Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
An Audi service department 'might' fit them - however would you really want to pay the £100+ an hour labour rate? Going to an independent is a much better path and the one I would recommend for the pad replacement.

You do 'need' them - as fitting Redstuffs now will save you at least £500 for a pair of front discs plus fitting. The service life of the OEM pads is such that the discs will likely be worn past the safe limit before the pads themselves need replacing.

My RSQ3 has 16k on the clock now and I'll replace the front pads (arriving today) as soon as my crazy travel schedule permits.
I'll certainly look to get a set... am i correct in thinking the part number is DP31513C and i just need to buy 1 set(fronts) which has 8 pads?
I've got access to Volksmaster branches in and around Manchester area, might see what they will charge to fit a set... I'm not sure i can trust my RS wheels with some of the other garages i know haha

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I'll certainly look to get a set... am i correct in thinking the part number is DP31513C and i just need to buy 1 set(fronts) which has 8 pads?
I've got access to Volksmaster branches in and around Manchester area, might see what they will charge to fit a set... I'm not sure i can trust my RS wheels with some of the other garages i know haha

Perhaps you could update your signature file with the year and spec of your car and I'll check the catalogue for you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Perhaps you could update your signature file with the year and spec of your car and I'll check the catalogue for you.
No probs i'll update my signature... in the meantime, it 2014 (14) RSQ3 (310HP). Missano Red, Alcantara/leather, LED Light Pack, Bose, Pano roof, Hill Hold etc

·
Registered
2,315 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Yup..

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Had my Redstuffs put in this this morning by these guys http://thephirm.co.uk/, a really passionate bunch of guys. They insisted in drilling the old pad material out of each on the drilled holes in the discs - inside and outside faces - they don't line up, attention to detail at another level.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Long story - was going to get the AVC fitted there for the RS4 as they'd done another RS246 forum member's vehicle there - when then RS4 went and I cancelled they offered to do the same for the RSQ3 if I got the kit. It was a bit of trot to get there..yes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone, looks like I’m going to be reigniting an old flame here.

I’ve recently bought a 2015 RSQ3 in Daytona Grey, and unfortunately I’ve been suffering both the squealing squeaky brake issue followed by the resonance issue after some well spirited driving and perhaps getting the discs a little warm.

The car also has a wierd tinnie metallic rattle on idle that you can hear at low revs also.

Been into Audi Watford who say there’s nothing wrong at all and these are “normal sounds”, but are very happy to charge me again for additional/further diagnosis (but I thought you said there was nothing wrong with it!).

I noticed that some of the early posts for the squeaky brakes mention plates being installed on the callipers that solved the issue, i also noticed some had success with various repairs on the resonance issue and someone had referenced getting in touch with Damien at Camberly, which I have tried but he is no longer there and they claim they can see no info on these issues.

Is there anything you guys could tell me, any successful repairs, diagnosis, any Audi contacts or references that might help me.

Any and all help will be really appreciated.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Welcome to the world of RSQ3 ownership!

Redstuff disc pads will fix the squeaky brake issue - a set of front pads is around £200 (8 pads - 4 in each caliper).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

The pads I’ve seen about and this is in the plans for the next cycle, the resonance issue is more of the worry though and that’s where I’ve had more of the issue with Audi.

The issue is a well known one with the RSQ3 especially, and is well documented online, but there’s also a lot of people saying these “wavy” discs can only have up to 1mm wear which the Audi “Master Tech” laughed at and said you hear a lot online, which is true to a degree... hence why I was hoping to hear from anyone with any success on this resonance, in my case it is exactly like in the video posted but possibly worse and does disappear once all cools down or after a few minutes?!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

The pads I’ve seen about and this is in the plans for the next cycle, the resonance issue is more of the worry though and that’s where I’ve had more of the issue with Audi.

The issue is a well known one with the RSQ3 especially, and is well documented online, but there’s also a lot of people saying these “wavy” discs can only have up to 1mm wear which the Audi “Master Tech” laughed at and said you hear a lot online, which is true to a degree... hence why I was hoping to hear from anyone with any success on this resonance, in my case it is exactly like in the video posted but possibly worse and does disappear once all cools down or after a few minutes?!
The wavy discs can lose 1mm of each face (2mm total), it's what's stamped on the disc hubs and is in the service documentation. I'm on my second RSQ3 - both have run Redstuff pads, zero issues, very low disc wear with almost no dust plus total silence so really not much to not like. How many miles has your RS done and do you have significant lips on your front discs?

In your 1st post you asked about other service items - spark plugs every 20,000 miles? Around £200 a set fitted - only seem to be available from Audi - made by Beru. The RSQ3 is truly one of Audi's all time best kept secrets. Enjoy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi John,

This news on the wavy discs is so helpful, now I know where to dig it out I will do and will deco be throwing that in Audi’s face.

The part I didn’t mention is I bought the car used from a Mercedes dealer with 40k on the clock haven’t added more than 2k to it and it basically came with these issues, so now I have proof the discs as far as manufacturer are concerned seem to be worn beyond serviceable limits with quite a pronounced lip, once Audi agree to this I should hopefully be able to get Mercedes to foot the bill.

The resonance issue is still a huge worry tho and can’t get Audi to agree there is an issue at all, I noticed looking back again somewhere on the first page of this thread someone noted the issue being the callipers mounted to close to the shield which when heated caused the issue?!

Hopefully someone with more info on that issue or having had success in diagnosing and repairing it will pop up.

The servicing I don’t think was me, but I did recently have a full major service including plugs, filters, fluids and gearbox oil and filter at a cost of £690. So should be good for a little while. Might get her back in and have the piano roof service now where expecting such a cold winter and then an air con service in the spring which will bring the car serving fully up to date with all extras ticked off.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Regarding disc thickness, I think the new spec is 34mm and from the info above, the worn limit will be 32mm.
Often rust and scale build up on the outer edge of the disc makes them look more worn than they actually are so it's worth checking with calipers or a micrometer to verify the true thickness.
Apologies if you know this already

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Spike, helps greatly and checking the wheels your spot on, and your absolute right some of it is build up and I’m not using a measuring tool but I’ll get it checked.

An approved car follow a 6 million point health check to Mercedes standards should be the equivalent of Audi approved used... and at £25k I would not expect to be changing discs within two months of purchase (two months only because I’ve had to go this far to find the proof not having known!).

Do either of you suppose this loud resonance/vibration titanic parking horn sound coming from the front brakes issue has anything to do with the discs and pads do you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Cerberus, did you ever get anywhere with this? I tried Damien at Camberly who have now moved and Damien is no longer there and they haven’t the foggiest and obviously neither does my local Audi!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Spike is correct about the 34/32mm dimensions. The attached might help back it up if you need to.

My issue was more of a squeal, but I could get the droning sound if I really tried, by getting just the right pedal pressure at walking pace. My local Audi dealer couldn't fix it (or weren't capable/couldn't be ar$ed). I tried a new set of the latest revision Audi pads, with copious amounts of Ceratec compound, which helped for a short while, but it came back. The EBC Redstuffs cured it completely. I know that it isn't a solution Audi or Mercedes would use , but if you want to put the probem behind you, I suggest you give the Redstuffs a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Hi John,

This news on the wavy discs is so helpful, now I know where to dig it out I will do and will deco be throwing that in Audi’s face.

………...

The servicing I don’t think was me, but I did recently have a full major service including plugs, filters, fluids and gearbox oil and filter at a cost of £690. So should be good for a little while. Might get her back in and have the piano roof service now where expecting such a cold winter and then an air con service in the spring which will bring the car serving fully up to date with all extras ticked off.
Most welcome.

Did you change the oil in the Haldex too? It's something like every 3 years/40,000 miles.

The are quite a few reports across the various car forums where manufacturers have used a 5th generation Haldex to achieve part time 4 wheel drive (so our Q3s too) that the filter gets clogged with metallic swarf/paste. The filter is only accessible if pump is removed (should replace the 2 'O' rings if you do). There are suggestions that this ought to be done at 20,000 mile intervals - probably wise as the Haldex is activated frequently in an RS. I'm getting mine checked next Friday at 23k miles, I've requested photos. Interesting link here: https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/generation-5-haldex-fault-finding-repair-guide/

·
Registered
427 Posts
4th gen Haldex was the object of the contest. 5th gen from MY2015 (mid 2014 production) should be more reliable and lacks the filter cartridge.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts