Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don’t know if this is of any help but I collected my new Q3 last week and no kangarooing whatsoever, actually very smooth. Its a 1.5 tfsi manual if that makes a difference.

My previous A3 with the same engine gearbox combo did kangaroo in first gear at around 1100 revs. So, it does appear that they have either done something to resolve or I have been lucky second time around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An update was applied this morning to the engine ECU, hopefully, that will sort it out.
For anyone who needs it, this was TPI 204885/13.
I have the same problem with my Q3 1.5TFSI manual gearbox....kangaroo and I got a warning light and a message to take the car to a workshop...I was in audi service on 15.1.2020 and they told that there was no fix available....
Is it available now..?
Is that resolved with softvare update,...?

·
Super Moderator
5,777 Posts
As you will see if/when you read the thread back, it seems to have been sorted with the latest software fix. This is also borne out by the fact that we've had no further reports back from those who've suffered the issue so I think it's safe to assume that they've cracked it with the latest release of the fix.

Reactions: spike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a new model 1.5 petrol manual S line. Very pleased with it but I am suffering from the kangarooing issue that many VAG cars have with this engine. It is just for the first few hundred metres and is only a problem when I start off and have to move slowly around a car park. You have to repeatedly press the clutch to get any sort of smooth progress. It's not so bad if you pull away and get up to speed. Has anyone else experienced this and discussed it with their dealer? I'm interested to hear how you got on. As far as I am aware there is no "fix" available yet. Thanks.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
My new 2020 model Q3 Sportback 1.5 petrol tfsi manual is also suffering from the same problem as Andrews car, misfiring/ flat spot and in his words kangarooing when the engine is cold and during warm up period.
Surely Audi with their superior technical knowledge and expertise can fix this problem without too much trouble or can they ??, surely they have to listen to unhappy Customer concerns.
My car has been back to the Audi Dealer with only 500 miles on the clock, who I cannot fault for their concern and help in trying to correct the problem, they checked the car over and reported back to me that there was no fault found on the engine management system.
I have been asked to put a few more miles on the clock and that they would put in a technical fault report to Audi asking for assistance in fixing the problem.
Where does that leave me ?? having spent over £33,000 on a car that gives me no confidence to drive from cold start and has spoilt what is a otherwise a perfect replacement to my previous Q5.
Thank You

·
Super Moderator
5,777 Posts
As it has been reported by several members that there is a software fix, that's the first thing to badger the dealer about. If the fix has been applied and the problem still persists, you have the option to reject the vehicle providing not too much time has elapsed since you took delivery. It is a known and quite widespread problem so I'm really surprised (to say the least!) that the dealer is apparently unaware of it.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Forum member Cuddles quoted the fix as TPI 204885/13 but that was 7 months ago. Worth checking with your dealer if its applicable to your car

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am very interested to see this subject here. I’m new to the forum, but a veteran diehard VAG fan.
20 years of owning diesels with no issue. My wife bought a 1.5 petrol turbo VW T-Roc in manual, new in 2018.

From the off, it had a wicked, harsh clutch. Almost only when cold and the car is running on choke, to use an old phrase.

It is like kangaroo petrol and the driver has to dip the clutch to stop stalling. Embarrassing, scary and dangerous.

The problem is only with the 1.5 Turbo, manual engine.

I know one guy who rejected his 1.5 Audi A1. Replaced it with a 1.0 model and problem resolved.

I complained several times to VW, who denied any knowledge of a problem. car serviced a year later at 8000 miles, no different and no acknowledgement from VW that there was a real problem.

car serviced again in Feb this year, just before lockdown. I listed the kangaroo clutch/fuelling issue at drop off. They again denied ever hearing of it.
I told them I was getting angry and was considering legal action and rejecting the car, even after 2 years .

on collection after service I’m told the car has now had a software update fix for the fuelling issue.

It’s as if the car has had a re-map. The fuelling is much improved, most of the time.

But it’s not perfect. Some times, when cold, she needs the clutch dipped to prevent stalling.

The car has hardly been used since lockdown, But after an issue this week, we decided to just get shot of it. The car is now advertised on a national car sales site.

The problem is real.

The fix does improve things, but it’s not a 100% cure.

my advice.... if you fancy the 1.5T engine, get the DSG gearbox with it.

If you don’t believe me, buy our 16000 mile T Roc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The fix certainly transformed the driving experience of my 1.5 TFSI manual Q3. It is a different car and I would say that the engine is now very flexible and pulls smoothly down to quite low rpm in each gear. If anyone is still driving an "unfixed" 1.5 my advice is to get it done ASAP.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Andrew, I agree, it is a great improvement, but my wife was driving me 2 days ago and it occurred again. Hers was fixed February and she said it only happens now and again.

happening once could be the difference between an accident or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My new 2020 model Q3 Sportback 1.5 petrol tfsi manual is also suffering from the same problem as Andrews car, misfiring/ flat spot and in his words kangarooing when the engine is cold and during warm up period.
Surely Audi with their superior technical knowledge and expertise can fix this problem without too much trouble or can they ??, surely they have to listen to unhappy Customer concerns.
My car has been back to the Audi Dealer with only 500 miles on the clock, who I cannot fault for their concern and help in trying to correct the problem, they checked the car over and reported back to me that there was no fault found on the engine management system.
I have been asked to put a few more miles on the clock and that they would put in a technical fault report to Audi asking for assistance in fixing the problem.
Where does that leave me ?? having spent over £33,000 on a car that gives me no confidence to drive from cold start and has spoilt what is a otherwise a perfect replacement to my previous Q5.
Thank You
First of all, may I take this opportunity to offer my thanks to both Gromit and Spike for their replies and suggestions to my question about the cold running kangarooing problems that I currently have with my new Q3 Sportback S Line 1.5 tfsi petrol engine which I took delivery on 1st August 2020.
I contacted my local Audi Dealer after a couple of weeks ( thinking that it would have cleared up by then ) that I was having cold running problems, “ misfiring and kangarooing “, the car was booked in for a diagnostic check.
After the engine management system was checked over and that any necessary software updates had been applied if required, some updates did not apply to my car, apart from a slight adjustment, they could find no fault.
The Aftersales Manager was very helpful and asked me to drive the car another couple of hundred miles and that in the meantime he would submit a technical report to Audi UK, I am now in the hands of Audi and the Dealer, lets hope it’s sooner rather than later that a fix is found.
Rest assured if I do not get 100% satisfaction, I will return the car and ask for my money back.
Thanks again
Mac

·
Registered
112 Posts
Having posted the TPI fix on here some time ago, I now have to report that the problem has reappeared in the past two weeks. It’s not as bad as it was originally but still enough to cause concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the same problem .....the problem is still present

Not like he used to be but a little kangaroo is still present when I start to moving and when is cold engine.....

Do anyone know a any solution for this problem after the TPU update?
Is someone was on service and reported that problem after the TPU update?

What they told you ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all, I posted on this subject last year. It was when I had a loan 2019 model due to ordering issue. Had the TPU/fix done and all was okay. When I received my 2020 model everything has run smoothly until a few weeks ago where the kangaroo issue began to return in a milder state than the 2019 model. Wondered if it maybe temperature related?

Due for its first service in November so I will raise the issue then and see if any further fix/update/ information available then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi CityQ
My August 2020 Q3 S Line Sportback 1.5 tfsi with 2,000 miles from new is going back into my local Audi Dealer again for further investigation into the cold running / misfire problem and now a misfire / surge when the vehicle has stood for approx 2 hrs or more after the vehicle has been used and warmed up, clearly a problem here, I have every confidence that Audi will sort this out once and for all. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Andrew273
I have the same car and fault. I have had the car a week. My wife noticed it as she drives the car more than me. When she said it doesn’t drive as smooth from cold as her 11 year old Ford Focus did, I thought there must be a problem. After reading all the posts and advice last night it sent the alarm bells ringing. I went to York Audi today and mention this. With no umming and arreing they said ok sir there is an ECU program up grade.
it’s now booked in for Wednesday. I was taken back as I was expecting all the excuses under the sun. I will keep you all up dated as to how it goes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi All.
Since new (approx. 1 year old now) my Q3 has always suffered kangaroo petrol from cold start, and i was very disappointed with the car (previous Q3 was super smooth).
However it needed its first service a week ago and the garage did the service and also some software update.
so much so the kangaroo has disappeared, and now its a totally different car. super smooth. ( so much I now love it again :) ). So i concur with everyone who has hd a software update to rrange as soon as possible for a smoth running car again (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry gents for the late reply.
Audi York did check to see if the car had the latest software in the ECU and it has.They kept it over night and said they could not fault it. I took it home and tied it the following morning and it still does it.
As I’ve been busy I’m going back today. I will keep you posted.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts