Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I want put 19"Audi 10 spoke wheels on my Q3 Quattro SE. Currently it is sat on the 17" standard Audi Alloy wheels which came with the car.
(Pictures below show what I'd like to achieve )

Does anyone foresee any problems doing this?
Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Will 19" wheels fit on a Quattro SE with standard suspension?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club!

Well, as they were offered as an option they should fit without any issues providing you stick to the genuine article. They will, however, have one heII of a detrimental effect on comfort, ride quality, tyre price and vulnerability of both wheels and tyres to kerbing and similar sidewall damage. If looking cool is more important to you than those points then by all means go for it.

Reactions: Ashcolb

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum
19" x 8.5J rims with 255/40 tyres were a factory option on the SE. If you stick with that tyre size the rolling radius will be the same as your 17" wheels so wheel arch clearance and the speedo reading will be unaffected

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi all,
I want put 19"Audi 10 spoke wheels on my Q3 Quattro SE. Currently it is sat on the 17" standard Audi Alloy wheels which came with the car.
(Pictures below show what I'd like to achieve )

Does anyone foresee any problems doing this?
Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Will 19" wheels fit on a Quattro SE with standard suspension?

Many thanks in advance!

View attachment 1230

View attachment 1231
As has already been said, they will fit without a problem. Your 17 inch rims had a sidewall height of 129mm, the 19inch rims will reduce that to 102mm, a reduction of 27mm in cushioning will be noticeable, and more care in parking near a curb needed. There is a small reduction of 3mm on the overall diameter which will not be noticeable Interestingly on the current Q3 with 19inch rims the tyres fitted have a 50 aspect ratio and not the 40 aspect of previous, therefore ride difference will be a lot less compared to 17 inch as the sidewall reduction is only 11mm

I have moved from 17 to 19 rims but the tyre change was from 235/55/R17 on an SE with adjustable dampers to 235/50/R19 on an S Line with fixed sport suspension, the ride in terms of sway and cornering is greatly improved and my opinion the ride over bumps and potholes is only somewhat harsher but much quicker to recover. I have not noticed any noise difference, the 17's were Continental and the 19'are Hankook.

I suggest you talk to your Audi distributor to find out if the Audi fitted tyres on their 2018 model 19 inch wheels will go with the previous 19 inch wheels, as the tyre width is quite different.

I think this all comes about due to current tyres being designed for all weather.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the warm welcome @Gromit and @spike, Your thoughts on this are much appreciated.
Sounds like If I stick to the genuine Audi standard size 19" with the correct tyre profile I should be ok. @Gromit you are not kidding on tyre price. Just been looking now.?Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for all the great Info @essenbob. Good to hear your personal experience on this. I shall have to make sure I have a word with my local Audi garage. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Thank you very much for all the great Info @essenbob. Good to hear your personal experience on this. I shall have to make sure I have a word with my local Audi garage. Much appreciated.
I just checked the spec of the latest Q3 alloys and the 19" rims are 7" wide (down from 8.5") which explains why the tyre size is now 235 / 50 / 19.
If you go for 'old' spec alloys I think this tyre size would be rather stretched on an 8.5" wide rim.

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi @spike, thanks for this! Forgive my ignorance... but When you say 'rather stretched' what do you mean?
Thanks Ash

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi @spike, thanks for this! Forgive my ignorance... but When you say 'rather stretched' what do you mean?
Thanks Ash
There is a 'sweet spot' when selecting compatible tyre and rim widths. For 7" wide rims, a 235 section tyre seems to be the preferred choice of Audi, possibly giving the best compromise of ride comfort, rim protection and traction in poor conditions. Fitting the same tyre to 8.5" wide rims stretches the tyre sidewall making it stiffer which (within reason) can improve steering response but at the expense of those other factors. The extremes are illustrated here -

Cheers Spike

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Ah yes, stretched tyres - normally the reserve of chavs driving lowered Corsas and similar, utterly convinced that their efforts make them and the cars look cool whilst completely oblivious to the fact that to everyone else they look complete t1ts. :p

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hope your car stays that clean.
Bought a new bike a couple of weeks ago....ridden it twice and washed it twice.
But maybe the colour hasn’t helped.
C7873954-4A95-447A-889D-E6304276DE7A.jpeg

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Nice, I finally grew out of bikes after my second foray into them back in 2003...was doing a lot of road miles back then behind the wheel and getting out on a bike at the weekends was the last thing I needed. In 2008 I discovered clay shooting and that unlike motor vehicles that depreciate terribly - equally tangibly-tactile objects like quality shotguns hold their value really well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hello. Here in Italy we usually cannot fit other sizes that change the rolling circumference of the tire. I can't see a reason to change that... the newer Q3 F3 has different wheel wells.

Using non-original alloy wheels is a very good alternative to buy new overpriced Audi wheels.

The wheel bolts are 5x112 all across the VAG group, central hub 57,1 or 66,65 cm, the Q3 can accept both (the latter w/ adapter rings, usually always provided with new alloys, since the hub is of the smaller size).

The best channel size to accomodate 235 mm tread width is 8" and 8.5" respectively for 255 mm tread. You can enjoy better handling and less tread wear on the sides using a properly stretched tire. This can also lead to better comfort, using nominal tire pressure values rather than increased ones to preserve the sides.

Using non-Audi wheels you can pick your ET to be inline with Audi specs or be more in-line with the fender... the original Audi spec for 255/40 R19 8.5J is ET 36. 18" Audis are more recessed than 19".

Should you need new bolts there are two types, one with conical base and one with trapezoidal shape. The original Audi alloy wheels accept conical wheel bolts, and so do the vast majority of the replicas and compatibile wheels, so you can re-use your old ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts