Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Performance, Glacier White, C&S, Diamond Stitched Leather
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this in Newbies because, well I want to ask a real newbie question - and because there's no specific "Brakes" section of the Technical part of the site. Sorry if it should be under "Wheels etc..."

Background: I've done my reading on Pads and have ordered front and back EBC Redstuffs (Using code: NEWCUSTOMER15 from EBC Brakes Direct)

Also: I recently bought new front axle tires; and having curbed one of the front alloys, had that refurbed.

The alloy guy who came along owned an RS4 and we had a good chat about the Audi brand. I mentioned to him about the squeaking of the brakes and asked when he took the wheel off, to have a good look at the breaks.

He said that the squeak was most likely down to the cold weather (that I has assumed too) and all was fine. Odd thing was that he said nothing about the lip on the discs. I've been out today in the cold to measure it and the lip on both sides seems at 1mm at least after 19k miles. Rear discs are literally fine, except maybe this odd groove on the nearside.

So the question here is - I understand that new the brake discs have 2mm tolerance, but most people have advised changing at 30k miles or if the 1m lip is present: should I change the discs and could they be causing the squeak? or as the EBCs are top quality, I'll get 10k miles (and 1mm) more from the front discs without a worry?

My follow up, is there a warning or sensor on the discs - or just the pads? Could I just wait it out?

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
240 Posts
The squeaking comes from the pad compound in the oem pads, there's been many, many threads about this on other forums with dealers never coming up with a fix.......redstuff pads are a fix!
My discs were changed at 24.5k so yours should have a little life left in them but obviously depends how its been driven.
Its 1mm from each face or if you look at the discs, the inner "hole" isn't a hole its a wear indicator

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its 1mm from each face or if you look at the discs, the inner "hole" isn't a hole its a wear indicator
Ju to the rescue. Thanks mate.

I was assuming the holes were just partially filled with dust as I've a few inside and a few outer filled... Now it makes sense.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes sorry the holes are alternated to allow for uneven wear.
They're still good for now so the ebc pads should prolong the life for a bit longer (y)

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good - great news thanks for your help!

·
Registered
112 Posts
All good - great news thanks for your help!
Hi EasyTyler,been on the EBC site,can’t seem to find where to input the NEWCUSTOMER15 code,which I presume is 15%off. Any idea what I’m missing? Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, I've had a quick look and can't find it - but thought it was the second page of the checkout process....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting, I've had a quick look and can't find it - but thought it was the second page of the checkout process....
Thanks for having a look.....maybe it was an offer that’s expired? It’s a few months before my service is due,when I’d be getting my pads changed,I’ll keep checking,maybe they’ll run the offer again🤞🏻

·
Registered
89 Posts
EBC about two weeks ago joined the alphaowner.com forum offering members ten percent discount, I could ask do they want to do the same for us? or maybe a mod could contact them or you could try the alpha code? as it just says use code FORUM10USER

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought mats from eBay and they stink of smoke. So I'm cautious about buying from them anyway but the feel of confidence in buying the EBCs direct was worth a few extra quid IMHO.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got them on as of today. Few odd noises on the way home which I'm hoping is just bedding in. Driving up to Hemel Hempstead tomorrow for a V8 Vantage track day so I'll see how get on then....

Main squeak has gone ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Oh good stuff. There is a special coating on the pads - looks like the surface of a red brick - that helps the pads bed in, just drive normally - resist the temptation to try to accelerate the process. After about a 1000 miles the dust etc will disappear and any noises too, if you only drive around town it will likely take a little longer. Enjoy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh good stuff. There is a special coating on the pads - looks like the surface of a red brick - that helps the pads bed in, just drive normally - resist the temptation to try to accelerate the process. After about a 1000 miles the dust etc will disappear and any noises too, if you only drive around town it will likely take a little longer. Enjoy.
Thanks I shall try to enjoy! I did notice the polished discs at the front but will keep and eye out for red.. is that where they get their name from?? Red Stuff?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The pad compound is actually Red - there wasn't a massive leap in the product naming thought process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts