Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I’m having an annoying run with technology. I think some of you are whizzo on this although we are an Apple family.

We live in a mobile signal black hole so need wifi calling. I am a very low user so was on 3 PAYG but they started getting cheeky with their charges and they have the worst reception in our area. However, the wifi calling worked fine with text and phone.

The best reception according to the OFCOM website was, allegedly, O2 so I took out a cheap monthly contract and the wifi calling is fine for phone calls but I am having problems with texts, particularly authentication codes for things like paypal, banks etc and we can only get a normal signal by going 50m down the garden or by standing in the road. The first is annoying, the second a tad dangerous.

O2 said this morning that the nearest transmitter 3.5km away has been off for 10 days but it shouldn’t affect texts. I have also now set the phone to 3g but that doesn’t seem to help as texts are apparently on 2g anyway. This may partly be why I’m having so many issues sorting out the car communication stuff.

Any thoughts and ideas that don’t include going Android?
Maybe going back to 3 is the only option…O2 said they won‘t charge me a fee for aborting if I have to move back. At least I knew they usually worked.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Researching this for you opened a bit of a can of worms, but the basic message is that O2 does not support SMS via wifi calling. They've been saying for years that it's "very difficult to implement but they expect to achieve it next year" for about the last four. Your only solution is to go to a provider that does include it and also covers your area. There's a rumour afoot that EE offer it, so check them out first.

Whilst I'd far rather see you on Android devices for a whole host of reasons they wouldn't help you in this case. The fact that the nearest O2 relay is currently down isn't helping your situation at all either.

·
Registered
500 Posts
So having authentication text messages while on O2 WiFi is giving you trouble as I understood ?
It's O2 problem they need to sort out, these operators have contracts with 3rd party companies in short which means that is not configured properly for such SMS.
Was it OK on 3UK ?
Also for signal strength most of the times these operators share the base station so it might be O2 and 3UK in your area using the same just an assumption.
For me it should work seamlessly on WiFi or regular mobile network that's how we test anyway, something is missing in O2 network configuration then.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
500 Posts
On the other hand usually those authentication sites give you several options if WiFi call is working fine then probably you can use the call option instead of SMS for time being.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Correct. Current O2 status is "not available yet but we're working on it." This appear to have been the case for the last three or four years with no sign of it being completed.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks chaps - I knew I could rely on you.

Why couldn’t O2 have told me that…although the lady I spoke to today hinted at something in that direction. I didn’t know there was a possibility SMS wouldn’t work or equally think there could be a problem in the first place. :mad:

Yes, it worked fine on 3 but they are a bit pricier on their monthly packages as well but at least they (should) work as it was fine while I had the PAYG going. If I used the phone a lot I wouldn’t care but I’m on the cusp of PAYG to monthly and thought the latter was more comfortable as 3 didn’t give you updates on remaining funds and I ran out of everything while out and about and needing the phone. Ironically, if the phone won’t work I can’t top it up.

I won’t do anything until we are back from our little jaunt next week and wifi calling should be irrelevant on holiday.

Paypal will change options but the other ones I did only seemed to offer using my mobile but, at the time, I didn’t realise there was a problem.

Thanks again
David

Reactions: Gromit
1 - 6 of 6 Posts