Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one got it fitted? How well does it work.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, I've not hit anything yet.
I've only got the audio sensors/dis screen - not the camera or auto-park though

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have it fitted, had it demo'd to me when I took delivery of the car and it reversed into a rightangle space perfectly. I've tried to use it on several occasions since without much success and have put it down to user error/stupidity for the moment. I am going to have a proper look over Christmas when I have a little more time.

The rear camera works perfectly though. I will update you and if I can get it to work shoot a video of it in action over the break.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks please keep us updated.
Dek

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the park assist as part of the tech package and Audi decided to give me the auto-park as well for some reason :)

The parking sensors work great. It provides an on-screen image and is able to extrapolate the side distances as well to give a full surround view.
The camera I find most useful when backing into a space and being able to visually see how much gap there is to the wall/barrier. Still use the mirrors and turn my head when reversing mostly.

Auto-park haven't been 100% reliable. Works well only half the time. Note I've only used it in perpendicular parking scenarios. I find that when it fails, it likes to manoeuvre the car very close to other cars which is a bit scary. It also failed miserably when I tried to make it self-park in an empty car park. It decided to park itself diagonally across three spaces. Probably the car's personality...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have only the thing which shows the car + "obstacle bars" in front and back on the big screen, plus audio of course. I have to say it's absolutely great. Without it I would surely have been forced to go outside to check distances in a number of situations...! :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I also have park assist (ie auto parking). Like the experience of others on here, I find it works "sometimes". Parallel aprking seems to be ok, but when it fails it seems to be because it cannot sense the kerb. Perpendicular parking is even less successful, to the extent that I rely on doing what I have done for the last 40 years odd!The sensors on their own are great, though!"

·
Registered
518 Posts
Auchh, I think the problem when trying to perpendicular park into a space larger than a single car parking spot is that the side sensors probably don't know where the parking space boundaries are. The system obviously doesn't see the white lines, so if you are perpendicular parking into an otherwise empty car park, it ahs no reference points to control steering wheel movement.Having said that, it isn't that brilliant even with a single car space! Parallel parking works quite well, though, except when the kerb is quite low and the system, I suspect, cannot sense where the kerb is

·
Registered
613 Posts
The only times I have seen this system demonstrated (on a VW - same system?) the car failed completely to parallel park or fit between two cars on a garage forecourt - much to the salesman's annoyance...

I'm glad Ididn't invest in the fullparkingsystem - but the Camera option would have been good - it's often the case that bushes and other "soft" overhangsbehind a parking space give false positives.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The rear camera with front and rear sensors is great, I use it all the time and it's very useful to know what's going on immediately behind me when reversing. The park assist neither assists me or parks my car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the whole it works rather well - at both parallel and perpendicular parking. It can impress your passengers when the steering wheel moves of it own accord. It cannot over-ride human common sense though (bit like Satnav)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts