Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every picture of the Q3 headlamps I have seen show the strip light type of daytime running light. Does anyone know if the daytime running lights on the halogen headlamps are different or the same? and if so where can I see what they look like?Cheers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi
They are just little square bulbs not a strip not has good has LEDs

Regards dan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to turn either type off, it's the only thing I dislike about my Q3. My previous Audi had an option to turn off the "Christmas " sorry daytime running lights in the MMI but there is no option to turn them off on mine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi you can't turn the running lights off. Audi view them as a safety device as government policy are pushing all manufacturers to install running lights.

I have to disagree thought with Christmas tree lights I think they are one of the strongest features of the Q3's styling.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I can't tell an Audi from a Kia or Fiesta from the front nowadays, they all have the led strips along the lights. The only ones i like are the bmw halo effect ones, you know instantly it's a bmw from a glance. The one thing i really miss from my last car is the halo lights, Audi need to find a design that works well and stick to it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also disagree , the led lights on the audi are a wow feature , audi were the first with these type of lights and still the best ,

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My neighbour has a new Kia Ceed he bought for under 13K, it has a nifty set of drl led lights at the front and they were standard equipment

Then again i did see a Honda civic the other day that was worth about 20p with 4 sets at the front
Why oh why do people fit these aftermarket versions!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
WeeCobi, they are different ie they are not led strip, just and ordinary single bulb, in fact they look no more then a side light to be honest. I was disappointed when I picked my Q3 up expecting led strip.
Anyone know if the bulbs can be simply changed for something 'brighter' ?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
They'restandardon cars half the price, in fact a 3rd of theprice. Anyway I'mputting my soapbox away cos they are blooming great cars and despite it's few flaws I'd probably buy another

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can easily get LED replacement bulbs for normal sidelights which do give an improvement, I fitted a set to a Scirocco and they are now fitted to my wifes Ibiza. You can get a set cheaply from Ebay or Amazon, just check the bulb type in the manual.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all; but very disappointed as I had been expecting the LED strip. My vehicle has been confirmed for build and no further changes can be accommodated. Speaking to the dealer tomorrow but looks as though my only option will be to cancel my slot and start over again. I agree with ****** and others; the strips have the wow factor and define the car.Furthermore the additional cost means I will have to re-jig all my options. The S Line that comes with the LED/Xenon comes with a lot of things I don't want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks - looks like I will be removing the bulbs or the fuse/relay! I think it was Volvo and Saab that started the lights on during the daytime trend. I think it was the boy racers/custom car guys who started the LED trend. Guess my next Audi will get compulsory blue under car lights, bouncing suspension and flashing LED fluffy dice! Bah Humbug.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm fairly neutral on the LED lights - Day-running lights are a good idea, I guess, but the standard square bulb ones on the SE (non-Xenon) aren't particularly effective - other brands do it better!
That said, the cost of Xenons with the LED strip was (in my humble opinion) too high - seeing as I don't get the benefit of them from behind the steering wheel, I spent my cash on things that were for me - such as Leather, heated seats, Tech pack etc - so far no-one has ever said "nice car, but shame it hasn't got LED lights" - but they have enjoyed a warm seat on a cold morning, and I love the SatNav and Hard Disk stereo system :)
Edited by: Jules

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone.
DRL's are now a legalrequirementfor all new carsmanufactured for European use.This has been a legalrequirementfor all cars registered after Feb 2011. Guess what......Yup its from ourfriendsacross the water. Plus, the police can fine you if you try and alter/remove their functionality Check it out...
European Directive 76/656/EEC, as amended by 2008/89/EC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I take the point on heated seats (Jules) being better value but I've always liked the look of the LED daytime running lights. I have changed my spec at the cost of my build date; thanks again for the earlier advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good old EEC! Glad I have the non LED ones at least. Reading various articles seems one LED out means an MOT failure and forking out for whole new headlamp unit, ouch!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The rear lights on my last car were LED, indicator stopped working one day with the usual double click sound when it was on. I checked all the lamps and was surprised it was my rear LED indicator. Whole new unit was needed, luckily i was under warranty like everybody on here will be but i used to be under the impression they lasted the life of the car.

·
Registered
563 Posts
That's the biggest problem with LED's if one goes then it normally means a whole new expensive light

·
Registered
563 Posts
I must admit though the LED lights on an Audi do have a certain snob appeal

1 - 20 of 35 Posts