Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a discussion on what tyre's were fitted as standard when you got your Q3Pirelli Scorpion Verde
Tyre Size
235/50V18£173.30 eachThe manual states you must replace all the tyre's at once otherwise it may damage the 4wd systemCheck on http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-search.asp</font>I have heard that you must not change brand size etc from those fitted as standard when registered otherwise if you make a claim the insurance company can decline your claim.Is this true?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am certain you can change the brand of tyre, and also change the type, in terms of summer/all weather/winter tyre. You cannot change the V rating, nor the tyre size, and I have heard that one should change all 4 tyres together. What this means when one has a puncture saywith 25% tyre wear all roundis, of course, debatable.Tyre manufacturers change tyre brand names (eg Scorpion Verde) almost annually, so of course in 2-3 years time when your tyres need replacing, it is unlikely Scorpion Verde's will still be on the market

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
The obvious person to answer this one fully and accurately is tyreman - hopefully he'll drop in before too long and help. I can tell you, however, that you need to abide by the following:-

Keep the size, V and Y rating as per manufacturer's recommendation.

You can have different makes providing the above is adhered to, but best not to mix on the same axle - not mandatory but advisable.

If changing to winter or all-seasons tyres, change them all at once - mixing them is a big no-no!

Finally, don't take ANYTHING Kwik-fit say as gospel - it's a bit like saying "It must be true, I read it in the Sun".

Edited by: Gromit

·
Registered
485 Posts
If tyre wear is so important, why aren't the tyres rotated when serviced to even out the wear?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am not sure uneven tyre wear is an issue. My point was related to what happens if one has a puncture when all the tyres have, say, had about 25% wear. Would one then need to replace all the tyres?

·
Registered
84 Posts
With my fingers firmly crossed I would say 25% wear would be OK. Personal experiences of giving it a go regarding not replacing all the tyres in one go on vehicles. Did a M***edes that badly needed a pair of tyres. Other pair should have been done as they were very low but legal. Cruise control refused to work afterwards. Presumably the electronics for the traction control turned it off as the car thought it had a pair of wheels running on a loose surface. Too great a difference between the distance covered of one axle in relation to the other. Have put one tyre of a different make on an SUV type vehicle. That put a few of the warning lights on the dash as well! Replacing the one the other side fixed it. My point being is at the extremes it does matter. Vehicles can only compensate so far. Mixing makes of tyres can potentially go wrong because tyres the same size are not the same size. That might sound daft but it is true if you stand different makes of tyre of the same size side by side. Hence the reason speedometers on cars always read low to cover eventualities.

One anecdote for the oldies, on early Peugeot 205's not fitting Michelin in the original fitment size actually fouled the suspension! Other makes of tyre were "bigger" despite the size on the side wall.

I presume this is the sort of confusing waffle that Gromit was expecting.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well i got these on mine from the factory.
235/55 V17<strong style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Pirelli Scorpion Verde[/b]<div style="text-align: left;">
<div style="text-align: left;">
<strong style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">
[/b]<strong style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">
[/b]<strong style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">
[/b]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gromit said:
Finally, don't take ANYTHING Kwik-fit say as gospel - it's a bit like saying "It must be true, I read it in the Sun".
The kwik-fit didn't tell me anything its just their as a link to look up what tyre's you have on your car.But not sure how they know want tyre's you have fitted on your Q3

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Far from being confusing waffle (that's MY speciality!) I found that quite clear and valuable. It also explains why my previous car (Jaguar X-Type 4WD Estate) HAD to be fitted with manufacturer-spec. tyres, otherwise Bad Things would happen to the electronics.

Tyreman doesn't know this but I'm a customer of his and can tell you (at fear of making him blush) that he runs one of the few honest tyre suppliers in Gromit's Retreat - they have an enviable reputation locally and I respect his opinion.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
</font>The info in the
manual was the same
</font>Kia Sportage

</font>Mitsubishi Shogun
Sport

</font>Mitsubishi
Outlander electronic dial 2wd 4wd 4 auto

</font>Kia Sorento

</font>And Now Audi Q3

</font>All 4wd cars in the last 15
years. The first 2 cars had manual 4wd systems with ladder frames
chassis.The rest all posh 4wd electronic Haldex systems in one form or
another

</font>The manual stated tyres must
be replaced as a set

</font>Anybody get sold tyres warranty

</font>I am 48 and never worn out
a tyre yet I had to replace some due to punctures or nails near the tyre wall
edge and couldn't be repaired</font></font></font>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for a very useful post. News to me that 4 wheel drive required changing all the tyres. So I spoke to my dealer, who told me that tread depth between back and front can be no more than 3mm different, and from side to side, a difference of no more than 2mm. I went out and swapped the rear and front tyres, finding that the rear tyres have worn more than the front. About 2mm difference after 8,000 miles. It wasn't clear if these tolerances are to retain the handling or to protect the 4 wheel drive mechanism.

It does seem odd, or perhaps not, that Audi's publicity for its quattro system neglects to mention the tyre replacement issue, eg possibility of £1000 for one puncture on half worn tyres. I have seen something about lathes that will scrape the new tyre down to match, but that isn't much better.Nor could I find anything in the service book to indicate when tyre checking and rotation is needed. The issue wasn't mentioned at handover for the new car either.

The hand book refers to tread depths being "preferably" the same. So is equal tread depth something to preserve the handling? Or is it really to ensure the 4 wheel drive mechanism isn't wrecked? My hunch is the former.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
drjamesr said:
Thanks for a very useful post. News to me that 4 wheel drive required changing all the tyres. So I spoke to my dealer, who told me that tread depth between back and front can be no more than 3mm different, and from side to side, a difference of no more than 2mm. I went out and swapped the rear and front tyres, finding that the rear tyres have worn more than the front
From my understanding more drive goes to the rear not the front in Audi Q3 permanent 4x4 drive it's a 60 % to rear 40% front
drjamesr said:
It does seem odd, or perhaps not, that Audi's publicity for its Quattro system neglects to mention the tyre replacement issue, eg possibility of £1000 for one puncture on half worn tyres
It's not only Audi my Mitsubishi Outlander and Kia Sorento give out the same info on tyre systems My Shogun Sport as well (old style 4x4)
drjamesr said:
The hand book refers to tread depths being "preferably" the same. So is equal tread depth something to preserve the handling? Or is it really to ensure the 4 wheel drive mechanism isn't wrecked? My hunch is the former.
The Audi Q3 manual was the worst I have read no info on anything on RHD cars

1 - 12 of 12 Posts