Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
Having just had my Haldex pump replaced (as per another recent thread) by an excellent local VAG indie, they checked for a definitive service interval and came up with three years, whereas the local main dealer reckoned 40,000 mile intervals, which is what I'd gone with and probably the reason mine failed. By the time 40,000 miles came up the car was nearer six years old.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Gen 4 Haldex pump motors usually fail open circuit for brushes not contacting the rotor anymore... it could have been a very easy maintenance task if a carbon brushes kit was provided which it isn't. I still have my failed motor that I plan on restoring for later use with new brushes. That particular failure is not correlated with Haldex fluid changes frequency or pre-filter mesh screen clean ups.

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
Ah, that could be it then. I know it failed open circuit only a short time after the oil change & filter screen clean I had at 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I though Gen 5 Haldex appeared in 2009? Certainly belongs to Borg Warner now...

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
A little bird told me that MRC can provide the spark plugs at a significant saving on the stealership price.
I've read somewhere that there is an NGK equivalent to the Beru plugs.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tbh John I ignore when it first appeared, but quite logically it started being adopted on a wider scale in later years. As for the owner Haldex is a company from Sweden detaining the patent for such differential gear. It's far less clear the implication between VW AG and BorgWarner since the former reinterpreted the original DCT in cases like the DQ200 calling in a third company like LUK to engineer the dry clutches but they still seem to resort to BW for upper gearboxes without ever citing BW anymore. Clearly this is an indication an agreement of some sort is in place between the VW Group and BW concerning names and commercial attributions.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Reactions: m80

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wasn't aware of that... so late on that news: Haldex is now BW firm.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I see they have bought Remy too recently - not going to get left behind in the switch to EVs - Remy do traction motors amongst other stuff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi guys, just had my car(2014 RSQ3) in for some checks @ Audi and the "health check" report came back as 60% worn front stock pads. (current mileage 16.5k) 20% worn on rear.
Probably overkill with just less than half of tread left on pads but Looking at replacing with EBC Redstuff when my MOT is due end of Jan.... the slight squeaking on braking is beginning to annoy me a little now!
Nothing was mentioned about brake discs being worn... I take it this means I'm not below the 2mm wear allowance, who knows! Anyone else had the disc wear reported on Audi health checks?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
When mine was in for it's end of warranty check the video commentary from the Audi tech noted that RS disc pads friction material starts off thinner than a conventional normal Audi. I'd never heard this before I have to say, that said needing front pads and maybe discs if one is using the stock OEM pads at around the 30k seems to be the norm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, just had my car(2014 RSQ3) in for some checks @ Audi and the "health check" report came back as 60% worn front stock pads. (current mileage 16.5k) 20% worn on rear.
Probably overkill with just less than half of tread left on pads but Looking at replacing with EBC Redstuff when my MOT is due end of Jan.... the slight squeaking on braking is beginning to annoy me a little now!
Nothing was mentioned about brake discs being worn... I take it this means I'm not below the 2mm wear allowance, who knows! Anyone else had the disc wear reported on Audi health checks?
I may be being a little pessimistic, but Audi Watford tried your tell me something very similar following my health check with them, after telling me the 1mm wear limit to the disc faces was a load of rubbish and I shouldn’t believe everything I read on forums, which is why I headed back here asking for more info on this to find out the wear allowance is engraved on the discs!

I then questioned them on how they missed this for one considering it was a “master tech” who worked on the car and how they reached the conclusion that I still had 70% life on the discs and they couldn’t answer, telling me if I wanted it measured they need to dissemble the entire brake assembly removing the callipers to measure the disc with a micrometer, at cost of course!!!

I raised it with Audi UK and funnily the centre management are now not responding to Audi UK following their initial conversation regarding the complaint?!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Bought a 2015 RSQ3 340ps a few months back, had an S3 before it was stolen and although was considering not getting a performance model as attracts attention, im glad I did and very impressed with the Q3.

One issue I'm having recently is a drone noise coming from the front right wheel. It happens up to 20mph and only after the car has been driven for a while. If I tap the brakes it goes immediately and can hear the noise resonating though the steering wheel.

Reading this post I see I'm not alone in this but as I bought the car from an independent dealer, I don't think I can go back to them.

What has been the fix for many, is it new brakes or just pads? Are there any checks I can carry out to narrow this down?

Any help is much appreciated.

Nick

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Welcome to the board Nick - mmm I want that checked out, it might not be the brakes at all even though touching the pedal stops the noise.

It seems to be the case that RSQ3s are so rare that the hooligan element are unaware of it's existence or capability. I have to ask - your 2015 car isn't Sepang Blue - ET15EWX is it....I always wonder what happened to my 1st one...someone has a cracking car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry John the mystery continues, it’s white so not your car!

Yes hopefully they don’t notice the car, have bought a steering lock but sometimes think it just highlights the fact I think it’s worth nicking..

I’ve had a mechanic look at the car and 90% sure it’s the brakes but will ask to check it out again. I saw a post on this thread which matched my problem exactly so was wondering what brakes/pads people change to as have read some are better than Audi own?

Nick

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Some of us, myself included are using EBC Redstuff pads - each calliper has 4 pads in it, 8 in total.

The EBCs are:

1) Quiet
2) Very low dust
3) Polish rather than wear away the surface of the disc - the discs brand new are 34mm thick, the minimum thickness is 32mm and they are circa £500 a pair. It's been confirmed in this thread that there are wear-indicators in the surface of the disc.
4) Have better initial bite when cold and improve markedly when hot

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/audi/rsq3-8u/2.5-Turbo-2015-/1000313

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem happens below 20mph while creeping in traffic or manoeuvring car, especially when on full lock. If you press the brakes it stops immediately.

If you listen to the YouTube video you'll hear it clearly. The previous model RS3 and TTRS had a similar, but not identical, issue which also resulted in new calipers and discs.

My car is on 21,000 miles and the noise started aro16,000 miles. Front brakes only, initially near side but now both
have You got to solve this problem? I have a RSQ3 2017 with 20.000 miles and it started to do this noise. The pads were changed by OEM parts when it was 17.000 miles at the Audi dealer when I bought the car this year.
I was wondering change again by others, but I’m concerned if it will be necessary to change the brake discs.
Can You help me?

101 - 120 of 133 Posts