Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have march 2013 Q3 s line tdi manual that keeps its idle at 1050 for weeks on end in dark and light with headlights off
The dealer has lent me same car that idles at 800 rpm and goes up to 950 rpm but drops back down to 800 fairly regularly
My car been at 1050 rpm for three weeks

Has anyone else had this issue

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does it warm up properly? Mine was the same, idle was higher than my previous q3 and it didn't warm up. My dealer found the auxiliary thermostat was faulty. It's aok now :).

·
Registered
192 Posts
</font>I have the same experience
I just put it down colderweather itdrop back 850rpm within 5
min. The TDI engine takes a lotlonger to warm up Audi
fit an auxiliary heater in the cabin.

</font>The colder engine
the more efficient it is

</font>

·
Registered
301 Posts
<h1 ="entry-title" style="border: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line; clear: both; font-weight: normal; font-family: LeagueGothicRegular, Impact, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb237, 28, 36; line-height: 48px; text-trans: uppercase; font-size: 40px; text-shadow: rgb153, 153, 153 1px 1px 1px;">WHY IS MY DIESEL LESS EFFICIENT WHEN COLD?</h1><div ="entry-" style="border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line; font-family: LeagueGothicRegular, Impact, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb136, 136, 136; font-size: 14px; text-trans: uppercase;">POSTED ON13 JUN '12BYED<div ="entry-" style="border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 12px 0px 0px; vertical-align: line; clear: both; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px;">So, it's the summer! Hurrar! Great news forconvertibles,cruisers, nice peaceful drives and getting a sunburn on your driving side. But it's not all fun in the sun. Britain's weather has a terrible way of changing its mind. Hot to cold, hot to cold. It almost feels like RussianRoulette trying to pick a day that wont piss it down.While doing fuel research online I've came across a lot of people asking the same question regarding the weather:<strong style=": transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line;">why is my diesel less efficient when cold[/b]?Because these questions were scattered everywhere from Yahoo Answers, Car Forums, Online Communities, Wiki Answers etc, answers seemed scattered and confused. Hopefully here I'll make things a lot more clear!There are, in fact, many reasons to why your diesel might be less efficient in cold weather. All of them being more fact than myth. Truth being told, cold weather has never been great for motorists.Now, a lot of these do relate to the Winter. I fully understand it's no longer the Winter(!), however for the sakes of documenting these problems and helping people out for the forthcoming year, here are a collection ofanswersthat may solve your fuelefficiencyquestions:<strong style=": transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line;">Summer Diesel Vs Winter Diesel[/b]<em style=": transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line;">As simple as:[/i]Summer diesel is more dense than Winter diesel, and has more energy per unit volume than Winter diesel. It's common to see a mileage reduction in that season as a result.<strong style=": transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line;">Getting That Thing Going[/b]When your car has been parked over night in colder weather the internal parts of the engine are at a lower temperature than warm weather. Since diesel's use compression for combustion some of the energy created by combustion goes towards heating engine internals instead of powering your car. If the internals actually reach a low enough temperature you'll be unable to even get the engine to start. Hence the need for block heaters in very cold climates.<strong style=": transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line;">Keep Rollin'[/b]Driving in the snow increases the roll resistance. Don't believe me? Try to ride your bike in, say, 2cm of snow. You'll notice a huge difference in comparison with dry tarmac.<strong style=": transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line;">Check That Battery[/b]You might also want to check your battery. At speed your alternator is going to do all the work but when idling your alternator might not as efficient and require some help from the battery. If your battery isn't up to the task of supplying the glow plugs with 12v then that will certainly affect mileage.<strong style=": transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line;">Hot, Hot Heat[/b]All engines are more efficient when warm because they run on heat. They burn fuel, which gets hot, the heat makes pressure, the pressure turns the motor. The colder it is, the less heat, less pressure, less go.<strong style=": transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line;">
[/b]So, hopefully this has answered a few of your worries and questions about the weather effecting your fuel efficiency. If you have any more theories and suggestions that may help people with similar problems then give us a shout and we'll add it to the article!But for the meantime let's hope it gets a little warmer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi,

I've just noticed this conversation regarding increased idle speed. It looks I have the same symptom.

Idle speed is around 1000 rpm always even with the engine at 90 deg C. The only exception is when it's started - 800 rpm. After a short journey it goes back to 1000 rpm.

It's pretty cold outside right now but as mentioned above I have 1000 rpm also with a warm engine. Any ideas highly appreciated...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Noticed that for two weeks I've owned the Q3 it's resolutely sat at 1000rpm whether a short or long journey. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow for a chat, just doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Gastroparesis. I spoke with my dealer today. Technician told me this is because of the cold conditions outside, ha, ha. I'm to observe how the rpms are in different situations....

Please post your dealer recomendation.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well i'm on my 2nd winter with the q3 and my idle has never jumped up due to the conditions, since the accelerator is wireless can it even be a mechanical fault. Hmmmmm back to your fealer again i think, i would say go back in the summer but mayby other things will be happening due to the "conditions"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Spoke to the service manager over the phone, he advised that as it's only covered a few hundred miles to let it run for a month or two. I'll keep an eye on it but considering I've not had this problem before with my last two cars from new it doesn't quite add up. Still I've noted the time / date of the call and will see how things pan out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi,

Observed after a journey of approx 400 km :

enigine temp 90deg C - rpm at idle 800, then stopped for refuel , 10 min break, engine started - 800rpm , pressed a gas pedal - again 1000rpm. After another 100km back to 800 rpm.
External temp -10 deg C.

Looks like NASA logic...

Will observe and share...

regs

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi,

Just want to refresh the subject. I still have high idle ( approx 1000rpm). I have figured now that it is increased once AC is on and there is at least several degrees difference between outside temp ( higher) and setting ( lower).

My dealer says it is ok and it is managed by electric power managemsnt system of the car blah,blah. My opinion is different but I have only compared with A4 and Q5 with the similar engines ( no such symptom).

Can other users of diesel 140 ps engines share their experience? Do you have increased idle when AC is on and it is hot outside?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have never thought it could be an issue so will have to test but as far as I can remember my car has always idled at 1,000rpm since it was new. I just thought it was normal. It is a 177 and I normally have the air con on so I will have to try turning it on/off and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I was out earlier, mine is a 140 diesel and ticks over at about 800. Even in the summer i've never seen it idle any higher. I had clutch judder in my ladt car and the dealer increased the tickover to 1000, made them change it back!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had the car "checked" by so called AUDI service- they didn't even connect VAG device to see if any faults are stored
. 1000 rpms are ok if AC's on that's what I've heard.

What do you think I should do ? Contact Audi ?

Edited by: gienol

·
Registered
205 Posts
A friend of mine has spoken to a Techie at Shrewsbury Audi and confirmed that if the car is in neutral with the clutch out the tickover is approx 1000rpm but if you depress the clutch it lowers to approx 800rpm when the engine is warm. He has tried this procedureon his car and confirms this is the case, the tickover increases as you let out the clutch to help prevent stalling, there is supposed to be a switch on the pedal movement. Can anyone else see if this is the case with their car. Not sure on how this would affect an auto.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts