Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I hope you can help me with my RSQ3 (2014). I am getting a wobble when braking only. It tends to happen on the motorway. Discs and pads changed in June last year due to warped discs. Fitted with genuine TPS/Audi parts and then car didn't get used much due to lockdown. Manchester Audi wouldn't even let us book it in, even though TPS requested it to be checked and they would refund the money for the parts if faulty. Bolton Audi saw it in May this year and replaced the brake discs for free with a warranty. So, picked it up and all seemed good, until I went on the motorway a month later. Brake wobble when braking. Went on motorway yesterday and wobble is now happening when braking at less speed, even at 36 to 40 mph. The car doesn't get hammered and is used to commute mainly, which is 2 miles away from home in 30mph traffic! Wobble feels like the front end and through the steering. Apart from orginal discs, it have had 2 sets in 12 months and the problem is not going away. Any suggestion please?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I am way below being any use but could it be glazed pads?
If your brakes aren’t being used hard enough it could be causing issues.
When on holiday in the USA we frequently had to do some hard braking to stop the brakes getting useless and iffy and maybe your short journeys aren’t using them sufficiently..

I could be talking out of the back of my head but just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome.

I am way below being any use but could it be glazed pads?
If your brakes aren’t being used hard enough it could be causing issues.
When on holiday in the USA we frequently had to do some hard braking to stop the brakes getting useless and iffy and maybe your short journeys aren’t using them sufficiently..

I could be talking out of the back of my head but just a thought.
Hi, the brake discs were done on 8th May and I used the motorway on the way home, although I did drive carefully. 3 weeks later we went to Wales and the hubby drove (certainly not as careful) and he said it wasn't right then. Mid July and 4 x 1.5 hours on the motorway over a weekend and same again, braking at 90mph and I felt my teeth were going to rattle out! I had the wheels balanced just in case and no improvement. Pulling my hair out with it. Really starting to fall out of love with it and the hubby went straight to Porsche after we dropped it at Audi as he was convinced they wouldn't replace the parts under warranty, and if they wouldn't, it was gone, but they did. It's booked in for 30th September :(

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
From your description, assuming the discs are running true, then, bearing in mind the age of the RSQ3, I would look at the front bushes for wear.

Reactions: Gromit

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Welcome Elspeth!

1)We know that the 8U RSQ3 is susceptible to having the wheels knocked out of alignment - so you need to get a 4 wheel chassis alignment check done, both my 2015 and 2016 RSQ3s were badly misaligned for the rear wheels and that led to vibration at speed that was worse under braking You are thinking 'but the shaking is at the front...when you brake the load increases on the front axle and decreases at the rear, if the tyres are scrubbing (because they are not aligned correctly) it will shake the car.

2) It's possible that the replacement discs are not mounted square - so if rotated against a dial gauge there would be 'run-out', i.e. a wavy rotational pattern. A garage can check this for you.

2) The RSQ3 is a high performance vehicle, if you just drive it in town at 30 mph the disc pads will get a glazed surface and most likely squeak. You can offset the glazing by finding am empty piece of road and doing some hard braking from say 50 mph. As the RSQ3 discs are circa £600 a pair and the OEM disc pads wear them away quite rapidly/lip on the edge of the discs and lots of dust many of us have had EBC Redstuff pads fitted - negligible disc wear/little dust and better pedal feel, you might consider doing the same - around £200 a set (there are 4 pads in each caliper - hence the cost).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From your description, assuming the discs are running true, then, bearing in mind the age of the RSQ3, I would look at the front bushes for wear.
Hi, the discs aren't running true - again! Hubby had a dial guage on it this morning. Nothing seems obviously wrong with it, it has literally had new everything, including front bushes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome Elspeth!

1)We know that the 8U RSQ3 is susceptible to having the wheels knocked out of alignment - so you need to get a 4 wheel chassis alignment check done, both my 2015 and 2016 RSQ3s were badly misaligned for the rear wheels and that led to vibration at speed that was worse under braking You are thinking 'but the shaking is at the front...when you brake the load increases on the front axle and decreases at the rear, if the tyres are scrubbing (because they are not aligned correctly) it will shake the car.

2) It's possible that the replacement discs are not mounted square - so if rotated against a dial gauge there would be 'run-out', i.e. a wavy rotational pattern. A garage can check this for you.

2) The RSQ3 is a high performance vehicle, if you just drive it in town at 30 mph the disc pads will get a glazed surface and most likely squeak. You can offset the glazing by finding am empty piece of road and doing some hard braking from say 50 mph. As the RSQ3 discs are circa £600 a pair and the OEM disc pads wear them away quite rapidly/lip on the edge of the discs and lots of dust many of us have had EBC Redstuff pads fitted - negligible disc wear/little dust and better pedal feel, you might consider doing the same - around £200 a set (there are 4 pads in each caliper - hence the cost).
Hi, thanks. We put a dial gauge on it this morning and the findings were not good. No pad residue on the discs, they are spotless. No squeaking either. Drives like a dream by the breaking is just awful. It is doing it when breaking between 30-40 mph now, so not just 70mph plus.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
So if you have run out on the discs - its a real possibility that the discs have been incorrectly fitted, not bolted to the hubs and torqued up evenly or the hub flanges themselves where not clean. When there is excessive run-out the rotating discs slap the stationary pads in the calipers resulting in vibration. The excessive vibration you have been experiencing punishes suspension components such as bushes. On a RS you should eliminate the 4 wheel chassis alignment check too.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I've read than in very severe cases of 'kerbing' it's possible the side forces on the wheel can distort the disc mounting flange. While a replacement disc may initially run true, over time and many heat cycles it eventually distorts to match the shape of the mounting flange.
Checking the flange runout with the disc removed would confirm the theory either way

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read than in very severe cases of 'kerbing' it's possible the side forces on the wheel can distort the disc mounting flange. While a replacement disc may initially run true, over time and many heat cycles it eventually distorts to match the shape of the mounting flange.
Checking the flange runout with the disc removed would confirm the theory either way

Cheers Spike
[/QUOTE

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. You were right, there was a run out on the discs and flanges. We tested the flanges only and a run out test carried out and they too were out. Both flanges replaced. Original (Audi fit brake discs in May 2021) put back on as its booked back in with them for 30th September. It is still wobbling. Really not sure what the outcome will be.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
15 Posts
More woes with my 2019 Q3 40 Tdi Vorsprung. I had a new sunroof wind deflector fited earlier this year to fix leaks ( on the forum). Now had grinding noises from rear right hand wheel. Took it to dealer today and the piston has seized in the caliper. Thus I am now in a Loan Q5. The dealer ( main dealer) said it was not that common, but a mechanic I saw said they had seen 1 more on a Q3. Has anyone else had such a problem. I sue my car normally ( Idont rag it much!) and it has done 36k miles since I had it new 04/2019. Apparently they think it will be a warranty job ( I was quoted £440 for 2 new read discs and pads) thank goodness. CCalipers apprently are in short supply. I suggested last Thursday that it may need a new caliper ( I am no mechanic) and they ordered one but there is at least a weeks de,lay in getting it delivered. Makes me wonder if the calipers are not made as well as in the past. Would be interesed in other members observations.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I think you have just been unfortunate. There are companies who will disassemble the caliper, clean it then put it all back together. However, if it is under warranty, then I would just wait. Because this problem is very rare then they will not hold stock in the UK so it will have to come from Germany. In the past the delivery could happen overnight but you can thank Brexit for the delay.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
I believe the calipers are supplied by Continental - great track record with rubber maybe not so hot on braking components, we have them on the RS models too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts