Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a A3 S line black edition teknik and I love it. Unfortunately I'm 70 this year and the old bones make it hard to get into and out of these days.
So am considering Q3 S line 35 TFSI what are other peoples option on it. is it the right move for me.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hi and welcome.
I came to SUVs from reasonably sporty hatchbacks with trepidation but, now at 67 and after about 8 years, I have had no regrets.
Others can advise you better on detail specs but letting us know what you are looking for in terms of performance and handling will help.
I went from 130i to X3 3.0i BMWs then onto my old 178bhp TDI Q3 and the comfort outweighed any minor losses.
I have now gone onto my ‘final(?) fling) RSQ3 purely to avoid diesel ownership and get some fun before they outlaw or sanitise it.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Welcome Oldmanjohn, well I'm 6 years behind you and staring down the barrels of knee surgery before Christmas so a bit clunky too.

Don't hesitate, the get straight in rather than drop down into driving position is essential, aside from the benefits of a slightly higher driving position which is simply safer as one can see further down the road.

On the F3 Q3 the standard audio system falls short of the mark so you need to purchase/find a Q3 with the Comfort and Sound pack option.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi and Welcome.
I believe I understand your question as I too was in the same position a couple of years ago. I will be 72 in Nov and have just ordered my third Q3 an RS again as it happens. There is a Q3 to suit a wide range of tastes and needs. Similar to a previous post I have departed from Diesel (the Devil's juice), and gone for a more sporty petrol car. Comfort, getting in and out and a commanding driving position are some of the great assets of the Q3, it is also very easy to drive and control. Fuel economy is not an asset of the RS, however if you want a bit of get up go then you might consider one.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies guys
I'm looking at the Q3 S line TFSI S Tronic with comfort & sound pack and parking assistance pack. (my wife will be driving also!)
this is the same engine on my A3 which I'm very happy with, will it be under powered on the Q3 hoping to test drive on Monday

·
Registered
375 Posts
I currently have a A3 S line black edition teknik and I love it. Unfortunately I'm 70 this year and the old bones make it hard to get into and out of these days.
So am considering Q3 S line 35 TFSI what are other peoples option on it. is it the right move for me.
Well, access will definitely be easier so that's one tick. Will it feel underpowered? That's personal preference. My 45 TFSI feels underpowered to me. (Actually, it's not so much underpowered as under-torqued especially when the gearbox is in Standard/Drive/comfort mode rather than Sport. I'd rather have more instant torque available, but that's all a matter of what you're used to driving of course.)

Or are you asking about whether an Audi Q3 is the best option if you want a compact SUV/crossover? There are many other options besides Audi even within the VW group such as Seat Ateca or the Skoda equivalent, which are both good cars, better value than the Q3, although the tech and interior styling is maybe a generation behind the Q3, plus some folk still like the Audi name. I'm personally wondering about a Cupra Ateca to get the 300bho engine but whether I could accept the somewhat older tech is what's holding me back.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
I'm pretty much your age and am fortunate in owning both a Q3 and an A3 Sportback. The progression from A3 to Q3 is a natural one and I can strongly recommend it. Performance-wise, the A3 is a 1.4TFSI and the Q3 is a 2.0TFSI, both S-Tronic, and the performance of both is pretty much identical. Go for it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
RSQ3 Performance Dec 66 plate,
140 Posts
Hi John, Q3 is a good choice , We have a new mini jcw , Thats not good to get in/out off(its the wifes), Ive my RSQ3 its good in every single way, Easy to get in to & out . No mater what age and fitness ,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I have changed from a A3 s line cabriolet to a Q3 35TFSI and I love it.
I think it would be a great option for you, it’s very comfortable and I find the higher seating far more forgiving on the bones!
I personally would go for the Vorsprung and if money permits the bigger engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I bought a Q3 after having at least 5 VW Passat Estates. I loved the VW's but at the age of 72 years I found it was becoming more difficult to get into the drivers seat. I was too low for a comfortable and genteel entry & exit, so the move to the Q3. Awaiting knee surgery within the next 6 months, so the DSG is a blessing and love the Black Edition Q3. Keep the Audi???

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
...and so say all of us! Welcome to the club, Richard. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I feel like I should still be in hot hatches reading this thread , I made the jump to RSQ3 2 yrs ago at the age of 41.. Maybe my body will thank me when/if I get to 60/70 😂

Reactions: S3GCN

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I drove the Q3 and although I think the A3 drives better, handling and response, I've bit the bullet and ordered one. A Q3 Sline 35 TFSI in white with comfort and sound pack and spare wheel ( hate the pump thing) I like the driving position and the new MMI and overall I think it will suit us best for the next few years....
So thank you for all your reviews and recommendations. Just waiting for a delivery date?
Just to let you know that it will come with one key remote and one blade that will open but not start the car? They have stated that they will supply a spare remote when chip supply eases up. Then a visit to code it to the car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How does the sub woofer and spare wheel fit in as they use the same space? From some one who has the tub of sealant option and doesn’t have that problem

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Maybe Audi have used the same approach as the Q5 - the Sub-woofer sits inside the spare wheel?

Reactions: teesman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi John, Q3 is a good choice , We have a new mini jcw , Thats not good to get in/out off(its the wifes), Ive my RSQ3 its good in every single way, Easy to get in to & out . No mater what age and fitness ,
I'm 72 and swapped my TT Ultra for a 2015 Q3 TFS! Quattro six weeks ago as I needed something more practical for two of my [email protected] school pick-up. It took me a about 500 miles to start to enjoy it. It is very comfortable and easy to get in and out. I have the pan roof and electric seats so it really is lovely. I am just getting used to S-Tronic which I think is brilliant: and in economy mode you get free-wheeling when you lift off the throttle, which improves petrol consumption. In Sport mode it goes very well. My only minor gripe is the handling: my TT's have always been pin-ship on turn-in but the Q3 is a bit ponderous, although it will tighten up if you push it. I have the 17" wheels which are very comfy. With 18" or 19" I think you'd get better handling but pay with comfort. It was a good move for me and I hope you'll get to love it too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How does the sub woofer and spare wheel fit in as they use the same space? From some one who has the tub of sealant option and doesn’t have that problem
Hi Dave, I believe its a different foam insert, and the sub fits inside the spare wheel. Just need to unplug the sub to remove the wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts