Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Tom and this is my first post, look forward to being a regular poster here and am about to order a Q3 Sportback, coming out of an X3, and before that a Q5 and two std old model Q3s.

I would love some feedback on real world average MPGs, especially on the 35tdi and 40tdi models. I still love the torque diesel gives and the higher mileage possible per fill. However I have heard a few people suggest that these latest diesels are not that great in the new Q3 for mpg. Is it still possible to get 40MPG plus from the Stronic models? How much worse is the Quattro version? My usual driving is a mix of town and longer 2 hr M40 and M5 trips, at 75mph, i’m fairly gentle on the accelerator and currently get 40 from the current model 2.0d X3 and got 43 from the current Q5 2.0tdi.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Tom

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Welcome Tom.

Real-world MPG rather than oh so optimistic DIS display - most Audi vehicles I've owned have tended to read circa 10% high, the current RS is a fairly consistent 7% high. For reference motorway runs at circa 75mph nudge 35mpg which will probably come as a surprise for a high-performance missile.

Q3, even Quattro versions, are predominately front wheel drive most of the time as the Haldex in the rear axle only wakes up when the front wheels start to rotate faster than the rears so its only the additional drivetrain weight that has to be dragged around that makes the difference to fuel economy.

Make sure you order the Comfort & Sound pack as the standard audio is 'disappointing' for most.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Useful info, and yes will get the C&S package, added to either the SLine or Black Edtiion.

Are there any diesel Q3 SB owners here who can directly comment on MPG?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I’m afraid I can't help with fuel consumption as I have never been bothered about it and wouldn’t have a clue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks David, appreciate it’s not important to some people, it’s always been important for me, although with declining sales (even though it’s the cleanest it’s ever been) magazines no longer review diesels as the default model and so it’s harder to find out how it real world mpg performs.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
When we had our TDi Q3 it appeared to live up to it’s 500+ mile range guide.
Now we are retired our mileage has halved to around 5k so a tankful lasted ages.
Even with the RS, because most of our driving is on congested south east roads and even very little dual carriageway, let alone non existent motorways, I don't seem to be filling up too often.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Twas the old 2013 version. My only ever diesel. I p/x’d my 3.0i BMW X3 and the day after I swapped, it was decreed that diesels weren’t the saviour of the world but the spawn of the devil. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed the fact that nobody on the forum has a current Q3 diesel to give feedback on highlights how out of favour it has become, but still 30% of UK car sales are diesel…

They were never “better for the environment” and they are now “non worse than petrol” or arguably electric when the manufacturing process for batteries is taken into account. But as ever, it’s about the PR and dieselgate was not positive PR!

Hopefully someone will have a current Q3 or Q3 sb tdi and be able to check their average MPG for me over the next days/weeks.

Cheers 🍻

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
I've seen the sea-change since 2013 when I bought mine. I got some very strange looks when I told the salesdroids I wanted a 2.0TFSI S-Tronic. I couldn't even get a test-drive in one and had to make do with a 2.0TDI manual to see how they drove. One even tried talking me into a Q5 sooner than accept that I wasn't budging from the petrol route. I was never convinced by the diesel argument in the first place and I'm ****' glad I stuck to my guns now. The 2.0TFSI in mine is only a 170BHP but there's ample quiet power to spare at all times and it's a gem of an engine. Now diesels are about as welcome as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip the boot is firmly on the other foot.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
19 Posts
My name is Tom and this is my first post, look forward to being a regular poster here and am about to order a Q3 Sportback, coming out of an X3, and before that a Q5 and two std old model Q3s.

I would love some feedback on real world average MPGs, especially on the 35tdi and 40tdi models. I still love the torque diesel gives and the higher mileage possible per fill. However I have heard a few people suggest that these latest diesels are not that great in the new Q3 for mpg. Is it still possible to get 40MPG plus from the Stronic models? How much worse is the Quattro version? My usual driving is a mix of town and longer 2 hr M40 and M5 trips, at 75mph, i’m fairly gentle on the accelerator and currently get 40 from the current model 2.0d X3 and got 43 from the current Q5 2.0tdi.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Tom
Hi Tom,
I bought a 2015 Facelift TFSI Quattro (180bhp) S-Tronic last July after running a 2015 Audi TT diesel Ultra. I was a bit concerned about the fuel consumption. The TT was always over 48mpg: for the same journeys now, I get about 33 in the Q3. But it can vary hugely according to the settings. In comfort mode and "D" it coasts on long downhills (like the freewheel I had on Saab 96 models) which improves things greatly. Today, in the South Downs I drove for 8 miles from home along an A road for a trail run, mainly uphill. I managed 28mpg but on the return, I got 43mpg. If I put it in "S" throttle response is much sharper and there's no freewheel, so average is about 30mpg. I only use the "S" setting pulling out of junctions or joining fast carriageways or if I'm on my own and want a bit of fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting thanks. I would imagine the non Quattro diesel 150bhp should be over 40 then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting thanks. I would imagine the non Quattro diesel 150bhp should be over 40 then.
Yes, I would think you’ll get that easily. My best on my TT Diesel Ultra was 63mpg along a very quiet stretch of the M4/M5. It was 184bhp but Superchipped to 225. My previous TT was a 2008 Quattro Diesel, which returned just over 50mpg in all conditions. But that was a heavier car and nicer to drive than the later model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts