Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys and gals,hope you are all well. I’ve finally got to the point where I can’t keep looking at the spread of white worm on my alloys. Ive been to a couple of wheel refurbishment places,who want anything between £400-£700 to refurb my 20” diamond cut rotors. However,both of them are trying to convince me to not go with the oem matt titanium finish,colour code issues have been used. That said,I want it to stay stock,so I’m hoping one of you may be able to help with the code. Thanks in advance,Jason.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Hi Jason

You need Ben from Wheels of Warwick - https://wheelsofwarwick.com/, he'll ask for photos of each wheel and then quote you. I think his own A7 has the same colour Rotors are yours.

If you can arrange something with him then you are welcome leave the car/use my garage for the job....I'll keep him in cups of tea!

Reactions: TheJam and -Ju-

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I found a website that gave a reference for my Q3 wheels that were peeling but it was hard work checking it was right.
Audi don’t sell wheel touch up paint, you have to go aftermarket. Crazy!
I’ll see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi David, and that is one of the reasons I always go for black wheels, Halfrauds Ford black touch up stick is just right, canny Scot.

Mike

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My 130i also had peeling wheel paint so I chose a very dark Toyota anthracite with multicoloured metalflake and they looked gorgeous. They effectively sold the car for me as a few other people offered to swap the wheels for standard ones but the buyer loved them.

I did the Q3 in gloss black but, in hindsight, I didn’t like them 100%.
Aren’t there more shades of black than any other colour…or an urban myth.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
I'm not sure about more, certainly when I was in the trade and managing a bodyshop back in the 80s we knew of over 20 shades of black.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I am curious. Why do wheels flake? I have never had this happen to me over 39 years of Audi ownership.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It has only ever been the colour coat. The base primer has always been fine.
Not cleaned enough before spraying?
Never impact related unless an invisible stone chip. Once it was going you could just carry on peeling. Only the Beemer and Q3. My wife’s 18 year old Mini’s wheels are fine, apart from one tiny stone chip on a spoke a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Most likely the paint flaking is initiated because the wheels are an aluminium alloy so you'd only need a microscopic pin-prick through the paint layer for water moisture to get in a start the corrosion process which breaks the paint's bond with the surface. On the Rotors there are turned-brushed aluminium surfaces which are lacquered and same pin-prick hole through the lacquer starts the dreaded white-worm effect.

Curiously, the brushed aluminium effect can be sprayed on as a paint finish - indistinguishable from the original when wheels are repaired professionally.

Reactions: TheJam and Q3 Dave

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I have just purchased an electron microscope.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Jason

You need Ben from Wheels of Warwick - https://wheelsofwarwick.com/, he'll ask for photos of each wheel and then quote you. I think his own A7 has the same colour Rotors are yours.

If you can arrange something with him then you are welcome leave the car/use my garage for the job....I'll keep him in cups of tea!
Hi John,sorry for the late reply,left my phone at work & had a few days off. That is an amazing offer John,really! Are you sure? Don’t want to inconvenience you. I will have to get in touch with Ben,this sounds like a perfect solution,I know you have said previously he had repaired an alloy on your Performance if I recall. After reading your other post,regarding the painted “diamond cut” look,I think this could well be the best option,especially for longevity. Thanks again,I’m very grateful for your kind offer.

Reactions: Menace and RSQ3John
1 - 11 of 11 Posts