Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really hope they'll see the sense in the situation, in that there's a software update for my specification of vehicle, and therefore I presume they'd apply when it came in for a service anyway, so why not do it when I'm bringing the car in for the specific fault the patch is supposed to fix.....

I'm not getting anything out of the whole debacle, I just want a car that's capable of moving off at low speed without juddering!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Gonda, still Kangaroo free.

It is shameful of the actions that your dealership is undertaking. They ought to be named? It may be worth having a chat with your salesperson and asking them to speak to the service manager and sales manager. State that you’ve purchased the car in good faith with a known problem. Audi Uk state there is a fix and dealerships are aware of this. Diagnostic checks will not find the problem so reject a charge if one requested. It will be difficult for the technician to fault this unless they have the vehicle for a while and use from cold. Winter coming on will only make the problem worse.

I have heard that some Audi/VAG owners have rejected their vehicles on the Kangarooing issue. Not known if this was in a specific period over and above the normal rejection period, perhaps other members may be able to answer?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Gonda, still Kangaroo free.

It is shameful of the actions that your dealership is undertaking. They ought to be named? It may be worth having a chat with your salesperson and asking them to speak to the service manager and sales manager. State that you’ve purchased the car in good faith with a known problem. Audi Uk state there is a fix and dealerships are aware of this. Diagnostic checks will not find the problem so reject a charge if one requested. It will be difficult for the technician to fault this unless they have the vehicle for a while and use from cold. Winter coming on will only make the problem worse.

I have heard that some Audi/VAG owners have rejected their vehicles on the Kangarooing issue. Not known if this was in a specific period over and above the normal rejection period, perhaps other members may be able to answer?
Glad to hear you're still kangaroo free! It's going into Nottingham (my local dealership) whom I ended up deciding not to buy from as they were incredibly unhelpful during the buying process. I've got Derby as my backup option where the salesperson I ordered from was really helpful and I've already had a chat with about the issue, will see how it goes when I drop the car in on Monday and explain the situation, hopefully they'll be a little more open minded...

Out of interest, is it stated anywhere officially by Audi that there's a problem that they're aware of? I know we've both been told verbally by Audi UK, so I guess my fallback is to ask the service tech to call audi UK if they're difficult about it.

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
Just a reminder to all those suffering with the issue and unable to get their local dealer to get their thumbs out of their corporate bums, the legal position is simpler than they care to admit. The Sale Of Goods Act specifically states that the goods must be safe, of merchantable quality, fit for purpose and as advertised. Now, kangerooing is not only unspecified, it is demonstrably dangerous, rendering the car not fit for purpose, not of merchantable quality nor as advertised.

This puts responsibility firmly in the lap of the vendor to either fix, replace or refund promptly. Don't be afraid to remind them of this when dealing with them and dismiss any bluff, bluster and bullsh*t about it being a "characteristic" of the car. Just stick to your guns and go over their heads if necessary.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Spot on.
My plan last night was a windscreen sized poster set on the dashboard saying that the car is unsafe, Audi say it is but this dealer doesn’t care.
Then park the car across their entrance door.

I do have to ask why you didn’t take the car back to the dealer you bought it from, even if it is a not too bad distance away.
The dealer you have chosen doesn’t ‘owe you anything’ so it’s unlikely they will help you out enthusiastically.
That said, they should try to make you want to go to them.

Mine was a used car so I had to trek to Essex (across the Thames ?) to get what I wanted but when it had a fault light come up, I wasn’t going to take it that far so called my local dealer....who couldn’t care less.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Honestly? It's something I thought wasn't really an issue with the car, more likely my driving style (which I know sounds ridiculous now), especially being one of those things that can be explained away by driving style.

Over time I've become more convinced that it was an issue with the car, which having seen this thread, I now realised is likely the case. Regarding why I'm not taking it back to the dealer I bought it from (yet), it's not easy for me to take it in during the working week, whereas my local dealership is easier. Besides, it's an Audi under warranty, it shouldn't matter which service centre I take the car into.

·
Registered
426 Posts
TFSI EA211 and before EVOs have always had this kangarooing problem... I don't think they'll ever get completely rid of it. I don't know what it is... probably the stratified gas injection being too lean under certain conditions that couldn't be cured with an ECU condition related programming.

It's a shame Audi does this but I feel that's the least of their problems when VAG are still building the DQ200 trashbox that let down users by the millions probably. Other than that it's a pretty decent engine although not a very robust one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It shouldn’t matter where you take it Gonda from a warranty perspective but, sadly, it definitely is from a quality of service one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah I appreciate where you're coming from David, hopefully in this instance I get lucky.

I took the car in last night ready to be looked at today. I'd prepared myself for having to battle with them over it, but thankfully they'd done some research and had found a bulletin from Audi regarding the issue, and so were aware of the software update proposed as the fix.

With a bit of luck I'll get a call this afternoon saying it's been applied. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Gonda, I think you deserve an apology from this dealership? Anyway hope things go well and the fix resolves your Q3 problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi CityQ, I won't hold my breath! Picked the car up last night, with the issue replicated by the tech and the software update applied, no kangaroo to speak of when pulling away from the dealership which is a good start, haven't driven the car to work today so will see how it goes over the next few days. Thanks again to those who posted on here regarding the issue, I feel much more positive about the car now it's hopefully possible to drive it with control at low speeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 35 1.5 manual s line has been back for 2 software updates and while the lurching at low speed is better the problem still remains. Car now back at dealer again who has supplied brand new(40 mile on clock) q 3 sport as a comparison. This does the same if not worse. Yesterday when in 1st gear with little but steady throttle input the vehicle, of its own accord,
suddenly increase revs and accelerated then dropped revs and decelerated. This cycled several times until I intervened!

·
Registered
710 Posts
This really is not good.

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
Sounds like a horribly rushed, inadequately tested software fix. I wonder if they subcontracted it to Microsoft? :)

They're going to have to rectify this PFQ before that engine acquires a reputation it doesn't want.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The (absolute) latest software fix is getting some good feedback on other forums - the question is whether that particular version has yet reached Audi dealerships, as typically VAG seem to trial it first on Skoda, then Seat, then VW, then Audi. I think it's just starting to get to the VW stage as those who have recently had the software update applied are suggesting that whilst (for some) there is still the odd hesitation, there are a lot less seeing the "roo".

This has been discussed a lot on the VW forums as to whether its a software or hardware (read component) issue, as some engines are working perfectly fine, others not and there seems no logic to it - hence why some are querying whether there are some dodgy components on some engines, but not on others.

Friend of mine who had the "roo" on his 4 month old Ateca just had the update applied the other week and advises that things are "a lot better". Guess we'll find out as the colder weather moves in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have to say I've not experienced it in the week or so I've had the car back post-fix. It's a remarkable difference actually, fingers crossed it stays that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I finally got round to taking the car in for the software update this week. It's early days but the transformation of cold start smoothness is marked. I am able to drive at a steady speed with a constant pressure on the accelerator. Something that was previously impossible. I think the idle speed is slightly raised which helps with the lack of response when pulling away. The fix seems to be working well. The car drives as it should have from the beginning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep over a month on for me and not had a repeat episode. Really pleased as now it's fixed, have realised how much it was bugging me! Glad yours is fixed too Andrew

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ve put up with this problem for past six months and, after taking car to Poole Audi for another problem and being told that there was no fix available, I’ve booked the car into Southampton Audi. This is mainly for them to look at a problem that appeared on Sunday night. When I started the car, I got a warning light and a message to take the car to a workshop! On the return journey and this morning the light and message did not appear???
After booking the car in, I spoke to someone in the service dept about a fix for the kangarooing problem. This person professed never to have heard about it so, I’m not too sure they will be able to fix it.

Could anyone who has had this update successfully applied, please let me know which dealer did it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
An update was applied this morning to the engine ECU, hopefully, that will sort it out.
For anyone who needs it, this was TPI 204885/13.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts