Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not unusual, but on a 2019 plate?. Surely this contaminates the pads, but not according to my local dealership...who also said the initial squeeling is not an issue?mmmmmm!
I imagine the F3 has budget discs if after a few months they look like my 1982 wheelbarrow...any body else experiencing this?
It hasn't been standing for weeks and it's not parked on the beach , in case you wondered,,:)

Registered
Annoying but normal unfortunately 馃檮

Registered
Unfortunately Audi Q3 discs go very rusty and look terrible your's are a classic example. In my case the local stealership emphasises the fact that as I live by a sealoch ipso facto I get rusty discs.
I don't know if the rust from the discs affects or contaminates the pads, but I reckon both may wear through quicker. I don't have a solution to the problem, perhaps ceramics !!

Mike

Super Moderator
Some of us are old enough to remember Japanese motorcycles in the 1970s when disc brakes started to replace drums...grey iron discs go rusty and stainless steel ones don't. Only downside of stainless was that it lacked the desirable friction properties of iron, especially when wet, one would grab a handful of brake lever expecting something urgent to happen...and it didn't.

To Mike's point, the OEM pads are abrasive and wear the disc rotors rapidly but don't seem to be effected by rust. When I wash my cars I have a 1 mile run to dry the discs before drying the bodywork...as I'm also a bit (actually very 馃槩) OCD it ensures that wheel wells, when cleaned won't get crud on them.

Registered
In over 37 years of Audi ownership I have never had rusty brake discs. Before I use the high pressure wash I spray the discs with alloy wheel cleaner, blast it off with the pressure washer then go on a short drive. It seems to work and also stops the electric handbrake from sticking when parked overnight.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys - I think I will have to wait for my RS before I can afford ceramics, but I guess more cleaning time (it's black, so another 30 mins on top of the 3 hours won't matter)...I do feel that braking suffers as a result, but difficult to prove - just based on previous Audi's I have had (Q5's/A4 AllRoad/A4Q Avant/A6) guess i probably shouldnt compare. Just brings back memories of my Alfa.

Registered
Hi all ,I to have rusty brake disc on my 2020 vorsprung.But I have only a line of rust on one of the rears.I was hoping that the pad making contact would have cleaned the rust off but after doing 2000 miles since I brought it it鈥檚 still the same.
Have emailed my local dealer last week with some pics to ask for their observations but as yet no reply.
Gary.

Registered
The pads will not clean the inner section as they don't go that far in. After you wash the car do you leave it standing?

Registered
The pads will not clean the inner section as they don't go that far in. After you wash the car do you leave it standing?
Hi ,I always drive round the block after I wash the car.I only have it on one of the discs,funny how the others are ok?

Registered
Have just found another pic which if you look carefully the pad actually covers the rusted part,I wander if the face of the disc is not flat?

Registered
I have checked my Q3 and my rear brakes are identical to yours. What I also find curious is that the hub seems to have some rust. Now I can't be sure but is the hub made of aluminium or an aluminium alloy? I'm no chemist but is this rust or is this a chemical reaction due to a manufacturing defect. There are a number of owners who have had the same problem, maybe they have come up with a resolution.

Registered
I painted my hubs last year. Got fed up with them looking ratty.
You just get used to rusty discs...they soon clean up.

Registered
Well my hubs are rusty also when it rains and car is parked disc show rust all over.
After few miles of driving and braking clears the rust to some extent.
Also I get sticky brakes syndrome while parked and it rained.
I have stopped looking at it.
Brakes work fine but first few brakes you can hear that grinding due to rust.
But mines don't squeak.
It's Q3 2020 vorsprung.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

Super Moderator
Have just found another pic which if you look carefully the pad actually covers the rusted part,I wander if the face of the disc is not flat? View attachment 2464
The RSQ3 (8U and F3) share the same rear discs as the 40/45TFSI Q3, I had the hubs painted at the same time as the calipers were repainted black to red, now with Redstuff pads installed. As posted previously I do drive 1 mile immediately after washing the car to dry the brake discs off - the full disc face is being swept by the pads. You can see that the ceramic pads polish the disc like a mirror - the reflection of the caliper is visible.

Registered
I park on my drive which does slope. I wonder if that is a factor in why I don't have rusty discs?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think there are a lot of very "accepting" owners out there - let's be honest who really wants rust on their car. Painting,spraying,cleaning - it's a NEW car we shouldn't have to resort to this (especially those with Vorsprung or RS editions) - sorry grumble/rant over ....I will try again with the "stealership" (nice title Lochsider)and update.

Registered
Discs are vaguely acceptable as it鈥檚 using the right materials.
Hubs are totally unacceptable.
Mind you, I鈥檓 reasonably good at cleaning wheels but the paint on them starts peeling after 5 years.

Registered
Unfortunately we cannot defy the laws of physics. Most manufacturers use cast iron for the discs to reduce cost and increase longevity which means that under certain environmental conditions they will rust. This is not all bad news as if driven regularly the pads will remove the surface rust. If this is not the case then the surface rust will eat in to the discs and pads and cause irreparable damage requiring replacement. The braking performance will not be affected by surface rust but will cause handbrake stiction if the handbrake is left on overnight. We can complain as much as we like but this is an object lesson in futility as unless the manufacturer changes the disc material there will always be the possibility of rust. Now looking at the hubs, these must be made of cast iron. As these do not have any frictional components they can be painted which will stop them rusting. The conditions behind them rusting are many and with many of them there is nothing we can do to stop rust happening. However, regular driving will reduce significantly any major expenditure.

Registered
The thickness of paint on the hubs is miniscule.
It鈥檚 almost as if they don鈥檛 try as it seems to be on pretty much every car these days.

Reactions: TheJam
1 - 20 of 29 Posts