Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Have been thinking for the last couple of weeks to get front windows (driver & passenger) tinted, and ideally to match where possible with rear windows. I read quite a bit about it but thought asking for your opinions/advice/recommendations if anyone has done it before, etc. Not so worried about UV/sun rejection, mainly for privacy. Wondering if the window films are any good or would you go for the more expensive option for better results and have the glass taken off and tinted. Had the film done 10y ago on my old suv but with time it ended up cracking, maybe there are better brands for this today? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spike. Front windows hardly look tinted!! Any idea what percentage factory tints are on the front windows?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Spike. Front windows hardly look tinted!! Any idea what percentage factory tints are on the front windows?
I think you will find the tints on the front are near if not fully on the legal limit. Of course,you will find plenty of places that will darken these,it depends on how much attention you want to bring on yourself from “the man”.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
I would strongly advise against it for two reasons:-

1) It is genuinely dangerous. I've had the misfortune to ride in a car with drug-dealer front windows and although they weren't heavily tinted neither I nor the driver (!) could clearly see through them and we were both glad when we could hand the car back to the Arfur Daley and leg it!

2) It is an obvious and very easy nick for the marauding plod traffic police. The car will draw the wrong sort of attention and you'll very quickly get fed up with being pulled. I suggest if you must go that route get tinted film - if Her Majesty's finest are in a good mood they'll let you peel a large part of the film off yourself while they watch (and gloat) before sending you on your merry way with a warning. If it's any more permanent they'll simply nick you for it.

I'm not totally sure but it may even be an MoT failure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise guys. It was purely a thought I had going on for the last couple of weeks... Glad to have your feedback!

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you wanted to go a bit darker you will probably get away with it even if they were illegal, my son has done this on is Passat CC and has never been pulled but the minute you match the front to the back it’s clearly obvious what you have done and I am sure Gromit is right it’s a Mot failure but again if you have the contrast of a slightly lighter shade to the front you would probably get away with it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wanted to do the same but if you look from outside you hardly recognise the face who is inside without tint.
So no point getting a film.
I know visually it looks good but again no point breaking the law.
My car is black rear windows black if I get my front windows tinted would look more black.
As others mentioned un necessary attention no point

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had very dark tinted windows in the front and back on all my cars. And I moved to UK 6 years ago and had a TT and an E-pace with very dark windows. (For privacy. I don’t want thieves to see inside my car).
Never been bothered, arrested or anything else. It always passed the MOTs (it’s not something they check).
This only tiny tiny thing I agree is that it makes it a little bit more difficult to see at night, but honestly, in a decade I have had dark windows, I have been annoyed twice.
go for it ! It looks amazing. (I am going to some guys who use high quality films. You can’t even see it’s films.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Exemple on my e-pace

·
Registered
66 Posts
Keep in mind : I always put darker on the back ones. If my memory is correct it’s 30% less
light transmission at the front, and 40%less light at the back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks PLF!! I was considering darkening the fronts slightly and also go down a shade or two on rears. Which guys do you go to, and what type of films do they use?

·
Registered
66 Posts
They're called London car store, here is their website :

They were recommended by my Jaguar Dealership 3 years ago when I bought it. And they have done a great job. I didn't go into the details of which film they use, I don't know. I just know they are so good that you don't even see there is a film, it's amazing. Very happy.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just don’t have an accident.
Great way to blame you and refuse some payout.

·
Registered
66 Posts
you're not wrong. :) I guess I'll find a way to remove the films quickly before they check it ;P
But yeah, that's a good point.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Tinted vehicle windows: the law

The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.
Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.
Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985
The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through.
Penalties for having wrongly tinted windows
It’s illegal to fit or sell glass (or a vehicle already fitted with glass) that breaks the rules on tinted windows.
The police or the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) vehicle examiners use light measuring equipment to measure window tint.
If your windscreen or front side windows are tinted too much you could get:

• a ‘prohibition notice’ stopping you using your vehicle on the road until you have the extra tint removed
  • a penalty notice or court summons

'Nuff said. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sorry but I think it’s a daft idea and dangerous to other road users....speaking as a motorcyclist who won’t get seen when you pull out of a side turning because the tinted windows restrict vision.
If you don’t want things seen in the car, put them in the boot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tinted vehicle windows: the law

The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.
Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.
Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985
The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through.
Penalties for having wrongly tinted windows
It’s illegal to fit or sell glass (or a vehicle already fitted with glass) that breaks the rules on tinted windows.
The police or the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) vehicle examiners use light measuring equipment to measure window tint.
If your windscreen or front side windows are tinted too much you could get:

• a ‘prohibition notice’ stopping you using your vehicle on the road until you have the extra tint removed
  • a penalty notice or court summons

'Nuff said. :rolleyes:
ohhh look at that, my tints are actually legal ! Cool ! Thank you for the legal text. Super useful ! (y)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry but I think it’s a daft idea and dangerous to other road users....speaking as a motorcyclist who won’t get seen when you pull out of a side turning because the tinted windows restrict vision.
If you don’t want things seen in the car, put them in the boot.
hmmmm... you realise we are not talking about opaque windows, right ? lol
And as you can see above, 60% in the back, and 70% in the front is legal. (and doesn't alter visibility. So relax. :)
And FYI, I am a motorcyclist too. And the assholes are the drivers who don't put their indicators when they turn.
And anyway, as you know, it's forbidden to ride aside a car, you should be behind, right ? and, like me, over the years, you certainly got used to not be in the blind spots. ;)
So, all good in the hood.
Cheerio

1 - 20 of 27 Posts