1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I hope all of you are doing good.
Just noticed Q3 has no TPMS?
I explored and it's just tyre pressure loss.
Bit disappointed but anyway I hope when there is tyre pressure loss it tells you which tyre is loosing pressure.
Or maybe one of you experienced people can tell me if it's just some generic notification or it tells you which exact tyre it is?
Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Think proper TPMS is a £250 option with individual pressure and temp sensors in each wheel, the base system uses the ABS sensors to detect which tyre has lost pressure. Having experienced, and had problems with the full-fat TPMS on an RS4 you haven't really lost out on much.

Reactions: manfrotto

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,
Thanks for reply. Yeah my both previous cars had full TPMS with reading for each tyre.
Was trying to find similar but couldn't.
Then came across tyre pressure loss settings in mmi and then this ABS sensing logic.
To be honest even on my previous cars which had full TPMS I always used air guage to monitor readings while filling up.
When you are filling the tyre you are outside and air guage was helpful not the car display inside :D
But while driving I had few incidents where TPMS reading was really helpful telling how much air pressure is left so you know now it's time to stop or can keep going.
Thanks.
Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I bought this to have exact TPMS readings. So far so good.
20200916_141538.jpg
20200918_195533.jpg

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Oh well done. that looks super cool too!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well done. that looks super cool too!
Haha Thanks. It costs only 40£ plus shipping from Amazon.
Solar powered display with option to charge via USB. Sensors battery also replaceable. What else would you need :D

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
My finger hovered over the buy button for a moment....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha. (y)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since these sensors are like valve caps I thought let's have a contingency plan so I bought these
20200918_212855.jpg

·
Registered
774 Posts
Now I’ve transferred to this page, how good have they been?
As in do they keep the air in as mine seem to weep air despite the recent refurb and are they reasonably accurate.

I was going to get metal caps anyway as I gather they seal better than plastic but this might change my mind.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well so far no air pressure loss observed.
Only air pressure change I see is with temperature change only.
I have not filled in air after having put these.
Bought these end of August so till now working fine.
Only glitch had once 1 tyre display disappeared then just had to reset the device and all is good since then.
Just incase I bought stem valve and that tool and keep it in car.
You never know when it can come handy.
Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
704 Posts
Metal caps can be a big no no. Depending on the metal they are made of they can 'weld' themselves to the valve and the only way they can be removed is to saw them off. The basic Q3 TPMS is a bit basic but at least it gives a warning. What any TPMS doesn't tell you is why.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best thing I like is they made of plastic and rubber seal on the other end.
And if you don't like it or gets faulty you can simply remove them no need to go take tyre off to replace.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I thought I had read that metal caps should be fitted..unless that was to our Mini rft’s.

I might give them a go for that money. I have found your Spurtar on Amazon but there are a load of ‘other brands’ and some reviews are variable. Sprurtar rating seems decent so I’ll have a read later.

Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here fresh picture taken last night showing temperature and pressure, for 40 quid I would say accuracy is not that bad :)
20210107_220202.jpg

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
704 Posts
It is very good but if you loose pressure no TPMS system tells you why. For example it could be an object going in to the tyre, porous wheel, leaking valve, bad fitting tyre, bad tyre manufacture etc. However, knowing which tyre is failing is a positive advantage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts