miles go on, but in reality I think I am just getting used to it.

I would be interested in the outcome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to know it's not just my right foot, I will report back in due course ;-)
cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. It does not happen all the time though, sometimes it seems worse on slopes are involved ( cornering up tight hilly terrain ).Is your hill dissent working ok i.e. will it hold gear down hill with your feet off the pedals. My Q3 does strange erratic things in such circumstances, some times it will hold gear other times it does not. If yours has similar problems get it checked! My Q3 put me off a cliff in the snow when it just gave up holding and lunged me down a snowy hill to my fate. Get it checked before it is too late

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think the S Tronic reacts to different driving styles, mine can seem erratic sometimes other days it's great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think so Del, I have never read that the Q3 has an intelligent driver reading system of any sort. I can only think the electronics are super secretive and prone to faults. The Metatronic unit seems to be a regular fault causing item.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The Metatronic problem is there but Audi UK think its best to ignore it.

I think the USA and other countries have extended warranties on S Tronic gearboxes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Happens every time I go down a hill near me with a sharp bend at the bottom requiring quite hard braking. I suspect the software thinks a lower gear is going to be needed in reaction to falling speed, 2nd is pre engaged and it takes a couple of seconds to work out that it isn't needed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update on the over active 2nd gear situation, folks. My Q3 was in today having the steering wheel aligned, and several bods drove it to try and determine if there was an issue with the over-revving. Apparently, none of them could detect anything out of the ordinary, so looks like it's all down to the way us regular punters use our right feet ;-) My car isn't over-cooking to 3100rpm anymore unless I boot it, so maybe I've adapted my accelerator clog to suit?
Conspiracy theorists, over to you...
cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I think I know what it could be - a combination of the slightly uneven power delivery the diesel engine gives and the propensity of the S-tronic 'box to slow-change on odd occasions. If the two occur together (not uncommon when pulling away) the end result would be an over-rev in second gear. Yet another reason why I went for the petrol engine - smooth power curve.

This would also explain why the techies failed to find a problem - there isn't one, that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gromit said:
Yet another reason why I went for the petrol engine - smooth power curve.

This would also explain why the techies failed to find a problem - there isn't one, that's just the way it is.

Could just be down to the way the car is driven
One thing that OH and I like is how smooth the gear change is - virtually unnoticeable - but, we do try to drive the car carefully and try to be fuel efficient, so no heavy foot on the accelerator, heavy braking etc etc We haven't noticed any problem at all with the gear change etc - Stronic is fantastic
We do have Drive Select - does that make any difference ??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Believe it or not, I drive carefully too as I do a lot of mileage for work and am self-employed so have to pay for my own fuel :-( I do like a good combination of power (for overtaking mainly) and economy though, and the 177bhp diesel fits the bill! Ok, so having Quattro sucks a fair bit of extra fuel over fwd, but worth the trade off IMHO.The s-tronic is otherwise superb, and maybe Drive Select would help a little- would interesting to compare, maybe will look at getting it retro-fitted at some point...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts