Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I am not a Q3 owner yet but i am in the process of buying one and i have some questions that you may help me with.
The 2.0 TDI engines used in the 140 and 170 hp are the same engines?
I know they are the same engine block but do they actually have any mechanical differences or is the extra power of the 170 hp model just an expensive remap?
For me it lokks like they got some internal differneces because tuners tune the 140 hp to 180 and the 170 hp to more than 200 hp
Thank you in advance :) and please excuse my bad english

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes different turbos and probably other small changes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No, just repeating what I've been told on here before! Sorry!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry for dragging this thread back up but thought it best to recycle than to start a new one. May be on the verge of ordering tomorrow after some pretty aggressive research. I've read pretty much every review going but most seem to be from before the 140 was available with Quattro. I need Quattro but if the 140 engine handles it well, I'll go with it rather than shell out for the 170. Going to stick with manual. Would love auto but can't justify the cost.
Wanted to keep options down - upgrade the stereo, leather and xenons. Any other essentials?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Why upgrade the stereo, have you compared the two?

·
Registered
274 Posts
No, but having been massively underwhelmed by my last car's stock stereo, thought £250 was a fair price for a bit of an upgrade just in case - and I am partial to some rather bass heavy electronic music.

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
I'm not sure you'll find it well spent, in all honesty. Still, each to his own - especially in options priorities. Here everyone has different requirements and your priorities were off the bottom of my list.

If I were you I'd look at the interior LED lighting pack (assuming it isn't already included in your spec.), SD SAT/NAV and heated seats, especially as you're having leather. Avoid sports suspension and any wheels larger than 18" if comfort is important to you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went for the 177bhp diesel quattro manual and glad I did. Its got more umff compared to the 140bhp which I personally found a bit lacking in quattro spec. Make sure you negotiate a good discount and it will pay for the more powerful engine.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have the 140 in manual and while there have been a few occasions where i felt i could do with some more oomph it's more than capable 90% of the time imo. However when i ordered my car the 177 was not available in manual hence why i bought mine. If i was ordering again i would go for the 177, it's not that much extra and considering how much you throw away in options it's one option you'll notice and probably get back on resale.

Been away for a while but good to see the forum still here

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had the Tiguan automatic 4wd for 4 years before swopping to the Q3.

The Tiguan was always adequate, but lacked that extra power on the rare occasion it was required. The 140 is perfectly good in quattro form, but just accept that the odd time you regret having that extra ooomph, you have made a bit of a saving. Otherwise go for the 177.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Time to raid the piggy bank - 177 it is..... So long as I can get my local dealer down to the same price as Maidstone Audi.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Great choice. You'll find the quattro invaluable on our typical damp road conditions, not so much in the snow unless you put winter boots on.
It was 14 degrees last night when i was out, long may this continue

·
Registered
485 Posts
Had you gone for the 140 there may have been times when you wished you had that bit extra power, but accepted that financial wise you were better off.

Is this a case of head ruling heart, or heart ruling head?

·
Registered
274 Posts
If there's one thing I've learned in life it's never to let your head rule your heart - that's what accountants are for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
bandrews said:
If there's one thing I've learned in life it's never to let your head rule your heart - that's what accountants are for.

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem getting a price-match with Maidstone Audi - you can always threaten to order from them instead...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well that was easy. Done and with the full discount. Wasn't expecting him to say yes there and then! Already changing my mind on some options though. Anyone got the chennai brown leather? Some pictures look a nice tan, others look bright orange.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts