Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

RSQ3 8U STRONIC GEARBOX FILTER?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  manfrotto 
#1 ·
Hi guys wonder if you could help my 14 plate rsq3 is due its stronic service. Quick question my local Audi just quoted me 210 for a s tronic fluid change but they wont touch the filter. My indie has quoted 260 but they change the filter? Whats the best thing to do? Does it even have a filter? Thanks

#4 ·
Any chance you are referring to the Haldex service

Fairly sure the S.tronic filter is not officially part of the gearbox service

Cheers Spike

#6 ·
Sadly this is typical of Audi main dealers. for some arcane reason they seem to deny the existence of the Haldex filter and won't touch it unless you specifically insist they do, then they charge extra to either clean or replace the filter screen (depending on the specific Haldex model fitted). I suffered badly at their hands over this, needing a Haldex rebuild which they quoted a sky-high price for irrespective of the fact that it was caused by a blocked filter screen that they should have cleaned. I had it done at a local VAG indie who did it properly for half the price.

My advice to you is to steer well clear of the main dealer and find a good local VAG indie. Get it done there and all subsequent servicing. Borg Warner recommend an oil change and filter clean/replace every three years regardless of mileage according to my local indie.

#8 ·
It has a filter - item 11 on the parts list LLLParts

Audi do not class it as a service item so can't change it. Same scenario as the cartridge filter on early Haldex units.

As you have probably read, they don't clean the mesh screen on the Haldex pump either. If your Haldex service did not include this, as Gromit indicated, I'd highly recommend you get it done.
The screen blocks with a 'gel' oil residue and starves the pump, leading to early failure. Halving the Haldex oil service interval is also recommended

Cheers Spike

Reactions: RSQ3John
#10 ·
Re the S-Tronic filter, it is pretty hard to access, and to change it requires the removal of quite a few other components (I have done it on my car) , so can understand why the dealership don't do it routinely.

IIRC I think it is recommended to change it every second fluid change, but don't quote me on that.

Reactions: RSQ3John
#12 ·
A note of caution - If using an Indie make sure they use the correct VAG fluid for your Transmission. My sister had her (Subaru) transmission fluid changed by an Indie and they put the incorrect fluid in it, which subsequently caused the transmission to fail completely.

Reactions: Gromit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.