Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting from cold recently, the Q3 has been reluctant to start immediately and a bit sluggish driving before it warms up.

We are using heated seats again in the colder weather now, no doubt putting greater demand on the battery.

I took the Q3 to the local dealer who tested the battery and said the battery needs replacing; and as it's an AGM type battery, it will cost £220 battery and £141 fitting and coding! Ouch!

I will firstly get a price from the local independent Audi repair shop; but I also want to ensure that it is the battery and not the alternator for instance. The Q3 (and battery) is just 4 years old. Any suggestions or similar experience on replacement timescale? Likely will just have to get a new battery and spend £300+

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
https://www.bannerbatterien.com/en-gb/Support/FAQ

About 20 questions down this FAQ list have a read of this Q and A -

''Can I install a Banner battery (without a BEM code) in my Audi''

I'm not suggesting you buy one but it explains the importance of replacing an AGM battery like for like and the need for coding the new battery.

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good bit of info that spike.............. Im driving my first audi and absolutley love it.However im begining to feel as if audi are stitching owners up to use audi for all aftersale sevices which i am finding a little manipulative and may in the long term be annoying.The fact that theres no service package option untill car is three years old is a good example.Dont get me wrong i love my car and going nowhere soon.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have installed a Varta E36 AGM 70Ah battery on my Q3 and coded it, everything works ok. In my car, to code battery you only need to register the Ah of the battery, the Brand and the serial number, so it's easy to code with VCDS, cost in Greece was 110 euro, about 100GBP converted

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have installed a Varta E36 AGM 70Ah battery on my Q3 and coded it, everything works ok. In my car, to code battery you only need to register the Ah of the battery, the Brand and the serial number, so it's easy to code with VCDS, cost in Greece was 110 euro, about 100GBP converted

Kostas - So all the smarts are in the car (and programable via VCDS), and the battery is pretty standard ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Kostas - So all the smarts are in the car (and programable via VCDS), and the battery is pretty standard ?
Yes, programmable with VCDS, on module 19-Can Gateway, go to Adaptation channel 04, and there is a code 070 VAO XXXXXXXXXX, where 070 is the battery Ampere (70Ah), VAO is the code for VARTA Batteries (VCDS will show you all manufacturer's code) and XXXXXXXXXX is the battery part number, you can leave the same as factory, I changed one digit to be sure that Battery monitor unit will reset and be setup for my battery's new Amperes. After all save adaptation and all is done

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I've just replaced my battery and followed the VCDS procedure outlined by Kostas. I did try and use an abbreviated version of the part number on the new battery but on the first attempt I got an error message so reverted to the original Audi number and changed the last digit. Only other heart stopping moment was when I started the car and got an 'ABS' warning light. Apparently this is normal and it cleared once the car was driven above the 15mph (I think) threshold.

The actual VARTA battery model I used was E39. They also list a larger F21 version for the Q3 but it was too large to fit in the battery tray (engine bay mounted on my 2012 car)
https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/battery-finder?type=pc&year=2012&make=5&model=9731&engine=59273&etn=580+901+080|570+901+076|&rec_etn=570+901+076|&ss_etn=580+901+080|570+901+076|&literal_search={"type":"Passenger+Car","year":"2012","make":"AUDI","model":"Q3+(8UB,+8UG)","engine":"2.0+TDI+(130+kW+/+177+PS)"}
Not sure if it was required but I fully charged the battery before fitting. I also used a slave battery to avoid loosing the radio settings etc (but still got the ABS fault)

This Yuasa battery fitting guide may also be helpful, particularly on the procedure for re-connecting the earth terminal where the integrated battery condition monitor is unplugged first - https://batterylookupgb.yuasa.co.uk/workshop/lookup/instructions/?engine=2.0+TDI+177+quattro&fuel=Diesel&group=0&lookup_type=car&make=Audi&model=Q3&product=2202&year=2012

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Spudatus,
Many years ago I worked for an Exide agent in the UK (Now in Canada), and I knew then batteries were expensive but that's crazy.
I had a new battery fitted to my 2015 Q3 under warrant, pricing here for a replacement Audi battery was $161.00, plus the testing it would have cost me total of $231.00, in UK money that would be about 150.00 pounds I believe.
I hope this never made it worse.
Brian

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys, so my 2016 Q3 struggled to start the other day after 2 weeks in the garage so I've been looking into the battery. I have a VAG 401 (poor man's VCDS) and ran the readings in module 19 per Spike's advice.

Data below (2 days after a long drive), doesn't look great to me particularly the load figures (found an explanation of each here) so I am going to order a Varta E39 for £130 odd and install it.

I couldn't access adaption channel 4 when I went to look if I could code the new battery but then in the special menu on the VAG 401 is a battery pairing option which takes you into a page where you can set battery model, capacity and serial so looks like I can set it that way.

IMG_2824.JPEG IMG_2825.JPEG IMG_2826.JPEG

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep changed in half an hour and no problems with the recode on the VAG 401.

Remove cover, undo clamp middle left, undo terminals neg first, battery out, new battery in, redo clamp middle left, connect terminals pos first, lid back on, recode.
13A777F8-B4CA-4E7B-90E2-B00DAED141BA.jpeg E9B36E4E-AAE1-4E0F-A67A-0ED8CB313ED4.jpeg D6FFC395-7E60-4A4F-A82B-5BFBCC3A40F4.jpeg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts