Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

there appears to be a few members with vibration issues from the front end of their Q3, what i would like to find out is which model this issue isrelevant to such as the following criteria, i know audi are probably compiling this info but it would be interesting to see which models are affected and which are not.
My personal issues are with an S-line 177 BHP 2.0 diesel S-tronic with factory fitted 19 inch Off-road type alloys.

would be helpfull if the members with similar issues could supply the above info regarding their particular model, then we can see if a pattern is emerging.
Edited by: audidriver4ever

·
Registered
92 Posts
mine is 177 2.0 diesel s line auto quattro - 18 inch wheels. Also experienced same vibration on 177 auto SE loan car with 18 inch wheels

·
Registered
563 Posts
I get vibration at just over motorway speed, car has been back to dealer to get the wheels rebalanced but the problem is still there.Spec is below.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hmm... A bit premature, but the common trait so far seems to be "177 diesel, quattro, dsg" or a subset thereof.
Makes me wonder why on earth I didn't heed the old adage about not getting the first generation of a new model...

·
Registered
613 Posts
My SE 140 Front Wheel drive, is as smooth as a Tomcat peeing on a piece of velvet.... Oh, sorry, that doesn't help, does it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jules,

no, your comments do help!
i am looking for negative and positive feedback, this will help, it already appears to make no difference if the 18 or 19 inch wheelsare fitted, which is good as my dealer is blaming the "huge" wheels, and audi are alsoleaning this wayas an excuse.
the other common factor is s-tronic, from day one i have always thought that this vibration was a transmission issue, and i may be proved wrong, and hopefully it will be the rack, but i am struggling as an engineer to honestly believe that a brand new rack can be worn or have enough manufacturing tolerance issues to cause these severe vibrations.
if the rack was worn or manufactured out of tolerance, then for me the vibration would be present at all road speeds, the vibration will be emitted from a rotating component, the rack does not rotate, there is an imbalance with a rotating component which resonates at a cetain frequency (road speed)which leads me back to drive shaft/transmission/hubs, now that the wheels/tyres are out of the equation.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a Q3 177 quattro s/tronic on 18 wheels , had it since nov last year done over 4000 miles had NO problem with the steering / vibration . hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get vibrations in the wheel around 80-85mph.
Had the wheels balanced twice already, little improvement. Taking the car back to Audi on Monday.
SE 177 TDI auto 19" alloys
Would love to hear if anyone same problem and found a solution

·
Registered
130 Posts
jplauer said:
I get vibrations in the wheel around 80-85mph.
Had the wheels balanced twice already, little improvement. Taking the car back to Audi on Monday.
SE 177 TDI auto 19" alloys
Would love to hear if anyone same problem and found a solution
I also get vibrations in the wheel around 80-85mph.But running a S Line 177 Tdi on 18" alloys.Not been back to the dealers yet, and not sure if I want them to play about with my alloy wheels scraping weights off & fitting other poor quality weights.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have been driving S-line 177 TDI Quattro for about 2000 miles now and no vibrations at all in car at any speed or other conditions. S-tonic very smooth and really very pleased overall with car. Struggle to see any reasons why some cars should be so different to others. I didn't take the sports suspension (previous experiences!), and on standard 18" wheels but would you expect this to make a difference, probably not. Hope the issues are all resolved quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Q3 2.0 TFSI 211bhp, S-Line, 18" wheels, sports suspension model.

350miles only, but no vibration yet - apart from normal road feedback on different surfaces (i.e. concrete v tarmac motorway).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update on my vibrations problems.
Fourth time in dealership to get wheels balanced and not becoming better.
This time they made it with hot wheels but it only made it worst!
I'm becoming desperate.... Anyone had the problem and know how it can be fixed?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The vibration issues don't only affect the Q3, i had similar problems with my 2008 TT 2.0TFSI manual on 17" wheels. There's quite a bit about it on the Mk2 TT forum.
I had the front tyres changed on the TT and after a couple of hundred miles started to getvibrations coming through the steering wheel. I took the car back to the tyre fitters who advised getting the rears rebalanced as well as the fronts. It didn't cure the problem so i tookthe car to Audi to have a look at it under warranty.

As i was getting the vibrations at about 80 mph i had to takethe technician on a test drive to show him the problem, when the vibrations started he said thathe could feel them through the floor.

Audi had the car for the day and when i picked it up they said that all they had done was re balance the wheels.

Acouple of days later whilst on the motorway i noticed that the steering wheelwas off centre (more noticeable with the flat bottomed steering wheel), i took the car back to Audi who sorted out the steering wheel alignment and have not had a problem since, I've since had a new set of tyres on the front again with no problems.

So I'massuming a bit, but, when Audi had the car they must have adjusted the tracking hence why the steering wheel was offset.

Hopefully this will help those with the vibration problems.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sad to say I could feel the steering wheel vibrate at around 120 kph (75 mph). It is not happening all the time though. I will take my car to the dealer next week. Disappointed.
Edited by: pekX2to

·
Registered
111 Posts
I haven't noticed anything (so far.) Dead stable. But I've only briefly driven at 125 km/h (78 mph.)
Must get out of the country to drive faster, will not happen much. Here there are no roads with limit above 100 km/h (62 mph), driving above 140 (87 mph) makes you a pedestrian. And in between it's just expensive.
I have the 170 hp, petrol,manual, 18" wheels

Edited by: JayN

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 177 dieselS-line quattro DSG has been with audi now for 5 weeks or so, with no updates from Audi other than they are aware of these vibration issues which appear to be narrowed down to RHD/DSG models only.
Apparently if you fit the 17 inch wheeels thereare no issues, the bigger the wheels fitted the worse the vibration.
Audi have admitted that the issue is a "software issue" and are currently working on a solution.

·
Registered
188 Posts
fabeaton said:
My 177 diesel S-line quattro DSG has been with audi now for 5 weeks or so, with no updates from Audi other than they are aware of these vibration issues which appear to be narrowed down to RHD/DSG models only.
Apparently if you fit the 17 inch wheeels there are no issues, the bigger the wheels fitted the worse the vibration.  
Audi have admitted that the issue is a "software issue" and are currently working on a solution.
Thanks for the update. I left my Q3 at the dealer this evening. Hope they can fix it by Sunday.

pekX2to

1 - 20 of 395 Posts