Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. The rear brake discs on my 2017 auto are badly scored. It's only done 14800 miles most of that on th he motorway.Its due its 2yr inspection shortly. I would have expected at least 30000 miles out of these, my wife's Merc has over 50000 miles and still on original discs.Am I expecting too much or is 15000 miles normal. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
158 Posts
Same for me,. 2 year service and rear discs were replaced. I was not impressed at the quality of components in a ' quality ' car. Mileage was about the same as yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems that this is the case for most of the brand's across the vag range, we used to get it a lot with seat and Skoda, It was always the inner face of the disc which would be heavily corroded. I was led to believe it was the way the backing plates behind the discs were designed, keeping too much heat in or cooling down to quick, one of the two. Not sure if it's the same case right across the board or how much truth is in it but it's the best explanation iv been given.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same for me,. 2 year service and rear discs were replaced. I was not impressed at the quality of components in a ' quality ' car. Mileage was about the same as yours.

Just noticed mine are the same at 14500, did you get them replace under warranty? I have booked in for a safety check this week but when I said about the warranty they said it would not be covered.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My car is a 2013 with original disks all round and 34k miles. Not scored. So I don’t why younger vehicles are showing such wear unless the new cars disk quality is less?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think 15000 miles is really low for a pair of discs but not an expert. Have you taken any pictures of the scoring? Is it a circle or concentric circles, or something else?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think 15000 miles is really low for a pair of discs but not an expert. Have you taken any pictures of the scoring? Is it a circle or concentric circles, or something else?

So do I and this is what I said over the phone to the dealer, They are concentric circles but not both sides of the disk one is on the outside the other is on the inside so I have only felt these.

Will see what they say tomorrow and update here.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I remember having to replace my rear discs at under 3 years old on my 2013 MY as they had corroded to the point of being dangerous. For some reason Audi dont seem to be purchasing quality discs anymore. Not had the same problem on previous Audis.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The dealer had the car in yesterday for a safety check and said the brakes were perfectly OK and in their words nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well been in for 2yr check today Guess what 14900 miles rear discs replaced.They are pitted (due to water corrosion) according to Wakefield Audi.They told me to ring Audi UK so I did. Audi UK asked why I was ringing them and not Wakefield Audi so I explained I was doing what I was told Anyway I got 200 pound knocked off but it still cost 524 pound for inspection and discs.Tomorrow I'm going to E Mail Audi UK probably wont do any good but will make me feel better Vorsprung durch technik my arxx

·
Registered
Mk2 45 TSFI quattro, Chronos Grey
5 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the Forum. I had a B8.5 A4 and it had superb brakes - really good feel and no scoring. For lower-back reasons, I PX'd it for an ex-demo Mk2 Q3 45TSFI. Ever since I've had it from mid-2019, the discs have rusted up more easily than any car I've had and always made that rusty noise... and the rears are now badly scored. My local dealers have brushed me off and so have Audi Uk by email. I'm really surprised that VW AG (VW Aktiengesellschaft, of course - not Audi Group) have let this continue from the Mk1 to the Mk2... and wonder does it affect the many cars built on the MQB platform. The fronts are totally fine.

Does anybody have advice on this? I'd like to get my rear discs changed under warranty. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the Forum. I had a B8.5 A4 and it had superb brakes - really good feel and no scoring. For lower-back reasons, I PX'd it for an ex-demo Mk2 Q3 45TSFI. Ever since I've had it from mid-2019, the discs have rusted up more easily than any car I've had and always made that rusty noise... and the rears are now badly scored. My local dealers have brushed me off and so have Audi Uk by email. I'm really surprised that VW AG (VW Aktiengesellschaft, of course - not Audi Group) have let this continue from the Mk1 to the Mk2... and wonder does it affect the many cars built on the MQB platform. The fronts are totally fine.

Does anybody have advice on this? I'd like to get my rear discs changed under warranty. Thanks.
Interesting to read your post. I too had the same problem last March when the car was only 3 months old with less than 3000 miles on the clock (purchased January 2020). It had developed during the first lockdown and whilst the car wasn't being driven so much it was nevertheless still being used. Firm braking produced a loud rumbling noise which increased as pressure on the pedal increased. I actually thought was a bearing from the severity of the noise.

Anyways left into the dealer and they diagnosed as rusty discs. Gave me a call to say they had cleaned them and all was ok. However on collection and driving home the noise was still clearly there and returned again to the dealers where they accepted problem not resolved. The rear discs were replaced under warranty and since then have had no further problems under similar driving conditions. They do still get a coating of rust if car left sitting but this clears quickly after a short distance.

Maybe I was lucky because of my low mileage but all the best with sorting the issue.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The brake discs need looking after properly. When I wash the car I spray the discs with alloy wheel cleaner then attack them with a high pressure washer. Once I have leathered the car I then dry the discs off with a hair dryer. In 37 years of Audi ownership I have never had any disc problems and I have never had any discs replaced. I am not a high mileage driver but in 37 years I have done approximately 500K miles.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
After I've washed the car, but pre-dry and drive the car at low speed around the estate - maybe a mile. That's enough to dry the discs - also gets the gunge out of the disc vents - ready for cleaning the wheel inner faces....OTT of course :)

·
Registered
Mk2 45 TSFI quattro, Chronos Grey
5 Posts
Blimey, I didn't know they needed all that care, but as I take (took, pre-LD) it to the hand car wash, I drive it home which dries them anyway. But I've never had this issue any other car, out of lots of brands.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I don't know why it occurs but I have a solution to the problem. I have neighbours with BMW's and Mercedes SUV's and they all had problems with the discs which were resolved when they followed my cleaning regime.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The real culprit is the caliper design - manufacturers use single piston sliding calipers, even the RS has them at the back - made by Continental (as in tyres), not one of the automotive industry's finest moments - cheap and cheerful at best.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My car has only covered 200 miles from new and I’m seeing marks on the rear disks. You can also feel these when you run your hands over them. I don’t ever recall seeing this on a new car before. Would welcome your thoughts

·
Registered
818 Posts
I assume that this occurs equally on both rear discs and not on the front ones.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts