Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
followed "s"line q3 in ipswich today..when the driver braked or used indicators the lights in the rear bumpers also light up showing brake lights or indicating has anyone the same?looked very impressive.my"s" does not have this function or should it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i thought the lights in the bumper only came into use when the tailgate was open,when the rear lights mounted on the tailgate may not be visible. perhaps the tail gate on the car you saw was not closed, or the sensor which stopsthe bumper lightsworking when the boot is closed was faulty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the q3 was infront of me in traffic,boot looked closed.the lights in bumper worked perfect sync with indicators and break lights on rest of car..it made the rear of the car look very safe.with extra lights

·
Registered
613 Posts
Maybe it's a Model Year 2014 enhancement :)

·
Super Moderator
1,755 Posts
Or 'activated' by VCDS?

Edit: asked my Friend (Audi Salesman), knows nothing about what is mentioned above. Only explanation he has are: tailgate not proper closed, short circuit?
Edited by: audidriver4ever

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too have seen Q3's where the lower bumper rear lights work at the same time as the normal rear lights....I read in the Q3 Learning pack that is issued to technicians that these are controled by the control unit JS19......does anyone know if this can perhaps be altered to make them work in normal driving with boot closed (!)

·
Registered
192 Posts
You could be
stopped by the Police and could get a ticket and also a fail at mot time, for having more
than 1 set of lights at the rear of the car.

Years ago some
Land Rover Freelander and Mitsubishi Shogun had 2 sets of light.1
setin the bumper and 1 set near the tailgate/body area

To rectify the
solution Land Rover and Mitsubishi had to move the lights around a little and
had to put blanks or change the clusters to comply with the law.

Perhaps the Q3 you
saw had owners who had a VCDS cable and software and changed settings in a control module or switched it off or just
unplugged it

CANBUS wiring not
easy for us to mess with it

</font>

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have seen many Q3'sahead of me whilst driving, and have never seenany where any of the lower lights came on whilst driving, or braking.

Can only assume the one you saw was either a malfunction or a software mod

·
Registered
485 Posts
A Q3 passed in front of me at a roundabout and I followed it for 1/2 mile. The lights in the bumper came on at the same time as the other 3 brake lights. I took particular interest as this has been mentioned on here for some time and it was the first one I had seen doing this.

·
Registered
405 Posts
There is a little plastic thing on the left side of the lock, you can see it without removing trim. If it goes off it's position, bumper tail lights lit all time, as it happened to mine, fixed it

·
Registered
4 Posts
kostas-k said:
There is a little plastic thing on the left side of the lock, you can see it without removing trim. If it goes off it's position, bumper tail lights lit all time, as it happened to mine, fixed it
Hello,Dear kostas,Can You sent picture of this things?I also have a problem with double lights...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I suspect Kostas was referring to the sensor under the small boot lockhinged flap on the bottom lip of the tailgate opening. If the retaining tab is not secure the sensor can probably move out of alignment and won't activate when the tailgate is closed.The function is explained here -

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
To me, the pics don't quite make clear what is going on or how your rear indicators and lights operate with boot lid both open and shut, whencompared to the functiondescription above.

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
4 Posts
spike said:
To me, the pics don't quite make clear what is going on or how your rear indicators and lights operate with boot lid both open and shut, whencompared to the functiondescription above.

Cheers Spike
Hello,The problem is that trunk is closed and bump turns signals and LED blink together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,I have a similar problem with my Audi Q3 but in my car are the tail lights always off and the lights in the bumper always on. I have seen a lot of topics about it and mostly is the Hall sensor in a wrong place or the micro-switches in the lock in the tailgate are damaged. I have checked both. The Hall sensor has on one wire a 12VDCPWM signal (period 20ms, duty cycle 40%). I suppose this is the PWM generated by the Control Unit - it doesn't change with the sensors position. On the second cable is a similar PWM signal (period 20ms, duty cycle 40%) but with max voltage 2.5VDC when the tailgate is open. When the tailgate is closed, the PWM gets down to about 0.5VDC.I have checked also the lock. When the tailgates lock is open, pins from micro-switches are shorted together (grounded). When the tailgates lock is closed, both micro-switches are not shorted. I have checked it in an other car and it seems it's a proper behavior. I have also analyzed the picture that Spike showed us and to be sure about the timing, I have assembled all together, checked the signal from the Hall sensor and powered off the car (I have also disconnected the Control unit). After connecting all back together the car should see the signal from the tailgates lock and the Hall sensor in the same time but it didn't work.Is there an option that it's somewhere saved in the Control Unit that the bumper lights should be always on and the tailgate lights always off? Am I able to change this using VCDS?I have also replaced the Control Unit with an other one but without any success.What is also interesting, when I press the brake pedal, the stop light on the tailgate lights up a little. I have measured this also and the light goes on every time for about 20ms (correct voltage - 12VDC). I have no idea what else I can check and what else can be damaged. Please help.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I think you have probably done more research than any UK owners so our Forum is unlikely to be able to assist.I'm no electronics expert but thought a Hall sensor needs a corresponding magnetto work -and logically it would be in thetailgate lock. That's the theory, but I can't find any info to indicate there is a magnet (conventional or electro) in there

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Spike,
thank you for your fast and kind reply. Of course you're absolutely right. Are you able to show me how the sensor should be mounted in the plastic cover and how the lock looks like from the sensor side? Maybe there is something missing in my car.
Thank you for your support.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Sorry, I've got no details of the lock or sensor but I did have a 'play' with the tailgate lock on my car.First I used a small metal strip to check around the plastic lock cover for a permanent magnet and there was none. With the lights on and the tailgate open I did the same test - and no signs of an energised electro magnet. Then I checked to see how quickly the bumper lights come on -and the changover happens as soon as the handle is pulled and the tailgate springs up a few mm. Unfortunately this means it's not possible to check how the hall sensor magnet functions.Re- reading the 'activation process' summary above, another theory is that if one of the alarm microswitches is sticking, this may screw up the time lage sequence and prevent the tail lights activating correctly.No guarantees it will work but I'd be tempted to replace the boot lock and see what happens, then possibly cut one open to understand how it works and find that pesky hall sensor magnet

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Spike,
thank you for your help and reply. So... I did also some tests today. There are two wires going out from Hall sensor to the Control Unit. I have tried to put a small magnet on the sensor and analyzed the outgoing PWM signal. It seems that there is no difference if you put near the sensor a magnet or just the frame of the car - the signal changes every time in the same way from max voltage 2.5VDC to about 0.5VDC. The magnet changes only the distance between the sensor. In case of the frame the sensor has to be quite near the frame and in case of using the magnet, the distance may be larger. I have checked also the signal on the Control Unit PCB and the signal is going there without any important noises.Also what I think is, that the Control Unit is triggering / checking the whole system 5 times per second (every 20ms).A couple of days ago I bought a second lock and have disassembled it. There are two micro-switches inside. One is used as normally on and the second is used as normally off. I think the micro-switches in my lock are ok. Before disassembling I have checked also this second lock in my car without any results.I'm also wondering if there is a relay that gives voltage to lights in the bumper. Maybe this relay is shorted and that's why the lights in the tail gate are not lighting longer then 20ms (till the control unit check the status of the bumper light). Spike, what do you think about it?
Best regards,Chrystian

1 - 20 of 30 Posts