Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
Joined the club today, I currently drive an A6 Allroad 2.5 TDI, 2005. I bought the car in 2007 with 20k on the clock and have now reached 70k. I want to replace the A6 with a Q3 or Q5 but am also checking out a Tiguan, Antara and a Kuga(2013 model).
I have a peculiar problem in that to reach my house I drive up a dirt track which the local sheep also use, this results in the track have lots of mud and poo which the A6 accumulates on the sills. When the wife and I get out of the car we get mud and poo on the backs of our legs. I believe that if I fitted side steps to the new car, this would alleviate the problem but I cannot find any official Q3 steps. I know it seems a bit strange but the new car must be automatic and have leather, cruise control and loads of toys. The deal breaker will be the mud on the sills problem and this will decide the make of car I buy.
Do Audi do side steps for the Q3 or Q5?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Firstly welcome

I wouldn't worry too much about the sills, the door completely covers them so they should stay clean. Never seen a Q3 with the side steps,maybeit's too low for these. My brother had side steps in his Q7 but that was a bit of a monster and a climb to get in.
I've not seen much mud action but the car is very dirty at the moment and the sills are clean under the door. I can try and get a picture laters if that would help any

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
Reilsab thanks for your quick reply, and yes a photo or two would be useful just to prove to the wife that this is the card we need to buy.

Del thanks for the links. I wanted Audi to fit the steps so that they come under the 3 year warranty, of course if Reilsab is right I will not need them.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Here's a few photo's so you know what i'm talking about.You can see the door closes over the sill in the first photo and the rubber seal meeting the body below the sill. Hope this helps in your decision

·
Registered
485 Posts
We live in the country and have similar issues to you- dirty door sills.

The Q3 has no such problems as there is a seal along the bottom of the door that prevents the sill from getting dirty. You can see this on reilsab's picture above. This fits up against another seal that you can also see at the bottom of the sill.
I have just fitted mud flaps to my Q3 and they definitely keep it cleaner- just don't buy the S-line if you want to fit mud flaps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to both SETIG and REILSAB you have convinced me I do not need sidesteps. Now I have to just work out what spec and toys I want, oh yeh and find the money.
I have attached photo of my current problem with the A6.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I see what you mean taffy, looks like you do a spot of part time rallying!
Have you been for any test drives? I drove the X1 ( too ugly and similar to what i had ), Sportage (I'mno badge snob but the quality was lacking in some areas and I was curious ). Then I was out for a spin in an A4 Allroad but noticed the Q3 in the showroom, didn't even know they made such a thing but an hour later i had an order in

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Taffy
In response to the sidesteps and keeping the mud and poo of you and your wifes legs, IMHO sidesteps wont make any difference mate, i currently drive a BMW X3 with sidesteps and I still get mud on my trouser legs.In fact I think sidesteps make the problem worse as you have to stretch your legs even further when stepping out of the car.
Roll on March 1st when my Q3 arrives

Garry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Umm... forget I asked. I just drove home and realised I already have the regular plastic sills. I thought I didn't have any.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm the same. Every time I come on here, someone has mentioned a feature and I wonder if I have it. Go and look and sure enough .. it's there. Discover new things every week.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yeah standard sills, can't say much myself however. I just noticed the low storage compartment to the right of the steering wheel after a month!

·
Registered
111 Posts
reilsab said:
Yeah standard sills, can't say much myself however. I just noticed the low storage compartment to the right of the steering wheel after a month!
Hehe... same here. And I just realized that the armrest/compartment cover in front actually can be slided back and forth...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A bit off topic but heres an update on my A6 Allroad, took it for MOT and it failed because the tyre valves have been chewed. Culprit turns out to be the sheepdog on the farm, he bites the valve stems as I drive past him slowly. Also had a gash in one tyre so I had to change the axle pair of tyres at a cost of £170. I am now investigating changing the tyre valve stems to metal ones but read of corrosion problems where the stem meets the alloy wheel, perhaps I will fit shorter rubber valve stems.

·
Registered
563 Posts
q3taffy said:
A bit off topic but heres an update on my A6 Allroad, took it for MOT and it failed because the tyre valves have been chewed. Culprit turns out to be the sheepdog on the farm, he bites the valve stems as I drive past him slowly. Also had a gash in one tyre so I had to change the axle pair of tyres at a cost of £170. I am now investigating changing the tyre valve stems to metal ones but read of corrosion problems where the stem meets the alloy wheel, perhaps I will fit shorter rubber valve stems.
Sorry, I know this cost you money, but it made me laugh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Del, I have just spoken to the farmer wot owns the dog and he has advised me of the secret command to make the dog lie down. The dog doubles as a guard dog as he is a New Zealand Huntaway breed. I will try the command and let you know my progress. Oh yeh, I have ordered 8 new short valves for our two cars, local fitter will change valves for £10 a car. I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy the farmer a replacement dog.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I was a lot younger, my dad had a border collie from working dogs on a farm in North Wales called (you guessed it) Taffy (later to be replaced by Dylan (magic roundabout!)). Taffy had a similar predilection for all things connected with car wheels. Aah, the sheep dog trials - and tribulations !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts