Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a problem checking the oil on their Q3? On my 2.0 TFSI I find it almost impossible to get an oil level reading as the dipstick always comes out smeared along it's length even after wiping it and putting it back into the tube. Also, it is not helped by the dipstick being black!
I have tried both checking the oil half an hour after stopping the car and also before even starting up the engine. Always on level ground.

Also, how much oil can be topped up between the min and max levels?

Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,708 Posts
Norriemca said:
Also, how much oil can be topped up between the min and max levels?

Any advice will be appreciated.

With all the Audi's I possessed, it was always approx 1/2 litre difference between min and max.
But be careful, too much oil in the engine damages the Kat and other CO2-reducing parts in the exhaust.
And, I think it (oil min/max) is to be found in the manual to.

Edited by: audidriver4ever

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hmm... Does this really has to be checked manually these days? I got a litre of oil at delivery, but I think the man told me to only refill if a light popped up for this...?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies.As the dipstick is so poor, I think the safest option will be to add a half litre every time the low oil light comes on.

·
Super Moderator
1,708 Posts
Norriemca said:
Thank you for your replies.As the dipstick is so poor, I think the safest option will be to add a half litre every time the low oil light comes on.
And, that will be rare. And if it happens (low oil light on) do drive with low revs until you topped it of

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had Audis most of my 45 years' driving. My previous car was an A4 and thatdipstickwas not very clear - prior to that they were OK. The only recommendation I can make is that for the last 170,000 miles, in two A4s, I have always relied on the oil warning light and only when it is illuminated do I top up. Never had a problem and I intend tocontinue this habitwith my Q3. I do not find the Q3 very thirsty for oil. I have so far done 7900 and the oil level is the same as when new. My last A4 had to be topped up every 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The engine oil light measures pressure, not oil level. I was always told that if the oil light comes on, you have probabaly done some damage to the turbo and other parts of the engine will have been starved of oil and wear will have occurred. Best to use the dipstick and not wait for the oil warning light to come on. Also its 1Ltr between low and high marks on the dipstick. The owners manual will confirm this.regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts