Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new model 1.5 petrol manual S line. Very pleased with it but I am suffering from the kangarooing issue that many VAG cars have with this engine. It is just for the first few hundred metres and is only a problem when I start off and have to move slowly around a car park. You have to repeatedly press the clutch to get any sort of smooth progress. It's not so bad if you pull away and get up to speed. Has anyone else experienced this and discussed it with their dealer? I'm interested to hear how you got on. As far as I am aware there is no "fix" available yet. Thanks.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the DSG gearbox on my Q3 sport and I have noticed this problem when the engine is cold too.
I’m taking the car in for Poole Audi to have a look at the Pre - Sense problem I’m experiencing on Friday. Hopefully they are one of the dealers who know how to fix this problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Suggest try a tank-full of Shell V-Power and let us all know if this improves matters.

Reactions: Q3Audi273

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
A friend of mine's daughter bought a brand new 1.5 A3 Saloon a couple of months ago which exhibited this from day one.
The dealer confirmed that there was no current fix but they would be “first in the queue” when one is found - alongside all the others no doubt!

She rejected the car and to be fair the dealer was very supportive and ended up offering a cracking deal on a TT as an alternative to her money back which she went for in the end (the TT that is). She may have had an easier time as her family are long-standing customers who have bought about 8 new cars in recent years.

Auto express seems to suggest some dealers are more helpful than others if a rejection is suggested but if you are within a reasonable time frame I think you are on pretty firm ground once you start quoting consumer protection act etc.

Personally I would be very wary of letting the dealer “tinker” with this Until there is an official fix - doing so adds to your inconvenience and weakens your chances of rejection as time goes by. If you do decide to put it the hands of the dealer I would get it in writing from the dealer principle that by allowing an attempt to fix this known problem it is understood that you retain your right for rejection under the consumer protection act etc.

Good luck with this 8 really hope it is resolved to your satisfaction

·
Registered
112 Posts
Suggest try a tank-full of Shell V-Power and let us all know if this improves matters.
After fighting through the bank holiday traffic up to Gatwick to pick up no.2 son last Friday,
He topped up my fuel with half a tank of V-Power. It was still kangarooing from cold yesterday morning.
There was one good result from using the shell posh petrol, I did 150 miles on less than a quarter of a tank. When I switched off it actually read an eighth of a tank used.

Oh dear! The MPG went down on the return leg. Same route and used half a tank on it, more traffic on return leg and more road works.

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
What I find most horrific about the AutoExpress article it the fact that main dealers have refused rejections of affected vehicles on the grounds that it is a "characteristic" of the engine, not a fault.

REALLY??

I'd just LOVE to see that tested in court. It's a FAULT, FFS. Otherwise why would VAG be sweating blood to try to produce a fix for a characteristic...

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sorry to interrput... in the VAG world this has happened several times (sued in court, class action and/or authority investigation and/or compensation order).

Customers have only had a very partial success in the USA and more recently in China. I am speaking to you driving a car that should have been impounded and considerably modified but somehow managed to get away with a remap. They literally prefer one of their best men being arrested (Audi's CEO) than having to deal with real consequences... when interests coincide.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Reactions: Q3Audi273

·
Registered
25 Posts
Potential fix - thank goodness

Having previously owned two TDI Q3s (last one an S Line Plus) took the gamble to purchase a 1.5 TFSI manual S Line (with comfort pack and other extras). This following all the hype about dieselgate.

What a bad move. I feel for all the kangarooing problem car owners and hope the fix is imminent. As VAW new about the engine/gearbox/emission challenges way before the new Q3 launch then the launch of the new Q3 should have been suspended. Audi big chiefs decision failure.

Audi UK acknowledge that my car is one of the problem cars. I urge Q3 owners with the kangarooing problems to contact Audi UK to make sure their issue is registered with them. You too maybe first-in-line to have the fix done?

I did raise the question on changing to a new Q3 in a thread under the New Audi Q3 News heading. Should have stayed with my gut feeling which was to stay with the old S Lin TDI Plus. It was a far better quality car (not so up-to-date with the new electronics but there again the extra cost pay for that). The paintwork of the new car seems a little on the poor side and the drive hard work.

Good luck to all Kangarooers on a fix to resolve (Hope it won't be a neck collar as a fix)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my 2019 1.5ltr Q3 sport for 2 weeks now. Same kangerooing issue. The dealership have been great so far. They have raised a case with Audi UK and are now looking at the options of putting me in a different car.
The issue now is what car do I go into that's as close to a "like for like". I said I'd be happy to sit in the 2ltr however at what cost since I dont believe I should be the one to fork out. Any suggestions as to an alternative car???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Milligan, Currently going through a vehicle changeout due to the vehicle hesitation/Kangarooing issue on my 2019 S line model. Like yourself, the dealership have been great (so far). Clearly they can only offer a like for like if PCP in place and at no additional cost to purchaser if a fix cannot be undertaken. Audi UK are still trying to resolve.

Did look at the new Edition 1 specification but unsure of the black trim. However, by taking the new Edition 1 option it would have been classed as a new car purchase with adjustments/inclusion for like-for-like changeout for old car i.e. pay extra/change PCP contract...

One other thing you may have to look at if you have a 2019 model is the changes now the MY2020 model is now out for ordering (2019 spec not now available to order). If you had the high beam assist and folding door mirrors as a paid for option then you cannot have this on a 2020 model. High beam assist is not available and the folding door mirrors is included in the 2020 model without the auto dimming facility. It seems that many options have been taken away so that you move up to a higher spec car to enjoy these.

One other thing is the 2020 engine has been re-assessed/modified due to new emissions requirements. Hopefully the Kangarooing may be resolved with this 2020 engine? We will see.

Good luck on your options - keep the post updated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fix now available for 1.5 TFSI manual Q3 vehicle hesitation/ kangarooing problem. Software download earlier in the week and so far all’s now okay. Will monitor for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am so glad I logged back in to this site - having had the Q3 1.5tfsi manual for about 5 months now I'd managed to convince myself my clutch control was appalling, I KNEW it wasn't me suddenly developing an inability to drive after so many years. Will be getting onto my dealership to find out what they're doing about it.

Edit: CityQ - was this a download at dealership?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Gonda, the download was undertaken by the dealership. I only found out about the fix when I called Audi UK to ask the question. They took the reg no and said a fix for my car was ready to go. Informed to book it in with the dealer. It seems that no call up will be done and the download for vehicles affected will be done when the vehicle is next in for service/repair?

When the fix was done on my new vehicle the dealership stated that they were unaware of the fix although they were pleased of it. They were now going to let other customers with the same issue of the fix.

Worth a call to Audi UK to see if your Q3 is ready to go.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Gonda, the download was undertaken by the dealership. I only found out about the fix when I called Audi UK to ask the question. They took the reg no and said a fix for my car was ready to go. Informed to book it in with the dealer. It seems that no call up will be done and the download for vehicles affected will be done when the vehicle is next in for service/repair?

When the fix was done on my new vehicle the dealership stated that they were unaware of the fix although they were pleased of it. They were now going to let other customers with the same issue of the fix.

Worth a call to Audi UK to see if your Q3 is ready to go.
THanks CityQ, have just called Audi UK customer services and they couldn't have been less helpful. Who/what number did you call them on out of interest?

Edit: Have called Audi UK again and got a much more helpful person (the first guy just told me I'd need to go to my dealership as they weren't technically trained in customer services), had to really carefully explain the issue and the background reading I'd done, as when he pulled up my car details nothing showed as being available issue/update wise. He then spoke to a technical colleague about it, who advised him there was in fact a software update ready for my vehicle for this very issue, so he's gone off to call my dealership and tell them what the issue is and what the fix should be.

You're a hero CityQ - had you not posted your experience I wouldn't have had a chance of getting to the point of getting this fixed anytime soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad to be of help. Unfortunately, you sometimes get some inexperienced or can't be bothered to put themselves out customer service team members. However, you can get some really helpful ones as you did the second time.

Hope the fix works on your Q3 (it will). Suggest you also make sure you contact your dealership to confirm booking - only took around an hour including a complementary car wash. Allows a chat, look around current stock, a coffee and read of a paper etc if your dealership provides this service?.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The dealership have been a little difficult about it tbh, it's booked in with them for diagnosis on Tuesday, but they flat out refused to just book it in for the software update - instead they want to check the fault first for themselves (which I can understand, but I'll be insisting they perform the update regardless of whether their technician manages to replicate it).

Presume you're still kangaroo free then CityQ post-fix?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Words fail me.
Are they going to charge you for the inspection if they claim it is ok?

I had the same with my wife’s Mini. It normally only did 5 miles each way to work so never really got going.
In the winter, as soon as it got below 3C it would always start ok but anywhere between 10 and 400 yards it would stall as she pulled out of a junction. This went on for some weeks, depending on temperature.
We took it to the dealer while the weather was cold and told them to keep it overnight. Stunningly, they said they couldn’t make it do it....is this standard dealer practice? They never seem to be able to replicate faults.
I asked them to park it overnight and I would be over at opening time to show them. Within their parking area it did it twice.
He didn’t admit a fault was there but said they would ‘look at it’.
Surprise surprise, they couldn’t find a fault.

The Mini forum I frequented suggested the guy who prepared the Mini Challenge race cars. One phone call....’it’s a clogged by pass valve. It thinks it doesn’t need richening for cold weather’.
Two days later, all fixed and it never returned as we always tried to do a longer journey regularly.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts