Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone define; I have heard some conflicting views.How does the Q3's Quattro system operate? What percentage of power goes to the front and back wheels under normal driving and what are the maximums under demanding conditions? Is the Q3's Quattro different from the system on the Q5?Cheers.
PS I still have maybe 3 weeks to wait for my own

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a really good video on YouTube made by audi explaining this and how it works as it is not as simple as 60/40% as it depends on the grip on each wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks; I hadn't seen the video before.. ... ..it's very well done.Does the Q3 have the traditional Quattro system or a version of Haldex?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
The Q3 uses a variant of the Haldex system, where the Q5 (and most other Audis) use the Torsen differential system. The Q3 shares the Haldex system with the TT & A3/S3. In the Q3, it is pretty much front wheel drive most of the time (5% torque via haldex, so 2.5% rear & 2.5% front), but as soon as the computer detects slip on any of the wheels it can divert torque to any of the other driving wheels with up to 100% rear if required.
Check outhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro_(four-wheel-drive_system) for additional info.
Cheers, Ivan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ivan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts