Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I won't be using one. Far too many distractions on the road without having a mobile phone in view
My phone stays firmly in my handbag when I'm driving

·
Super Moderator
6,411 Posts
Me too! (Well, not the handbag bit - I'd get talked about - my smartphone stays in my shirt pocket)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
They're called manbags nowadays Gromit, give them a try

·
Super Moderator
6,411 Posts
Really? How quaint.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted the link to aid anyone interested in the brodit. For those that think visuals outwith the flora and fauna they see through the front facing glass are not important , this may not be the thread for you. Or for those that NEED to see the phone for sat navigation, speed camera alerts, business or pleasure, this is the thread for you.Edited by: Cheshire_Carper

·
Registered
518 Posts
Cheshire, your point is well taken. Is the brodit adjustable so that the phone can be mounted horizontally?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cheshire_Carper said:
I posted the link to aid anyone interested in the brodit. For those that think visuals outwith the flora and fauna they see through the front facing glass are not important , this may not be the thread for you. Or for those that NEED to see the phone for sat navigation, speed camera alerts, business or pleasure, this is the thread for you.
I believe that having two screens visible to the driver is an unnecessary distraction (over and above taking phone calls while driving). Surely valid negative comments are allowed on a thread ?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Of course it is, but with many threads here saying how good satnav options like Waze are, all Cheshire is proposing is something to hold the phone in order to better make use of Waze. Bambi, what are your thoughts on the best way to use Waze en route?By definition, if you want touse Waze or something similar, there will be 2 screens. There is always the option to retract the MMI screen if using a smartphone for navigation, in which case you are back to 1 screen (+ the drivers information system)

·
Registered
302 Posts
rontheman said:
Of course it is, but with many threads here saying how good satnav options like Waze are, all Cheshire is proposing is something to hold the phone in order to better make use of Waze. Bambi, what are your thoughts on the best way to use Waze en route?By definition, if you want touse Waze or something similar, there will be 2 screens. There is always the option to retract the MMI screen if using a smartphone for navigation, in which case you are back to 1 screen (+ the drivers information system)
I'd never heard of Waze until recently, but looked it up on the internet.I've only used an ancientTom Tom combined with radio traffic news and myself or OH, depending who is the passenger, using AA Roadwatch on a mobile. I may be wrong, but if Waze depends on other users imputing information (if they are driving at the time) then I would be against using it - and also if it meant an additional screen. I'm not going to say that the old ways are the best (I can't as I find a Tom Tom very useful) but I am very anti-mobile use by drivers and also think that there is far too much distraction for a driver with so many 'tools' at his/her disposal these days. I wouldn't use a smartphone as a Sat Nav - firstly because we don't have a large enough phone to read the screen and secondly, once we get our Q3, I wouldn't want to use two screens - hence why we have ordered the SD Sat Nav. Of course, anyone is free to use whatever they like - each to their own - I prefer to concentrate on driving tho'

Edited by: Bambi

·
Super Moderator
6,411 Posts
I must point out the obvious here - using Waze on a mobile would be no more distracting than using a Tom-Tom. With either it would equally obviously be best to have the pop-up screen retracted.

For me the SD SAT/NAV is ideal as the important information comes via the small screen in the binnacle as well as audibly through the speakers - you hardly need to refer to the pop-up screen at all. Safest option of the lot, in my humble (!) opinion.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I tend to have Waze on my iPhone set to "Warnings only" - so if it detects a problem with traffic, it pipes up via the speakers anyway.
Waze does have the advantage of up-to-date maps though - so does tend to plot a better route!
Oh yes, and it's completely free...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Opinion is what the Internet is all about. Probably the first time my opinion would disagree with Gromit. I drive many miles for work, so am assessed on my driving skills (also including basic maintainence), last assessment which was not in a q3, I dropped on points on the positioning of my sat nav!! I like many, stuck it to the windscreen in the MMI screen position, the assessor explained how the position shown the Brodit holder is in in the video is optimal.

Any screen you have to view while driving should keep your eyes ahead and not involve movement away from the traffic in front. Most car manufactures have picked up on this Honda, Lexus, Peugeot, Citroen and many others have moved the speedo up, BMW us a HUD like a plane, because this keeps your eyes on the road when assessing speed, this is why I think the DIS for sat nav it too much of a distraction, as your eyes have to move down and away from the road.

Personally, I think this holder is spot on, and I assume like previous Brodit products it will not involve screws and drilling. However is there a decent way of getting a power cable to get, through the air vents, maybe.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Crem0 said:
because this keeps your eyes on the road when assessing speed, this is why I think the DIS for sat nav it too much of a distraction, as your eyes have to move down and away from the road.

Personally, I think this holder is spot on, and I assume like previous Brodit products it will not involve screws and drilling. However is there a decent way of getting a power cable to get, through the air vents, maybe.
My concern is that it is possible that a driver will have the Brodit on his/her right, the MMI on the left, DIS in the lower middle and, possibly, talking on the phone at the same time - far too much IMO
If the only screen being looked at is the Brodit or MMI(plus DIS) - fine
It's good to hear that some companies are concerned for their drivers' safety/driving
I spent nearly 4 months in hospital when I was 13 after being hit by a car, hence one of my reasons for being concerned at the distractions to today's drivers.

·
Super Moderator
6,411 Posts
No disagreement here, Cremo, and it's good to find people who are so concerned with the safety issues involved in various "driving aids". I find the various different opinions extremely positive and the airing of them very useful (hopefully) to all that read this forum.

sh*t, that sounds horribly pompous - sorry.

I feel that Bambi's point is a very valid one (and understandably a heartfelt one) that there can be too many distractions for a driver to be safe all the time. At one time I felt that a HUD was the best option, but due to experience back in the day (which I can't go into details about, sorry) with avionics design I can tell you that there is a much greater danger of distraction by information overlaying or impinging into your line of sight than if it is kept just out of it.

All in all there is a balance to be struck and no one solution would suit all drivers. It is good, however, to note such concern for safety amongst Q3 drivers.

Now I must turn Pomposity Mode to OFF and get back to insulting people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.