Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have a 2021 RSQ3 vorsprung edition with aprx. 8000 on the clock. About two weeks ago and at exactly a speed of 115mph, there is a continuous loud banging noise on the front right side. If you go below 115mph, the noise stops. Sounds like a problem with the turbocharger.
Audi dealership says that they cannot replicate because it is illegal to test the car at this speed!! Computer testing shows no fault.
Any ideas please?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
What happens if you take the vehicle to high revs / engine speed in a lower gear? I would guess a turbocharger issue would be apparent in any gear at certain RPMs, if it is fully dependent on vehicles speed, possibly some wheel arch trim, undertray or similar? Either way, hoping it isn’t an expensive fix 🤞

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks. The car is automatic. It doesn't matter if you are on normal drive, RS1, or RS2. As soon as you hit exactly 177 kmh (115mph) the noise starts and remains until you go below this threshold speed.

·
Registered
2022 RSQ3 SE in Dayton Grey, C&S, red calipers
372 Posts
I had something similar, but not at these speeds, turned out to be a loose section of undertray after I had charged through some water.

Mike

Reactions: Gromit

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
That sounds the most likely to me at this stage. Airflow over a loose leading edge would eventually find a sympathetic frequency or harmonic that could produce precisely that result at exactly the right speed. Get it up on a ramp and look closely for slightly loose undertray sections.

Reactions: Chris248

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
Good to hear you've sorted it, glad it was nothing serious or expensive.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Good to hear you found the issue. A shame that Audi dealership created the issue and then wouldn't look at resolving it for you though. I'd consider changing dealerships.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do these dealers have any common sense? If the ecu registers no errors they can't help? So they couldn't be bothered to have a look underneath on a lift.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Which sums up car dealers perfectly….which has been the case for donkeys years.
”The computers says no fault” so there is no fault. Been there, had that, even when you demonstrate it in front of them.

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
Main dealer common sense? There's an oxymoron for you. :rolleyes: Back in the dim and distant I worked for Ford, Vauxhall and Jaguar main dealers, and I can tell you 'twas ever thus!

Reactions: TheJam
1 - 11 of 11 Posts