Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried an old-fashioned CD for the first time today, played like a charm, but everything just showed up on the display as "track 1", "track 2" and so on. Maybe because I don't have the most expensive options for this? (No Audio sound system, but Concert radio w/DAB+.)
On the positive side, I realized that in the "sources" list, my phone just showed up! I selected it and it started to play some file on it. Didn't show a playlist or directory structure or anything, but I was still positively surprised - would have thought I would need some streaming app or something!
My biggest problem these days is this: Have a beer/glass of wine, or skip it in order to be able to drive instead?! Argh... tough choices...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have the Technology Pack system - with the Jukebox hard disk, and when I played a recent CD (The Soldiers) the system named all of the tracks and the CD - how old was the CD you played?
I was kind of assuming that the track names etc were held on the CD in some coded form - but that may only be for new(ish) CDs?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may have been too old. (10-20 years? Don't remember, some old Jack Teagarden compilation.) It's in the car right now, but I'm taking a stack and trying some more now.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My last car (Dodge Avenger) had a "Gracenote" Music Database on the Hard Disk, which recognised the tracks on certain "popular" CD's - but had to be updated - no idea how the Audi does it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The only method how the track titles can be stored into a CD is called as CD-Text (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text) but there is a good change that the head unit does not support it (does it?) or the CD does not have the CD-Text in place.

One way to go around the problem is the Dodge way (as Jules mentioned) - but the database must be alway up to date.

Mp3's are storing the metadata (e.g., track title) in a different way.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Interesting article on CD text - so in theory CDs since 1996 may have text encoded in them - and the Audi unit can read that

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think my standard unit can show these texts, or if this is wrong, I have not yet tried a CD instrumented with such text.
However, the mp3 files on an SD card will show up with the actual file names used, and this is how I will supply all my music, so I'm actually set I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts