Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new to the forum, so, firstly, "hello"!
I just wondered if anyone might be able to offer some advice on a couple of concerns I have pre-ordering.
I'm looking at a Q3 2.0 TD SE S-tronic (17, quattro) via the Motability scheme.
My local dealer is unable to find this model to test drive - in fact they can't find any SE vehicles running on standard wheels.
I've been in a Q3 running on 19inch rims with low profile tyres, and the ride on back roads was pretty harsh - so my first question is whether the ride on standard 17" rims with regular tyres will be much better (my guess is that it would be significantly more comfortable...)?
Secondly, are the vibration issues (and thank you, forum, for flagging these!) known to affect the vehicle I have in mind, or do they only affect those with a larger wheel set-up?
Any input very much appreciated!Regards, J.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hello and welcome

I have the standard 17's on mine and the ride is very smooth. I came from a car with low profile tyres and big wheels, never again.
Ride comfort is a really personal thing however, only by test driving can you really decide what's best for you. I would find another dealer as i don't believe they can't find any cars. There's loads of them around the dealer network, are they trying to sell you a stock car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - many thanks for the info. Not a stock car, the lead time is suggested at about 12 weeks, which suits my timing with respect Motability roll-over date. I'm in Essex, and none of the regional dealers have a car, neither a demonstrator nor a second-hand vehicle running the 17" wheels! The 'reason' given is that the demand for s-line cars is much higher so they tend to run those instead. Therefore, I'm having trouble even getting a ride in a standard SE vehicle of any engine/'box configuration.....
Is the vibration issue one that has been experienced at all on a 17" vehicle?
Regards, J.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Simple car physics mean the 17's will be more comfortable, then the se suspension will help lots.

The reviews online say the q3 has the most comfortable ride of any new audi in a long time.

I didn't like the ride in an s line, however we ordered an se, plus the led light package, tints, and full colour co ordination in metallic white

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love the ride with 18's and Sline suspension, much sportier but still comfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback - the only vehicle on our radar is the se spec as that is on the motability list (automatic is one of our fixed requirements).I've spoken with Audi UK (very pleasant and helpful) and the only Q3 SE demonstrators available with standard wheels are at Worthing and Swindon... so that's a minimum 4hr round trip for us!!I appreciate that the s-line is the better seller and that most demonstrators will be that spec, but, nonetheless, does seem crazy that there are only two standard wheeled SE's in the country!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nb maximising ride comfort is our key criteria... look/sportiness not relevant to our needs etc...cheers

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If maximum ride comfort is what you're after then you can't get anything more to your needs than the standard setup.

The s_line doesn't come with sporty suspension as standard so test one of them and if your happy then you'll be even happier with the smaller wheels

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good point - if the 18" on standard set-up is ok, then job done..... if not, then I'll either take a punt or find an excuse for a jolly Brighton way....
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,028 Posts
I had to make do with a test-drive in an S-Line with standard suspension, although I wanted an SE - the ride was much more comfortable than I'd been led to believe, so given that the SE is purportedly even more comfortable I ordered an SE on the strength of it.

I think it's a bit short-sighted on the part of the Audi dealers never to have an SE demonstrator though. I live in Kent and had the same problem as you. My test-drive was all compromise - I wanted an SE petrol automatic and had to settle for a drive in an S-Line diesel manual.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe Milton Keynes Audi has an SE demonstrator, I didn't go out in it, but the sales person was using the SE.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got to confirm we have exacting ride quality requirements and we were pleasantly surprised with the ride quality of the s line on standard suspension. I've no doubt the se on 17" wheels will better again. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I had the exact opposite as you gromit, i test drove an s-line auto and i wanted an se manual. That was a year ago, the one in the showroom was exactly what i wanted but was missing some options i needed. Good luck with the test drive, i'm sure you'll have no complaints
Edited by: reilsab

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to second the above comments. Birmingham Audi found me an SE 17 Manual demonstrator because it was exactly the ride issue I wanted to test.
I am very pleased with the ride (previous car was an A6 SE) and also, given the roads around here, enjoy having to be slightly less paranoid about every pothole.
I dont know about everybody else but I also find the that the firmer the suspension, the harder I drive a car and the more points I seem to collect. So my policy now is that the daily drive is spec'd to encourage me to chill, and save the excitement for the weekend toy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input - much appreciated. I've set-up a test drive on an S-line on the back of the advice here, many thanks.
Am I right in assuming that the vibration issue is not one that has affected the 177 se quattro diesel on 17" rims?Regards,j.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hi J,
I'm not aware of any vibration issues on the se models with standard setup, a few members on here report Audi have the issue for new s-line factory vehicles resolved but time will tell.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think you will be very happy with the ride on 17" rims, my S Line came standard with SE suspension with the option to switch to S Line suspension at no cost. I didn't switch and even on 18" rims the ride is excellent and it corners well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have SE 2.0TDI Quattro with standard 17in wheels. Ride is excellent even over the potholes of Derbyshire.No vibrations, but only tested up to 85mph so far.

Edited by: BrianJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife has a 2.0 TDI S-Line S-Tronic with standard suspension on 19 inch wheels and has no problems ride wise. In fact she continually says how smooth it is. I wouldn't believe everyone who says that the S-Line ride is too firm until you try it.
Mind you, she came from a CR-V - the suspension on that was like a wooden cart in comparison...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts