Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a new Q3, how does the quattro model handle in bad weather compared to the 2 wheel drive, any advise?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Didn't have any bad moments in the recent snow with FWD (and not fitted with winter tyres) - but it's technique as much as hardware sometimes - as has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, if you hit ice, you're basically riding a toboggan anyway!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hmmm, well this topic didn't get far...!

I am genuinely interested in why people by 4WD though - has it really been used "in anger" by many Q3 users? Or would they happily trade for 2WD and the greater economy it brings (in purchase price, as well as mpg)

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have got the Q3 on the mobility scheme which is for 3 years and you have to pay a certain amount toward it and it worked out to only be £200 difference that we had to put down for the quattro compared to the 2wd. so we got the quattro.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought the Quattro purely for resale potential, thinking it'll be more of a desirable option.

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
(as just posted in another thread)

I went for 4WD (as indeed my previous car was) as I need to:-

(a) be able to occasionally get to and from customers on farmland, and

(b) get to customers (and - more importantly - home from customers) in snowy conditions.

The
South-East doesn't suffer that badly compared with the rest of the
country but when it does it ain't funny. We seem to be suffering more
from dodgy winter weather in recent years and I don't like being
stranded friggin' miles (friggin' kms) from home in loads of white
powdery sh*t.

·
Registered
143 Posts

This is why I chose AWD

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Q.E.D. I think...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had 4wd on my Tiguan and it easily coped with the snow we have had during most winters since 2009.

My wife bought the A1 a couple of years ago and it was a natural progression to swop the Tiguan for another 4wd- Q3! We test drove the Q3 when it was released and liked it. Even managed to park it against a new Tiguan and the Q3 was for more modern in design, so we were sold.

Had a few Audis before and I always wanted a 'Quattro'. Dreams do come true

·
Registered
613 Posts
Glad to see Q3 4wd owners appear to have bought 4wd for the right reasons - "off-road" meaning more than occasional use in Sainsbury's car park!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Jules said:
Glad to see Q3 4wd owners appear to have bought 4wd for the right reasons - "off-road" meaning more than occasional use in Sainsbury's car park!
Hey ! I'll have you know I've been to Sainsbury's twice this week

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
There's only one vehicle suitable for use in Sainsbury's* car parks...

...someone else's LandRover.

*(I use Waitrose - you get a better class of collision there.)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Gromit said:
There's only one vehicle suitable for use in Sainsbury's* car parks...

...someone else's LandRover.

*(I use Waitrose - you get a better class of collision there.)
Ah, yes, the "Mummy in SUV" count is probably at it's highest there...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ha ha, I shall be a Mummy in SUV when my Q3 arrives! In my defence though, my BMW coupe has been an absolute pain with a baby to get in and out for nursery each day. I have gone for quattro for several reasons - my parents are farmers so to get to them in winter 4wd is needed, I spend around 4 hrs a day in my car commuting so want to be safe on the roads in bad weather and Because my BMWs have been the most pathetic things ever in snow, I have been stranded several times and have to abandon it, can't risk that now with a munchkin on board!

·
Registered
192 Posts
me?I prefer 4 wheels driving & grip not 2 wheels driving and 2 following or pushingResale valueEasy to sellSafety no wheel spin at the trafic lightsMain reason?I live in the countrylast 4wd carsKia Sportage (KIA UK plate) K1 AUK private plate DVLA missed this oneMitsubishi Shogun Sport (54 plate)Mitsubishi Outlander Warroir (57 plate)Kia Sorento (60 plate) converted to K1 AUK after 6 months old

Edited by: puddy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts