Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have had my new RSQ3 for some time now and have reached the end of my tether with the ride. I have had previous RS cars with 21" wheels before and the ride has been nowhere near as uncomfortable. It isn't really the potholes that are the issue, the car never feels settled, undulating road surfaces have me fidgeting and squirming making for a super unsettled ride. Now I have come to realise that I don't have the magnetic ride or equivalent which my past cars did but im thinking the large 21" wheels mixed with the short wheel base, higher centre of gravity and stiff suspension all play a part. So not sure if I should put smaller wheels, look at suspension tweak or take the hit and sell.

·
Super Moderator
6,229 Posts
I would suggest a wheel/tyre swap for 20" rims. A fair part of the cost could be recouped by selling the existing 21" wheel/tyre sets. I've seen several comments from RSQ3 owners with 20" wheels stating that the ride is surprisingly good. I'm sure some of them will be along in a minute... :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I was amazed with the RS with 20’s on my, admittedly short, Surrey lanes test drive.
It was one of my main concerns about changing cars from the 18’s on my Q3.
South East roads are diabolical so we need something survivable. My old 130i had RFTs and even on 18’s they were horrendous and also triggered the tractional control at a continuous 30mph over cast iron manholes.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a 45TFSI with 20" wheels, 255/40R20 Hankooks and the standard sports suspension. I find the ride more than excellent and predictable. I do not find the suspension to be hard but this could be to do with the increased tyre wall size and/or manufacturer of the tyres.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The F3 RS has a bit of a reputation for a fidgety ride compared to an 8U RS. The 8U rode well on it's 20s with or without the adaptive suspension. F3s, even with adaptive, have been reported in several reviews as having a much firmer ride. Difficult decision to make.

·
Super Moderator
3,103 Posts
The Std F3 RSQ3 on 20" wheels is near perfect, I've driven down to Barbury shooting ground in Wiltshire in torrential rain, A roads all the way (got drowned shooting too) and one of the topics on the way back was the impressive ride quality - wheels are the Audi stud pattern, 8.5J ET38, the Std RS wheels look like this - shod with 255/40 R20 tyres you have a bit of forgiving sidewall @ 33PSI.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That garage is totally unacceptable.
Where is all the ‘stuff’?
If anything, I have one triple ladder and six stepladders.

Reactions: EasyTyler and S3GCN

·
Super Moderator
3,103 Posts
Garage Playroom. I'm a tidy chap David, possible quite a bit OCD... :rolleyes:

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You could do open heart surgery on that floor. OCD or what!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My bike shed in tidy(ish) mode

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm on the 21's and, yes most driving is urban driving, but in all honesty I cannot complain with the experience... Very smooth and quite settled.

·
Super Moderator
3,103 Posts
You could do open heart surgery on that floor. OCD or what!
I have a garage mop and bucket, if you fancy open heart surgery just form an orderly queue and I'll find a my slightly blunt Stanley knife... :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,103 Posts
I'm on the 21's and, yes most driving is urban driving, but in all honesty I cannot complain with the experience... Very smooth and quite settled.
You have is a Vorsprung though - so you have the adaptive dampers (RS Suspension Plus) as standard which were recommended in several different road tests on cars with 21" wheels. I can't recall what Phoenixred has, if it is a Sport Edition or one of the Introductory volume cars he may not have the option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No I don’t have the suspension plus option, which is looking to be costly mistake on my part. I currently drive country lanes having been used to mostly motorways and while a few 20” wheel owners have said they think the ride is ok I’m struggling to see if that little bit of extra tyre wall will make a lot of difference if I drop down a wheel size. I’m even contemplating 19” which I haven’t looked into seriously whether they would fit.

Not a big fan of the car so far I’m afraid.

The F3 RS has a bit of a reputation for a fidgety ride compared to an 8U RS. The 8U rode well on it's 20s with or without the adaptive suspension. F3s, even with adaptive, have been reported in several reviews as having a much firmer ride. Difficult decision to make.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,103 Posts
Phoenixred - you are in Worcestershire and I'm in Warwick, in adjacent counties so we are not exactly a million miles apart are we? We could meet and go for a spin - you'd know 1st hand then.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have had 37 years of owning Audi's, normal, S and RS variants. What I have personally found with all RS models with adaptive suspension is don't have it. The comfort and ride are dependant on side wall height and the tyre manufacturer. I currently run with 20"/Hankook and I find the comfort and ride to be very good. Audi, like all car manufacturers have no tyre manufacturer loyalty but do test out the cars with the different tyres/manufacturers available. You get on your car what they have available and has been tested. The difference between a 35 profile and a 40 profile is significant as there is more tyre to flex under adverse road conditions. Before going ahead I would find someone with an RSQ3/20" and test it out. The 19" wheels/tyres will give a softer ride but the precision of the road holding will be reduced.

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Super Moderator
3,103 Posts
On the difference between 21" and 20" and the slightly higher aspect ratio tyres.... when driving normally in the country road scenario for most of the time the springs and damper vertical movement range won't be great perhaps 20-25mm (unless you find a pothole 😢) probably less so a flexible tyre sidewall can make a huge difference to the damping effect. There is a trade-off in that more suspension travel usually means barge like handling in the corners. The RSQ3 doesn't do 'barge'.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can confirm the grip and steering on 21s are precise, but oh on some poorer quality road surfaces you pay the penalty of noise and harsher ride, I still like my 21s.

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts