Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Audi Q3 S Line TFSI Quattro
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all . . . . . I'm new here so I hope someone can help me out. One of the little ball stud screws which support the rear parcel shelf has unscrewed itself and disappeared. Needless to say the parcel shelf won't stay there. Audi tell me that the studs required, (8UO867973/4PK), come with the whole tailgate trim section and cannot be bought from them separately. So to get a small part which costs a few quid, I need to shell out lashings of cash for the whole trim piece. I've tried car breakers, but they seem to be either in short supply or the breaker wants to play the same game. Does anyone know where I can get one of these ball studs without having to buy a load of trim I don't need? Any guidance here will be gratefully accepted.

Audi Q3 S Line TFSI Quattro

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Welcome to the club Peelwalls...thanks for creating a signature file! Could you add a year to it please?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ... glad to be with you!! Yes, apologies, it’s a 2012.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is this the part you require? : Looks like an individual part to me !
1616622179225.png

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that one ... thanks for taking the time to look for me. The plan needs to be of the tailgate itself. These wee studs screw into the inside of the tailgate trim, one on each side of the glass on the vertical pillars. The luggage cover slots onto the studs to hold it in place.
This is the left stud on the open tailgate.

I’ve checked the Audi part number and it appears to be correct. Thanks again for your time ... hope this helps identify the little monster! This is the missing one on the other side!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this the part you require? : Looks like an individual part to me ! View attachment 2248
View attachment 2248
Yep ... that’s the boy. Audi assure me you can only get it as part of the tailgate trim. I’ll try again using that part number highlighted to see what they say. Thank you so much for the trouble you’ve gone to ... I’ll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Further to my last, I think the part reference I gave you is for the tailgate trim, part of which, Audi say, are the studs.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Sorry to say manfrotto's parts reference is actually the illustration number for this parts diagm (item 23)
- rear lid trim panel - Audi Q3(AQ3) [EUROPA 2012 year] (7zap.com)
As Audi indicated, it's not available as an individual part
Do you know any friendly model engineers who could knock you one up on a lathe

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ah yes - my bad. Spike is correct.

I guess if it is plastic it could be made on a 3D printer? Stupid that Audi do not supply it as an individual part.

Reactions: spike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good morning to you all and thank you so much for your kind responses to my dilemma.

It’s a steel pin and theoretically it could be made, but practically I suspect not, (and why should you have to anyway?). I think the way forward is to either be lucky and find a spare that someone has sitting in a garage drawer somewhere, or fork out for a second hand trim as RSQ3John suggests and harvest one from there. Still very round the houses and uneconomic for a wee nut!

It’s a bit frustrating when there’s someone sitting at Audi with a gigantic box of these and idly screwing them into the trim. Why you therefore have to buy the trim too is a mystery to me .... and a bit consumer unfriendly.

Thanks again to you all for being kind enough to try and help me with this. If there’s anyone out there with one of these ball pins which is surplus to their needs, please drop me a line, (and we’ll done, they’re as rare as hens teeth). Otherwise I’ll soon be selling a Q3 tailgate trim with the shelf pins removed!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Peelwalls, a thought, have you asked an Indy, might have something lying about, you never know, and they tend to be more customer friendly than your local stealer.

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peelwalls, a thought, have you asked an Indy, might have something lying about, you never know, and they tend to be more customer friendly than your local stealer.

Mike
Thanks Mike ... I’ll give it a try. I’ve got a free day and I might get lucky. I already have an all parts bulletin active through the nation’s breakers, but they’re on to the ploy. They want to sell the trim with the studs too ... and for not much less £ than Audi!

Is it just me, or has nobody else ever had a shelf stud come undone? I’m beginning to feel lonely.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Mike's idea is a good one. Small trim parts like this are often common to many different vehicles and an indy is just the sort of operation to say "Waidaminit, I recognise that - they also use them on x,y,z etc..." not only in the VAG group but possibly other manufacturers' vehicles too. Back in the mists of time I have worked in the parts operations of Ford, Vauxhall and Jaguar and it's surprising how many parts I'd recognise common to all three.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gromit . . . . and Mike . . . . thank you. Wise words indeed. I'll certainly spend time today phoning/emailing about to see what I can find. It's going to be a long day . . . . I'll keep this post updated.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
One option I'd consider is to contact the ebay seller John spotted and say you only want the studs. Even if you paid the asking price for the trim, postage costs for just the studs should be more palatable, and you'll have a spare.

If you think Audi parts are a rip off, check out some of the prices the Peugeot group charge for small plastic trim (towards the end of the video) - OEM car part prices in the UK. MG is quite a surprise. - YouTube

Cheers Spike

Reactions: Gromit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Spike. This had occurred to me . . . and is a comparatively decent option which I'll explore further I think. As for the parts prices demonstrated in the link . . . . OUCH!! Point taken . . . .

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would be offering a tenner plus postage to the EBay seller pointing out if he removes the two it doesn’t look odd and someone wanting the actual trim if there’s is damaged will have the bolts on there original one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would be offering a tenner plus postage to the EBay seller pointing out if he removes the two it doesn’t look odd and someone wanting the actual trim if there’s is damaged will have the bolts on there original one.
Thank you Mr c . . . . You make a valid point and that's probably the right approach. I note that a couple of those trims for sale on eBay already have the studs removed. I've dropped a few lines out there and am waiting for responses. Watch this space . . . . and thanks again!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts