Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
2012 Audi Q3 S Line TFSI Quattro
Discussion Starter #22
You're fine . . . I figured that's what you meant. Got the first eBay response . . . . he refuses to sell them separately and says that I'm not the first to ask! Seems to be a common theme!

Registered
That link I have posted is different to what I viewed don鈥檛 know why, I googled soft top fixings for tonneau if you do this then go down to that site what I was on about comes up fine there鈥檚 two pages.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
I reckon so as 1 of mine was on the verge of falling out when I got the car last month.
Lucky you caught it in time Menace ... I鈥檓 REALLY struggling to get mine replaced without buying the whole trim .... glue the little monster in place!!

Registered
I did a quick google for "ball head stud" and got heaps of results. It looks like they are actually relatively common, but you will need to get the measurements for a match.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
I did a quick google for "ball head stud" and got heaps of results. It looks like they are actually relatively common, but you will need to get the measurements for a match.
Thank you, yes I saw that myself too. As you say, correct measurements are the tricky thing - but I'm also perplexed by potentially being forced to 'make do and mend' . . . . on the other hand, perhaps I'm just being picky in wanting the correct & original part, which shouldn't be this difficult after all. The search will continue . . . . . but not for much longer, this is becoming an obsession and I'm reaching breaking point. Plus, the good lady is wondering what I'm doing all day and I can't tell her that I'm looking for a stud!

Super Moderator
Er...no. Mind you, it's better than her telling you she's looking for a stud...

I'll get me coat. ;)

Reactions: RSQ3John and Menace

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Hello to all who are still following this post.

I've been obsessively searching for one of these little ball pin studs now for about ten days and have come up with nothing, nada, zilch. I've been everywhere I can think of, from Audi to breakers and independent garages, internet searches and dozens of phone calls and emails. I cannot find anyone who is selling them as an individual item - new or used. Those who have them are those which are still attached to the tailgate trim and, having spoken to most of those I could find, not a single one was prepared to remove the studs and sell them as separate items. It may well be possible to find an alternative to use as a replacement, but the logistics in terms of measurements and try-outs will take more time to resolve than I am now prepared to give. Besides, my car deserves better than a make do.

So, I have therefore bitten the bullet and bought a second hand tailgate trim with the studs in place. I will remove the studs, put one in the car to replace the lost one and keep the other under lock and key. Then I'll either try to sell the trim on sans studs to recover some of the money (拢36), or, failing that, throw it into a cob-webby corner of the garage where it will stay forever as an annoying reminder.

I would like to thank each of you on this excellent forum for all your help, advice and contributions. I'm very glad I looked in on you all.

Kind regards, and stay under the radar!

Andy (Peelwalls)

Registered
Glad your sorted mate 拢36 isn鈥檛 bad and if you put the trim up cheap enough after stud removal I am sure it will go,

Registered
Well done on sorting the problem. Audi should have still sold you a pair of studs separately.

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Well done on sorting the problem. Audi should have still sold you a pair of studs separately.
You would have thought wouldn鈥檛 you!? I tried three different Audi parts centres to see if they would do that. Nope .... All a bit too jobsworth me thinks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Hi all,
one last post on this issue. I received my (pretty good nick) trim today, studs intact. It turns out that the studs are in fact plastic and not steel as I previously suggested. They probably cost about 2p. Still, my shockingly expensive replacement works (with belt and braces safety glue) and my parcel shelf is now firmly in place . . . . . here ends the lesson.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts